honeymoon in switzerland?

Feb 18th, 1999, 07:11 PM
julie

honeymoon in switzerland?

My fiance and i are planning a honeymoon to switzerland in may. We would like to stay in a less congested area that is affordable. Any suggestions? Do you recommend renting a car to travel? And, how difficult will it be for us with English as our only language. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Feb 18th, 1999, 07:51 PM
Anna

I would recommend staying in one of the villages in the Lauterbrunnen valley near Interlaken. The mountain scenery there was the most spectacular in all of Switzerland. Rick Steve's covers the area very well. We stayed in the tiny village of Gimmelwald, but when we go back, we'll stay in Murren at the Hotel Alpenruh. We had a Swiss Pass which covered almost all of the trains and gondolas in the area, it covered all of the postal buses too. Most people spoke some English and everyone was very nice.

Feb 22nd, 1999, 06:42 AM
maryann hensinger

do you know if the village of gimmelwald is up and running at full speed in april. i read somewhere that it closes down for some time after easter monday. is this true? also, so you have any info on the hotel alpenruh...price etc....thank u

Feb 22nd, 1999, 07:11 AM
Bob Brown

For Maryann:
I clipped this quote off of the Gimmelwald webpage. Looks to me like May is also closed in Gimmelwald. There is still a lot of snow there that time of year and this year should be particularly bad because the whole region has been covered over heavily.
Here is the quote:

" April

In spite of what everyone says this month still belongs to winter. Although you can sit out in the sun in short-sleeves in March, you will be warming yourself by the fire again in April. In the Sefinen valley you can find the first birdseye primrose.
(Primula farinosa) Over Easter life gets busy again in Mürren and Gimmelwald.
Easter Monday, however, is the big departure day. The mountains and local people are left to their own devices. The hotels close and won't open again until June.
Every one who works in the tourism sector goes on holiday now."

Feb 22nd, 1999, 10:45 AM
Anna

Mary Ann,
We ate a delicious dinner at the Alpenruh in October, here is what my Rick Steve's guide has to say about the Alpenruh. "expensive and yuppie-rustic, the only hotel in Murren that's open year-round. Run by Andreas and Anne Marie Goetschi, former travelers with a great Back Door perspective, this hotel's comfortable rooms come with views and some balconies." Single with bath 80-100 SF, Double with bath 160-200 SF depending on season. The hotel also features an "elevator, attached restaurant, sauna, and free tickets for breakfast atop Schilthorn." They accept credit cards, the hotel is located 10 yards from the gondola station.
Tel 033/855-1055
Fax 033/855-4277
Personally, I don't think it's that expensive (upwards of $100 per night). It has a great view of the Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger across the valley and is convenient to the gondola.

Feb 22nd, 1999, 05:08 PM
Sheri

we went to Gimmelwald < Murren area last May, It was Awesome the moutians are breath taking . Every thing was open nothing closed. The weather was chilly at night but warmed up during the day. We stayed at Hotel Mittaghorn in Gimmelwald cheaper than Murren. A Rick Steve's recommmendation You Must buy his books We planed our whole trip very honnest and helpfull. Anoter area is Murten a hour west of Bern by train lakes and vineyards very relaxing and romantic another Rick Steve's recom. May is agreat time to go, we took the train everywhere, worked great. Have a wonderfulltime & goodluck.

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:11 PM
amy

Julie--
I was lucky to experience Wengen, a tiny mountain village in the mountains outside of Lauterbrunnen. There are no cars there. The street signs are marked according to how far it is to WALK to the various points. The vistas of the alps will take your breath away.

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:11 PM
amy

Julie--
I was lucky to experience Wengen, a tiny mountain village in the mountains outside of Lauterbrunnen. There are no cars there. The street signs are marked according to how far it is to WALK to the various points. The vistas of the alps will take your breath away.

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:12 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:13 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:13 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:14 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:15 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:16 PM
amy

Julie--

Feb 27th, 1999, 10:16 PM
amy

Julie--

Search this Thread