Horseback Riding in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone could recommend stables or areas in general which would be great to find good stables for riding. I'm looking a stable where we could possibly take a 2 hour ride. I've heard Dingle and Connemara are great,any other areas in SW or W Ireland?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Here are some options on Dingle for horseback riding or pony trekking:

http://www.dinglehorseriding.com/rides.htm

http://www.longsriding.com/treks.html

I haven't used them personally, but I think Dingle would be a great place to give it a try. Both offer beach treks. We went for a ride in Donegal that was fantastic.

Bill
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM

If you are looking for something further south, try Waterville. While investigating a golf course there, we saw some riders out on the tidelands. It looked lovely---I wanted to join them! I couldn't find anything specific for you on the web, but this page mentions the area as a "paradise" for pony trekking:

http://www.butlerarms.com/waterville.html

Perhpas they could suggest a stable.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I can vouch for the Dingle Stables. When I was home in 1998, my daughter, my nephew and I went pony trekking. We just went for a little over an hour and did not go on the beach. We went riding up in the hills and it was just beautiful. The views down to the town and over the bay were lovely. And the horses were very nice and quiet. My nephew had not ridden much at all. There were just 5 of us and they took those of us with a little more experience for a nice gallop while the beginners let the horses graze for a bit.

There are a lot of stables around Ireland and you will see signs for pony trekking. You can check with the Tourist Offices also. I have ridden at a farm in Mullingar but it was just through the fields with a few little log jumps. Riding in the southwest was much nicer!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Ok now this one is a mix of my itinerary issues and horseback riding issues since I haven't figured out all my overnights yet. I'm assuming there are good pubs and restaurants in Kenmare, Killarney and Dingle so evenings in any of these towns would be enjoyable. Would it make more sense to have a base in Killarney and make an early morning drive out to go riding or do one or two nights in Kenmare and also Dingle to make it to a stable. I'm going under the assumption that most rides are pretty early in the day and I'm travelling with kids that are difficult to get up in the morning ;-P

Maureencol: Was Dingle stables hard to get to? Where were you staying when you went there?

Enzian: Thanks for suggesting Waterville, I didn't realize there was anything available there also.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Castle Leslie used to have a very good equestrian Center..not sure if they still do as I went a number of years ago. Vey well run and excellent mounts.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM

The Equestrian Center at Castle Leslie was still there in 2004, that much I can tell you. And yes, it was very nice. We stayed at Castle Leslie which was quite an interesting experience. Very authentic castle and great food.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I would do a couple nights each in Kenmare and Dingle. Yes, there are plenty of good dining and drinking opportunities in all of the above. Dingle probably has the best choice of traditional Irish music of the three.

Bill
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Everyone thanks for all the help Dingle Horseriding looks like it will work perfect for us while we're staying in town there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

Dingle Stables is very easy to get to. It is just outside the town. If you ask at your B&B or the Tourist Office, they will give you directions. I would either stop by first or call to see when they can take you. Sometimes they might have a group coming and want to wait for them.

We stayed at Lovett's Hostel when we were there. It is just as you come into town on the east side. They do have a website. It's a hostel, so maybe you might be looking at staying in a B&B. It only cost 6 punts a night back then but I see now they are something like 12E. There are plenty of nice B&B's in Dingle of which many on the board can recommend.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:57 AM

We went horseback riding in Dingle this past June...we used Long's Stable. It was just outside of Dingle and easy to get to. We did an afternoon ride in the hills...great views of the coast...if you want to ride on the beaches you need to schedule morning. (I believe I included some pics from our trip on a previous post).

Dingle and Kenmare were everyone's favorites...great pubs, dining, shopping, and strolling around.