Reload this Page >

Honeymoon on Amalfi coast and ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Amy/Mike

We're planning a 10 day honeymoon for late Sept/Oct. We are planning on spending a few days on the Amalfi coast, and for the rest of the trip, we are undecided yet as to where to go. We would like to receive suggestions on what is "do-able" in terms of driving distances and sights. We love wines, but Tuscany seems a little too far. Our flights are into Naples/out Rome. Thanks for any recommendations!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:11 AM

Oh and by the way, we spent 5 days in Rome already on previous trip so we're looking for other ideas!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Amy/Mike

Oh and by the way, we spent 5 days in Rome already on previous trip so we're looking for other ideas!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 07:41 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Tuscany is not that far and is your best choice. Are you driving? That time of year is perfect for Tuscany.<BR>I would train to Florence and drive into Tuscany from there. You can spend your last nite in Orvieto and still be within 2 hours of FCO. Good luck !

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Vincenzo

Dear Amy and Mike, the period is very good. 10 days are enough to avoid photo trips and to spend a wonderful honeymoon.<BR>You'll rent a car at Naples airport and you'll leave it at Rome airport I suppose.<BR>So, from Naples airport you'll drive toward Amalfi Coast.<BR>The itinerary I suggest is to keep autostrada for Pompei - Salerno and exit to Castellammare di Stabia. From this exit, follow for Agerola that is an hilltown. From Agerola you begin your trip toward Amalfi Coast and you arrive at Furore. I suggest Furore because it's an unique small town: a terrace over the sea. Besides I suggest Furore because you like wine and at Furore there is a fine winemaker, Ms. Marisa Cuomo with his appreciated white and red wines: to taste. <BR>The period is good to look at vendemmia, too.<BR>If you want to have dinner and also to sleep at Furore, a pretty hotel with one of the best views our eyes can see, is Hostaria Bacco. The owners are relatives of Ms. Marisa Cuomo.<BR>You'll have a cooking that's a mix between vegetables and sea.<BR>The following day you'll arrive on the Amalfi Coast. Tell me if you want suggestions for hotel.<BR>Period is fine for sun and beach and Amalfi Coast is so wonderful that every day is a full emotion day.<BR>Vietri sul Mare, Cetara, Erchie, Minori, Maiori, Amalfi, Ravello, Praiano, Positano: every of these small towns wants at least an half day trip. <BR>When you decide to start-up your travel toward Rome, from Salerno you'll go toward Avellino and from Avellino search for Atripalda. You can visit Mastroberardino, a very clever winemaker and have a guided taste of his wines married with typical food of the inner part of Campania.<BR>From Atripalda you drive toward Ager Falernus that's a small land on the northern part of Campania.<BR>In Ager Falernus there is Villa Matilde: another very clever winemaker.<BR>Villa Matilde is a countryside, too. So that you can sleep and the following day you can appreciate their famous wines having lunch or dinner in their good restaurant.<BR>With Furore, Mastroberardino and Villa MAtilde you have met the best of the wines of Campania.<BR>From Villa Matilde you can reach Fiumicino airport in 3 hours and also, if you wish, avoiding auoroute and driving for normal road always having sea at your left side. So you can visit ( hours aren't 3 but become 6 and more ), other fine places like Parco Nazionale del Circeo: very interesting.<BR>It's only a draft of a first idea of itinerary. <BR>I live near Sorrento. <BR>If you wish I can help you better.<BR>Ciao.<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ellen

Does that 10-day honeymoon INCLUDE your airtravel? If it does, I'm a big fan of sticking around 1 or 2 places instead of living out of a suitcase, spending more time GETTING there than actually being there. I've been twice to Amalfi and would recommend staying in Sorrento and taking day trips or overnights (say to Capri). I loved Sorrento, its location, great shopping and restaurants, and there are enough things to do there that you won't get bored like you may in one of the small Amalfi towns.From Sorrento you can also get to Pompeii very easily, a must see. If you want a small town, I highly recommend Ravello. We stayed at Palazzo Sasso-A+ class all the way. But after a few days it got boring. Seems to me 5-6 days in Amalfi and 3-4 in Rome makes perfect sense.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ellen

Does that 10-day honeymoon INCLUDE your airtravel? If it does, I'm a big fan of sticking around 1 or 2 places instead of living out of a suitcase, spending more time GETTING there than actually being there. I've been twice to Amalfi and would recommend staying in Sorrento and taking day trips or overnights (say to Capri). I loved Sorrento, its location, great shopping and restaurants, and there are enough things to do there that you won't get bored like you may in one of the small Amalfi towns.From Sorrento you can also get to Pompeii very easily, a must see. If you want a small town, I highly recommend Ravello. We stayed at Palazzo Sasso-A+ class all the way. But after a few days it got boring. Seems to me 5-6 days in Sorrento and 3-4 in Rome makes perfect sense.