Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Honeymoon in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Italy

I am going to Italy for my honeymoon and was wondering if anyone out there can give my fiance and I some advice.
Over the course of 12 days (2 days for travel) we are looking to go to Venice, Rome, Florence, and Bologna.
My first question is, do we need a travel agent, or can we do this on our own just as easily? I ask because A)we have never been outside of the U.S and are a little apprehensive on planning it ourselves, and B) our current agent wants to put us in the most expensive hotels in Italy, but we want to experience the true taste of Italy, not in hotel geared towards Americans(she does not seem to get that). We have been looking through Karen Browns book on B&Bs and hotels in Italy...has anyone stayed at any of her suggested places?
Second, any suggestions on an itinery? We are unsure at what order to stay (can we fly into Venice and out of Rome?) Also how many days should we stay at each destination?
So far we have this as a rough intinery:
3 days Venice
2 days Bologna
3 days Florence
2 days Rome
We are very up in the air right now so all suggestions are welcome...we could use all the help we can get.Thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Hi Krista! You're going to have an amazing honeymoon... Italy is so romantic. My advice: skip the travel agent; you don't need her. What you do need is a good guidebook! You can check out a few from the library to get started. Just read. Even though this is your first trip abroad, you really can do the planning yourselves! Guidebooks and this website will be a big help in choosing hotels, planning itineraries, and learning about basic logistical travel stuff.

I haven't been to Bologna, so I can't comment on that, but I would spend more time in Rome than Florence--there's much more to see and experience there. Venice is a truly amazing place, you'll love it. You can certainly fly into one city and out of another; sometimes that even saves money. It definitely saves time!

When is your trip?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Taking your questions in order:

1. No, you do not need a travel agent. With the help of a good guide book and the well-traveled people in this forum, you can easily plan your trip yourself.

2. I think many people in this forum have stayed at places recommended by Karen Brown, although there was a controversy a while back whether the places she mentions pay to be included in her books (and on her Web site). But you can find just as good or possibly better accommodations from suggestions here. (Type the name of the city and hotels <Florence, hotels> (without the arrows) into the search box and you will find hundreds of comments on hotels in all price ranges.

3. You can definitely fly into Venice and out of Rome; it's called an open-jaw ticket and should cost about the same as a regular return ticket.

4. You do not need to count 2 days for travel. Venice-Florence on a fast train is less than 3 hours; Florence-Rome on a fast train is a little more than 1.5 hours. (The fast trains are called Eurostar; you have to have a seat reservation in addition to a ticket to board them. But when you buy them at the station, they will automatically reserve the seat for you. If you know your schedule ahead of time, you can buy all your tickets at the same time instead of standing in line at three or four different stations.)

4. This is a questuon: Any particular reason for Bologna. It's not at the top of many lists of visitors to Italy...

5. You can add two days somewhere in your itinerary, given the shortness of the train rides, and if you decide against Bologna (I would, in favour of Siena, which is easily reached by bus from Florence), you can add two more days.

6. I would then suggest:
Venice 4 days (you'll be a bit jet-lagged on your first day);
Florence 4 days (with a day trip to Siena);
Rome 4 days.

Best wishes for your coming marriage!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
rex

I agree - - good advice requires knowing - - when is this?

and how much is your plate already filled with doing all the stuff for the wedding (or is it a small wedding? or is someone else doing a lot of the stuff for you?)

you say <<we want to experience the true taste of Italy>> - - to me, that means making time to learn a few hundred words of Italian. If this trip is more than 12 weeks away, that isn't necessarily a problem (even if it is six weeks away) - - depends on what language background you already have, and how many other things are competing for your time.

Ordinarily, I would NOT favor the use of a travel agent (especially one that doesn't seem to be on your same wavelength) - - but I do wonder if you are taking on too many new things. Presumably, you have never had a wedding before; you have never prepared for the transition to married life before (new place to live? what other changes?) - - you have never made, nor planned a trip to Italy before, and I don't know how much you have prepared to <<experience the true taste of>> a country where for the most part, people speak a language different from yours.

I hope you have tons of time and resources to do this all the way you want. If you are overestimating, think about what are the best realistic ways to do the things most important to you.

