Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Switzerland/Italy and Greece?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 10:45 AM
Aimee Bashaw

Too much in three weeks? We fly into Zurich and out of Frankfurt. We were thinking Switzerland and Northern Italy via train for a week and a half then on to Greece via ship/cruise. The only island on our hit list so far is Santorini. Fly back to Germany. We leave early August so we want to plan now?! Any tips would be great.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 08:51 PM
Barbara Cammarata

Yes, I think you've planned too much. Weddings are so exhausting as are long flights to Europe, so after you get there, it might be more agreeable to be able to relax a little and not try to spend time in three different countries. In addition to all the traveling eating into your time, you would have to deal with three different currencies and three different languages, etc, all adding stress to what should be a lovely romantic time. My own choice would be to put the emphasis on Italy, because it is such a magical place for lovers, people are very warm and friendly, and you can get the best rooms in bed and breadfasts and small hotels if you tell them it's your honeymoon and the room must be special. Karen Brown's guides are reliable, as she chooses inns for their ambiance and gives detailed descriptions. I've spent a lot of time there and can make great suggestions if you'd like to e-mail me directly. Best Wishes.

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 06:48 AM
Stephanie

I agree with Barbara, and always counsel travelers to see one or two places well rather than race through a continent. However, I am so in love with Switzerland that I can't let an opportunity pass to recommend it. Just outside of Lucerne you can take a bus to a town called Vitznau and from there ride the very first cogwheen railway up a mountain called Rigi to a "village" called Rigi-Kaltbad and stay in a hotel called the Hostellerie. If it's winter you can of course ski; it it's summer, you can walk the mountain to exhaustion, stopping in all kinds of sweet places for coffee and refreshment. We used to spend our Christmases on this mountain when we lived in Europe and would also take summer vacations up there. You would have peace and quiet, beauty, in summer the unforgettable sound of cowbells wafting up to you from the valley below, and when you want nightlife, you just ride the railroad back down to Vitznau, take a bus back to Lucerne, and have a good time. Lucerne is Switzerland's prettiest city. And when you tire of all this Swiss life, you can proceed to either Italy or Austria or Germany or France with little more aggravation than renting a car. Good luck, and congratulations on your wedding!

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 04:30 PM
Jane

Barbara Cammarata, who is Karen Brown? We're planning a vacation to N.Italy in early July (based in Venice) and I'd love to pick up a guide to charming country inns.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 05:53 AM
Dan

I agree with the advice to not cram too much in. You can easily do three to four countries in three weeks without being too rushed, but it's not easy if you include Greece. Especially if not flying into Greece. Lucerne is a great place to visit in Switzerland. I would recommend taking a cruise on the lake if you go there. It is about three hours and is surrounded by hills and mountains. You can take a train back from the endpoint in about an hour - (you can also get off at any of a number of stops if you choose). If you go to Switzerland you must see the mountains though. I recommend either the Bernese Oberland around Interlaken or Zermatt. Interlaken is close to Zurich, and Zermatt is very close to Milan, Italy. Haven't been to Zermatt but was in the Bernese Oberland last August. If you go there do stay in the mountains. We stayed in Interlaken. It is a good junction point for train travel, but the mountains are much more romantic, and I will stay there next time. Also, there are convenient train stations in most towns. I would suggest for romance and convenience either Grindelwald, Murren, or Lauterbrunnen (in a valley right in the heart of the mountains). For unforgettable views go up to Mannlichen and walk to Kleine Scheidegg (about an hour) and go to the top of the Jungfrau (there you will be walking on a snow covered glacier in August - not too cold for comfort - I had on shorts). In Italy, very romantic places include Lake Como (northeast), a hill town like Civita, Rome, Venice, Amalfi, the Cinque Terre (on the Italian Riviera). Enjoy yourself and relax. Don't worry about languages too much or trying to get around. Most of Europe has very efficient trains and other transportation, and you will be able to find an English speaker at most stations if you need one. I do know some languages myself and find it helpful to know a few phrases, but don't feel that you have to be fluent to get around.

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 01:45 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Aimee, I agree with most of the good advice above,
but what you need is an itinerary starting in Zurich
and ending in Frankfurt 3 weeks later. I planned a
similar honeymoon trip last year and this will work.
The basic trip was: Zurich,Interlaken, Lugano,Como,
venice, Florence, Verona, Innsbruck/Bavaria, and
Frankfurt. If you want to know details of where, how
long,where to stay, what to see Etc. please contact
me directly. The big factor will be how much of the
trip on trains, and how much by car. In 20 days I
would suggest no more than 7 destinations.

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 06:44 AM
BARRY

If you get a chance, be sure to go to Grindelwald. Very romantic and beautiful, too.
Try the island of Paros in Greece and go to the north side to Naoussa.