Honeymoon plans

Dec 6th, 2000, 06:18 AM
lynne

Honeymoon plans

We are planning to honeymoon in Paris May 2001. As first time visitors any suggestions regarding package tours vs booking separately? Also where should we stay? We love to walk and plan to visit many of the museums. Thanks, Lynne

Dec 8th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Shanna

Lynne, my preference for going into a city or country to which I've not been is to arrange for a "tour" which includes flight, hotel, transfers, and where possible a half-day city tour. There are often choices of hotel, then I search the 'net to choose. That way there is no worry about getting settled in, and the half-day gives a good orientation. It also means no time schedules or large groups or annoying anything. The rest of the time is on your own. Many airlines have these types of tours - American Express used to and may again - and they can often offer day trips if you wish. Have fun in Paris, the most romantic city in the world (IMHO, Art) - you are living my dream honeymoon!

Dec 8th, 2000, 09:19 AM
AC

Hi Lynne;
Congratulations!!
Try www.airfrance.com and click on honeymoons. They have some great selections.
You'll get so many suggestions here.
One thing I did on my first trip was take a quick tour of the city on ParisVision. They are a small tour company that uses vans with 4-6 other people. The tour I took gave me a bit of flavor and then I kind of knew where things were and what I wanted to explore.
Plan on using the metro and buses. They are a terrific way to get around.
Check here for a search on a shuttle service from the airport. Well worth it. Good Luck!

Dec 8th, 2000, 09:23 AM
kathy

Dear Lynne,

My husband and I just went to Paris this November for our honeymoon and it was PERFECT! We did most of the planning ourselves--from hotel, airfare, transfers, etc. This forum provides a lot of good and reliable information that will make planning something on your own very easy. Although a package that includes air, hotel, etc. may be convenient, I've found that most of the hotels offered in the package are often not very romantic. With so many places to stay in Paris, you can find very charming and romantic hotels for less than what the package offers. Also, May might be considered high season in Paris, in which case the hotels in the package are usually over-priced anyhow.

Once I finish my trip report I'd be glad to send it to you if you like.

As for walking and musuems, you will be doing a lot of both. Definitely get the museum pass since it will reduce time spent in lines and you'll be able to glance at smaller museums that you'd otherwise be unwilling to pay for admission. Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Good luck!

Dec 8th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Susan

Lynne,
I love the left bank - but it depends what you are looking for. There are some really beautiful and VERY expensive hotels...and some extremely reasonable and adorable smaller ones. Keep in mind the French hotel rooms are much smaller than ours, so prepare your husband..especially if he's very tall. I recommend going into Barnes & Noble, going to the section on travel, sitting on the floor and looking at hotel books. Or just cruise the web under "Paris Hotels." I recently stayed at the Hotel Dauphine on the left bank with my mom. Small and quaint - serves breakfast and is walking distance to isle de la citie (Notre Dame & St Chapelle), and walking distance to the Louve and much more. If you prefer a fancier envionment, or a more "american" environment, check out things like the Hilton near the Eiffel Tower (that's about $200 per night) I've never stayed there...but a friend did.