Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Spain and Italy / Top 5 things to see and do in Spain!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

We are planning our Honeymoon in Spain and Italy next year. Im still not 100% covinced in spain as thats the place my fiance really wants to go. We will have 5 nights there but can do more if someone can reccomend something? I think it looks nice but probably not worth the money flying there when we could go somewhere else? Like Switzerland/Italy or Greece/Italy? What do you think?

What do you think are the top 5 things to see and do there???

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
ira

Dear Rose,

If you want a happy marriage, I suggest that you spend some time researching where to go in Spain.

Start by clicking on "Destinations".

Enjoy your visit to Spain and Italy.

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I know so just trying to find things worth seeing Have you been to spain Ira?
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM

"Im (sic) still not 100% covinced (sic) in spain (sic) as thats (sic) the place my fiance really wants to go." Have you asked your fiance WHY he/she wants to go to Spain?

"I think it looks nice but probably not worth the money flying there when we could go somewhere else?" YIKES....!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Yeah he is south american and has always wanted to go to spain. Doesnt really know much else...
So has anyone been to spain to reccomend from there own travel??? Obviously Im happy to go there but am doing research on what peoples experiences are of spain.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Since you are doing research, what are your preliminary thoughts on the thousands of experiences already posted?
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Well obviously I have already looked and cant seem to find anything so have decided to do my own post.. Whats your point?
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Perhaps a bit of background would be good to help you, Rose.
Where are you from?
Are you a beach person or do you prefer to visit cities? Nature beauties, perhaps?
You have said that you are marrying next year, but what month?
I am Spanish and have lived at different areas of my country and perhaps I might advise you.
Cheers.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There have been many trip reports posted here by people who have gone to Spain. You can select Spain in the search box on the upper right and browse through the threads that will then be listed on the left.

To get you started, here is my trip report from July:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34841123
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Great Thanks Filoa that is exactly what I am after. We are from Sydney Australia, My Fiance is into the cities and all the architecture and we both love little sea side places and beaches. Thank you so much
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Ok... then 5 nights are not very much time if you want to have both beach and cities.
If you were having a more extended stay, I would recommend you to have 4-5 days at Menorca or Formentera (Baleares Islands), with the most beautiful little beaches you can imagine (deep blue see, among cliffs, white sand).
But you have only 5 nights, so I would do an Andalucía tour: Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada. I guess that you would fly to Madrid... With 5 nights, I would skip Madrid and go directly to Sevilla or Cordoba (by high-speed train, AVE). Cordoba and Granada are, with San Sebastian and Santiago de Compostela, my favorite cities in Spain.
Granada - you must visit the Alhambra, without any doubt. It is perhaps the "very must see" in Spain. Then, you must enjoy the Albaicin (and its beautiful views and delicious "tapas&quot. The Cathedral is also worth a visit. There is also an area (I can't remember the name of the street) with charming tea house, in Morocco style.
-Cordoba. The Mezquita is an amazing place. A cathedral was built over it, but the inside remains as one of the most beautiful places I have been to. The Jewish quarter is worth a walk, along with the Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos, the Roman Bridge and many other atractive places.
-Sevilla is the biggest of the three cities (750.000 hab). My favourite place at Sevilla is Santa Cruz Quarter. The most well-known monument in Sevilla is La Giralda. The Cathedral is really beautiful and you must visit also La Torre del Oro.
None of this cities is a coastal place, so if you want to combine it with a couple of days at beach, in my opinion, you must go to Cadiz. Considering that you will be honeymooning, the best option is Chiclana-La Barrosa-Sancti Petri: you have quite many luxury hotels for that special experience. If your budget is not so high, I am a big fan of Conil and Zahara de los Atunes, with a more casual ambience.
Having said this, Greece is also a great destination.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise!! We will be there in September so hopfully the crowds arnt so bad!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Last year we spent some time in Barcelona, which is always great for architecture. About half an hour west there is a small town, Sitges, very quaint, narrow hilly lanes for shopping, sidewalk cafes with great views of the water. We rented bikes and pedalled the waterfront boardwalk, took a cataran ride along the waterfront etc. Great memories of Sitges!

It was a company trip and we used the hotel Estrella for a base in Sitges to meet up with the bus. If we ever go back I might consider staying there.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM

We did a 10 day trip to Spain last summer and had an amazing time. DO NOT MISS Granada and La Alhambra. La Alhambra is one of the most amazing places I've ever been.

We also had a fantastic time in Barcelona- a city not to be missed!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM

I would recommend Cordoba, Granada. But, you can ask your fiance to do some research also as to what seems the perfect place where he wants to be with you in Spain on your honeymoon. Looking at a guidebook, he may be stunned by a a certain place.
I think it is no problem if you don't get to see so much of Spain in only 5 days. I think Spain is fascinating, and though I have traveled there numerous times, and I lived there for a few months, I am certian that I must return again and take my time savoring all parts of it.
Happy Travels, and congratulations.