Hopping a train from airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to visit my dad outside of Dijon as a surprise. Is it easy to hop on a train from the airport in Paris, or should I make reservations before I leave the U.S.?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Checking www.sncf.com I only see one train per day from CDG to Dijon. It departs 7:24pm and arrives 9:20pm.

If this fits your arrival that's excellent. If not you'll need to go to Paris' Gare de Lyon where there are more options.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Frequent TGV from Gare de Lyon to Dijon takes less than 2 hours. You could take RER then Metro to the gare, or take AirFrance bus to Gare Montparnasse,the bus stops by Gare de Lyon.

It isn't necessary to reserve ahead, usually I just buy ticket when arriving the train station.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I think a lot of the TGVs from CDG that go to Avignon stop in Lyon. I would check out TGV schedules to Lyon and then check schedules for regular trains from Lyon to Dijon. There's more than one way to skin this cat, I think. In any event, if you're going to use the TGV, make your reservations before you leave - and try to get one of the special PREMs fares (even if you pay from CDG to Avignon and just get off at Lyon - it may be cheaper than a typical Paris-Lyon fare).
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you!! You guys are fast with the responses!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Sorry St Cirq, but the CDG-Lyon-Dijon solution you propose would be a nightmare! It is true that there is only one daily train out of CDG to Dijon, and if our friend's schedule is not compatible with the 19h24, he'll better get on an RER to Gare de Lyon and take the first TGV to Dijon. They are quite frequent and, unless you are travelling on a Friday night or a big holiday week-end, there will always be free seats even at the last minute.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Why would it be a nightmare, Art? I just went to the SNCF website and plugged in, arbitrarily, January 5 as a traveling date from CDG to Lyon and was told there are 5 trains (TGV) between 10 am and about 2 pm. Then I plugged in Lyon to Dijon and got six options. Looks pretty simple to me!!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:07 AM

C'mon Art, a "nightmare" from CDG to Lyon to Dijon? I don't think so.

You can catch a weekday 9:45am train from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu that arrives at 11:50. There's a 12:05pm train from Lyon Part Dieu arriving Dijon at 2:09pm.

Compare this to Gare de Lyon. You'll have the cost of a taxi, catching the AirFrance Roissy bus or taking the RER with a minimum of one Metro line change. Then you'll have a train from Gare de Lyon to Dijon.

I think the arrival time will really determine what's the most convenient.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:56 AM

9h45 to 14h09 is almost 4 1/2 hours, not to mention twice as much mileage (and cost) on the train via Lyon than straight. Gare de Lyon to Dijon is only 1h40. CDG to Gare de Lyon, at the unluckiest, 50 mn. You do the maths... At worst your overall time transport will be 2 1/2 hours, compared to 4 1/2 via Lyon, for half the price.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I am doing the math Art.

You're assuming you can catch a train to Dijon the instant you step into Gare de Lyon. Actually you can wait 1.5 hours for the next train to Dijon making the total trip as much as 4 hours. You've also forgotten the 9 euros to ride the RER to Gare de Lyon.

9 euro RER to Gare de Lyon with a 25 euro prem fare to Dijon makes 34euro and around 3.5 hours (could be shorter could be longer).

35 euro prem fare CDG to Lyon plus 25 euro fare to Dijon makes 60 euros at 4.5 hours.

Now it's down to luggage. If I have a small, rolling suitcase I'd take the 34 euro price tag in a snap. I'm cheap!

If I have any more luggage than that you couldn't pay me enough to take the RER into Paris. Especially with having to change Metro lines at Les Halles or Saint Michel. A taxi to Gare de Lyon will cost at least 35 euro making the trip through Paris 65 euros or more.

The AirFrance Roissy bus is about the same as an RER ticket as I recall. I'm not sure I would use it with a lot of luggage though. I'd have to research more. I also wonder about the time as busses and taxis can get caught in Paris' traffic jams.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:53 AM

To elsbrooks:

Buying from home, online, can mean the difference between paying 19€ and 48€. Many people have given you good advice about the better route (CDG to Gare de Lyon by regional train or "RER", and then on to Dijon by TGV), but their advice not to buy in advance is incomplete.

Though you shouldn't have trouble finding a seat at some point during the day, this is not the only consideration.

SNCF offers significant discounts to people who book a few weeks in advance. This is called "Prem's", and is primarily a 2nd Class offer, although 1st Class seats are now available here and there. The 2nd Class "Prem's" fare from Paris to Dijon is just 25€, versus a full, walk-up fare of 48€.

SNCF also offers significant discounts to people who book at the last minute. This is called "Derniere Minute" (last minute, literally). Routes and prices change from week to week, but for next week, the last-minute 2nd Class fare from Paris to Dijon is just 19€.

You can book full and special fares at http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ and pay with a U.S. credit card. You can print online special tickets at home, using your own printer. [The modalities for online full-fare tickets are different. We Americans must pick up such tickets at an SNCF station or at an SNCF boutique in town, and in practice, we must talk to an agent rather than use the automated ticket machine. This is still faster than initiating a new booking with the agent, and it does give us the security of having an advance reservation.]

The only drawback to "Prem's" and "Derniere Minute" tickets is that they are non-changeable and non-refundable. Whatever the reason, if you don't travel on the indicated train, you lose your money. Since I was already planning to buy travel insurance for my trip, and since my policy covered delays, missed connections, and non-refundable charges, I felt fine using non-changeable, non-refundable train tickets. You could hedge your bets by giving yourself a few extra hours in Paris.

If you feel safer with a full-fare ticket, it is better to buy this when you arrive at the station -- but only because SNCF's exhange policy for TGV tickets is so restrictive, in the event that you miss the train you've reserved.

Happy travels,

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM

One more point, that may not have been obvious: the regional train (RER) from CDG to the Gare de Lyon involves a separate ticket. The fare is just under 8€. To print an itinerary for this, go to:

http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php

Click "Station" in both the Departure and Arrival areas. Put "aeroport roissy cdg" in the Departure area and "gare de lyon" in the Arrival area.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't take the RER; the Air France bus #4 goes straight to Gare de Lyon.