Reload this Page >

Hotel advice in Prague and Budapest--PLEASE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 10:29 AM
scmuller

My husband and I will be visiting Prague and Budapest this summer and I'd love to hear from anyone who knows of or has stayed at any of the hotels that we've reserved. In Prague we've reserved a suite at The House at the Charles Bridge in Mala Strana (website says it's located in an old brewery). Let me know if you know anything about it. <BR>In Budapest we are unfortunately going to be there at Grand Prix time and haven't had much luck finding available rooms. Right now we have reservations for a suite at the Hotel Dunapart (located in a boat docked on the Danube) and a room at the Hilton WestEnd --these were literally the only reservations that I've been able to get. I'd like to stay somewhere in Budapest that is conveniently located for sightseeing and that is as comfortable and nice as possible. I really need advice about these two hotels. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 10:42 AM
s.fowler

Now *that's* bad timing all right I assume "westend" Hilton means it's near the edge of the city. If you are on a good tram line that's not that big a problem. The Hotel Dunapart is pretty ordinary [be sure you get a waterside room when you get there] and DON'T eat at the restaurant. On the other hand the location is quite good. You are very near Bathyanyi Ter metro stop on the red line. <BR> <BR>Did you check all the hotels in the Danubius gruop? They have a web site.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 10:49 AM
s.fowler

Here it is: http://www.danubiusgroup.com/index.html

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 11:04 AM
s.fowler

Just looked up the "westend" Hilton. I'd pick it hands down. It seems to be just beyond the parliament building, which isn't "dead" central, but a lot of stuff is walkable from there and the metro stop looks close-ish. Given the choice between the Hilton and the boat hotel, I'd take the Hilton, hands down. The boat hotel looked pretty bad IMHO.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 12:50 PM
eva

I'm a guide in Budapest.Be very happy to have any reservation for this period I remember having groups 40 km-s from the town during F1.Westend Hilton is new, opened in Nov or Dec.If you have any chance, the riverside hotels are better,but this period it is the best.It is situated in the biggest shopping mall of the town, full of restaurants etc..Metro station is in a 3-4 min walking distance,City center is 2nd stop,5 min.Be prepared that Formula 1' weekend is peek for pick pockets.If Schumacher wins all the restaurants will be full with drunken germans,if Hakkinen wins with much more <BR>drunken finns. <BR>If you have any question about Budapest.ask me.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 12:59 PM
s.fowler

Thanks for your "on the spot" advice Eva. And your description of the F1 aftermath had to make me smile. The advice about pickpockets during that period is certainly well made. Thanks for posting!

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 10:23 PM
xx

four seasons just opened in prague. i'm not sure what your budget is, but it's new & it's the fs you can't go wrong!!!