Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

honeymoon in italy and greece. where should i go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Molly

Hi,<BR>I'm going on my honeymoon in August and i'm choosing Italy and Greece. Is it really going to be too hot? too crowded? In any case, I'd like to go to Palazzo Sasso in Ravello and Capri. Any hotels/restaurants you would suggest? I'm looking for 5 star (with 4 or 3 star prices). Also, any ideas on where to go in the Greek Isles?<BR>Thanks!!!<BR>Molly

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Kirsten

We stayed at the hotel luna in capri 1st week of august 1998 and it was a wonderful location if you want to relax. August is the busiest time of year in Capri and Amalfi coast and it was very hot 90+ and humid. Fortunately Luna had air conditioning and a great pool to stay at during the day to escape the day tripper crowds in capri. After 6:00pm the whole island quiets down when the day trippers and cruise crowds leave the island. You can stay on Capri and take day trips to Amlfi towns (sorrento, positino, ravello etc.) or pick one of the coast towns if you are more into touring which would is nmore constrained on Capri Island, depends you taste in honeymoon, active or not. We heard great things about Ravello and even though we did not visit, from my day trip to Positano and views of this coast from Capri it sounds like a great choose too.<BR><BR>We were also in Greece July 1996 at it was very hot also. Greece was awesome too, but if I had to pick I would probably go with Italy and the Amafli coast because its not as dry, very scenic and there are more day trip options via Ferry. You can do the same on Greek islands but the distances are farther. Finally what can I say, but there is more variety of food in Italy. You can only eat so many greek salads! The Amalfi coast of Italy is breathtaking and there are lots of romantic hotels depending on the location. Both countries have wonderful people from my experience. Good luck and congratulations!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Molly

thanks so much!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:45 PM
mark

You are so smart. It never occurred to me to go to somewhere like Italy or Greece on my honeymoon. Have fun.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Diane

Greece has more to offer in restaurants than Greek food. We've had Italian meals, and even Mexican. I've always enjoyed eating there. One of my favorite meals was linguine in vodka sauce. The yogurt with honey was a favorite of mine for breakfast -- not the same yogurt we get here. And don't knock the Greek salads.