Honeymoon in PARIS!

Search

Honeymoon in PARIS!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in PARIS!

Hi all, I'm going to Paris for the first time since I was a kid for my honeymoon, and I'm really excited! We'll be in Paris for 5 nights in August. Unfortunately we're a bit tight for a budget - we'd be looking to spend around 95 Euros per night...tops 105 Euros. Reading some of the previous posts, I think the Marais or Latin Quarter area might be best for us. Any recommendations as to nice romantic hotels in that price range? We're also considering looking into apartments as well, but a hotel would be best. Thank you!!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Red, if you're on a budget, I think the apartment is a better option..you can prepare several of your own meals and save a bundle! I know someone will post the best apartment-finder site, so I'd check it out. Congrats on the vows!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For a tight budget but still wanting honeymoon-worthy/romantic you will probably be better off in an apartment.

Many of the sites regularly recommended on here handle more higher end flats. Two that have some lower priced properties are homelidays.com and vrbo.com. On both of them - you deal directly w/ owners.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:25 PM

oops - hit post too soon -- meant to add -- congratulations on your wedding/honeymoon
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
ira

t
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:32 AM

If you mean this August, you should really get cracking!

I cannot recommend specific hotels, as I am more budget than you and you would probably want to stay in nicer places than I, since it's your honeymoon. I would recommend the 4th-6th emes.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Yup, this August - apparently I did wait too late! I'm having trouble finding availability for apartments in Paris then, particularly air conditioned ones in our price range.

I came across a hotel on the border of the 11th and 4th arrondissements called HOTEL LYON-MULHOUSE. Has anyone heard of this hotel? It is a block or two north of Place de la Bastille. I asked for a large double room on a high floor with a view, and for 90 Euros they said they would give me their "best romantic room", which they say is room #2 on the 2nd floor. It's a back facing room off the street which is good for noise purposes, but it doesn't have a view. Someone a few years ago took a picture of room #2 and posted on trip advisor. It doesn't look like the greatest room, but it does have a separate bathroom for bathtub and another for WC and sink, all in the hotel room, which means the room is probably on the larger side. They apparently renovated a year ago though so I don't know if this room looks at all the same as the picture. Can anyone speak to this hotel, maybe even this hotel room #2, and the hotel's location for cafes and bars/ walking to Notre Dame/ walking to the Latin Quarter and St Germain/ walking to the Louvre/ walking along the Seine on the little bridges there?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM

Hi RedDaffodil, I can't comment on the Hotel Lyon-Mulhouse as I've never stayed there, though I did check out the website and it looks pretty nice.

I CAN however comment on the area, as we also recently stayed in a hotel right near the Bastille. It is not the most picturesque area (down the side streets at least) but there are lots of restaurants and cafes around Place de la Bastille and nothing says "welcome to Paris" like sitting in an outdoor cafe with a view of the Bastille monument! (at least to us!). The area also seemed pretty lively (though not too loud at night).

As far as walking to Notre Dame and the Louvre, it is not really super close. I'd estimate maybe a 30 min walk to Notre Dame and 45 min to the Louvre. And once you get to the Seine it is a beautiful walk all the way to those two places - its just a bit sketchy (at night at least) to get to down to it!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 02:13 AM

I second the apartment notion. much more romantic not getting disturbed by the maid every morning and you will save loads by cooking romantic meals, champagne in the fridge etc and more space! You do need to hurry tho, most of the best value apartments will have been booked up for august.
There's a beautiful apartment at 125€ per night in Bastille, extremely swish and très Parisienne for the price: http://www.way2stay.com/Paris-apartm...n-109-1283.htm
Or go to the way2stay website and check the calendar for each apartment.
Spending an extra 20€ per night for an apartment you would make back easily on breakfast at home.
Good luck and congratulations!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
Eze

hi
i am not sure that someone in honeymoon would like to rent a flat and cook...
i am now on côte d'azur and have spend more than 20 years in Paris.
I would not, after my experience, sleep neither in Marais or Quartier latin areas.
There are so many places in Paris where you can sleep in a QUIET and safe place
joining whenever wished a "more active area" by taxi before coming back in your little nest. Be a foreign visitor in Paris, in my opinion, doesn't mean that you have to rush in crowded and overbought places such as 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements of Paris and rather be tempted by southern arrondissement but definitely not Bastille area.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM

I would not stay in the Bastille area--it is a long walk to anywhere. And the neighborhood just doesn't have many shops, curb appeal. We've done it.
There is a Hotel Henri IV that is a budget hotel--anyone? I am sure you can find something in the Latin Quarter.
Have you thought about Priceline?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
ira

Hi RED,

www.biddingfortravel.com shows a Priceline price on the Meridien Montparnasse of about $117.

This is a 4* in the 14th near the Montparnasse train station and across the street form a metro stop.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:26 AM

I stayed at the Lyon Mulhouse!!!

We were amazed at the size of the room and the nice bathroom for the price we paid.

That said, would I call the room romantic? No BUT YOU"LL BE IN PARIS!!
It is romantic! And, I liked the area. In a couple of blocks from the Hotel you're at the Place de Vosges...beautiful garden and lots of shops.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

Congratulations...as well. I apologize for not mentioning it first.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM

We stayed at this apt. in the Marais and loved it. The location is wonderful. The owner is very nice and easy to work with.
I looked at the calendar and there are a few openings in August.
The name of the Apt. is Rivoli
http://www.parisrendezvous.com/
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM

&quot;<i>i am not sure that someone in honeymoon would like to rent a flat and cook...</i>&quot;

I never understand this sort of comment. As if renting a flat requires one to cook. A flat will 1) have a lot more space, 2) possibly cost quite a bit less, 3) might have a washer/dryer, and oh, by the way, a kitchen. But you can go to the same restaurants/cafes no matter where you stay.

You might prefer the amenities of a full service hotel, but a nice apartment could be really romantic. Not sure I'd choose bastille though.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. The apartment mentioned above is unfortunately booked during the time we'd like it, and the Henri IV is showing rates of about 190 Euros a night...we're interested in the LQ and Marais because we're on the younger side and would probably enjoy some of the nightlife. Maybe the LQ by the Seine would be romantic. Could anyone suggest some names of inexpensive hotels there with AC that might work for a honeymoon? The ones I'm finding aren't very nice...
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

The main problem with renting an apartment in August is finding one with good air-conditioning. Odds are that A/C will be welcome.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM

Please heed the advice of Eze! Given your restrictive budget, I suggest the 7th eme; Hotel Valadon would be a good choice. It is a short walk to the Tour Eiffel, many reasonably priced restaurants are nearby as well as shops etc.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

RedDaffodil,
What about this place. It is just across the street from where I mentioned the apt. we stayed in is.
I do not have any experience with this hotel but know the area is good.
http://www.hotelparisrivoli.com/index_en.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -