Honeymoon in the Riviera

Search

Honeymoon in the Riviera

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in the Riviera

My then wife and I have free flights (frequent flier miles) into Nice and a free unbelievable villa (donated by a friend) in Villefrache (between Nice and Monaco)for two weeks starting Dec 2nd. I say all that to say I'll have money to spend once I'm down there. The last four days will be spent in Paris. My question is what should we do for the 10 days in the Riveria? not beach weather so should we take day trips...but where? (we'll have a car). She has never been to europe and loves natural beauty, food and wine. Maybe train into florence for a couple days? tuscany wine trip? Provence? Any suggestions either broad or very specific would be helpful..thank you!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:20 PM

We just returned from a cruise and one of the stops was Villafranche. It was beautiful. We did an excursion to Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo. They were very nice and beautiful places to visit, but I was not impressed that much.

You might want to see if you can go to the Cinque Terre (upper coast Italy) for a few days. One of the last villages, Monterossa (sp?) has a wonderful beach and it is a great little village to just hang out in, if that is what you are looking for.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM

You'll have the luxury of plenty of time to make day trips in the Nice and Cannes regions, even as far as St-Tropez. Rent yourselves a car and see the inland villages (Mougins, Valbonne, Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Vence, and St-Paul-de-Vence). Hit the many Nice highlights; drive around St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat; visit Eze-village, perched high atop a hill overlooking the beautiful coastline.

You won't lack for things to do! Forget about heading into Italy and just enjoy a relaxing time on the Côte d'Azur.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM

ttt
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:08 AM

I second Underhill's wise advise. Just spent three weeks in the area and am planning another two weeks next year. There is an amazing amount of things to see, do and experience in a small geographic area.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM

I have to agree. Plenty to do. As well, the Christmas season will be beginning. Truffles too! You'll eat well, "winter food".
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:22 AM

you've got yourself a sweet deal there, including a new wife! congrats...
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM

Are you or your wife interested in art? The Riviera and general area have an embarrassment of riches in that respect. If you say yes, I know I'll try to get up a list and I'm sure others will have suggestions.

We were planning to go last May, but there were planning issues and the trip had to be scrapped. We now plan to go in September '09. I actually had too many places on my list. I just couldn't narrow it down, and had to scrap all plans to venture into adjacent Italy.

A couple of good books will help immensely.