Whatever your decisions, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Hi Krista
First Congrats! You didnt say when you were getting married, but you couldn't have picked a better place for a honeymoon than Italy.
I am a relative newbie to this site also. I found it a week or so after I had planned a week wedding trip to Italy. From my standpoint, you don't need a travel agent. If you will pay attention to the folks on this site, you will be fine. I can tell you from personal experience that they are extremely knowledgeable, experienced, and very helpful. I have asked many really dumb (or should I say naive)questions here, and never has anyone given me an answer that wasn't helpful.
From my limited experience in Italy, we did Rome, Venice, Florence and Siena. My favorite was Florence, with Venice a close second. However, I am really into Art. Only downside were the crowds in July (which I knew about before we went) thanks to these kind folks.
At any rate, fire your travel agent, plan your trip here, and I promise you guys will make a memory that will last a lifetime.
Shrink
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for such quick responses! I think we will drop the travel agent, we wanted to but were not sure.
We are getting married on June 17th 2005, so we are looking to leave the next night for Italy.
We do have about 4 books on Italy, that we have been looking through sonce December, it is so much to absorb. As far as planning the honeymoon, my fiance is doing the majority of it, while I focus on our wedding. For the language, my fiance is pretty fluent in Spanish and just bought a Italian CD, so we are on our way.
Why Bologna? Well my fiance wants to go there for the food, but is that all that there is? Is there anything else worth seeing?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM

I've been to Italy twice but never considered Bologna. I'd consider skipping it and adding in one or two daytrips that you can do from the major cities--say Siena from Florence, and Verona from Venice. Two beautiful, smaller cities/towns that are very much worth seeing! Look them up in your books and see what you think.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Your fiance is right: Bologna is often called "Bologna la Grassa" (the Fat) because of its food; to be fair, it is also often called "Bologna la Dotta" (the Learned) for its university.

Still, there is really not enough in Bologna to warrant a two-day stay. On a day trip from somewhere (I no longer remember where...), I ate at Da Cesari, a good but not overwhelmingly fancy or expensive restaurant. Lunch was very good, but hardly "worth a trip," as the Guide Michelin would say.

There is, however, a restaurant that has, I think, two stars in the Guide Michelin called the San Domenico in Imola (25 minutes by train from Bologna -- to the train station; I have no idea where the restaurant is in relation to the station). It also has a Web site, so you can check it out:

http://www.sandomenico.it/

Bologna is an hour by train from Florence, should your fiance want to make a pilgrimage of it. And Bologna is on the Venezia-Firenze Eurostar route, so you could theoretically leave Venice to get to Bologna at around 11:30, get off in Bologna, stow your luggage (which I assume you can do somewhere in the train station..), take the train to Imola with a reservation for, say, 1:00 p.m. at San Domenico, go back to Bologna and on to Florence, but it would take the best part of the day.
And you MUST have a reservation at the San Domenico. Nor do I think that you could go there casually dressed...
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I had written another post on this site without realizing i can just keep adding to my original e-mail (I am new at this .
What was the website again for the rail pass information, I can't seem to locate it.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:23 AM
rex

I'm assuming you're asking about www.railsaver.com - - mentioned on your "other" post. You can find it, and any/all of your other posts by clicking on your own name.

Sounds like you have many of your ducks in a row - - and it will be a fun year, planning your wedding - - and getting help here to confidently put together a great honeymoon (or have your fiance get involved here).
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

My stepmother introduced me to this site, and I can't wait to show my fiance, everyone is so helpful, thank you.
Any thought on skipping Bologna and go to the highly coveted Cinque Terre instead? Any idea how far it is from Venice and Florence. Is there a train that goes into it?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Krista,
I would go with Eloise's suggestion and add those extra days to Rome, Venice, and Florence so you're not moving around so much. You can daytrip out of the cities if you need a change of scenery.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:53 AM

I want to weigh in for the CT. We've been there twice and love the area!

If you want to go at a slow pace on your trip (less traveling around), I'd recommend Venice and Rome, with maybe a day trip from each (Orvieto from From and Verone from Venice). However, it sounds like you're trying to sample different areas on this trip and don't mind traveling (ah! to be young again!).

In that case, I think adding on the CT will be another grand adventure within your honeymoon! The scenery is so stunning and the food is wonderful (think all the pesto you can eat!). Everyone talks about the towns being a bit touristy during the day, but after the other three towns on your list, I found them to be almost deserted! And it's so different! Lots of young folks too to share stories with.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Just keep in mind, you will be going back! Everyone does!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM

To get to Cinque Terre, you take the train to La Spezia, and transfer there to a local train that stops in all five villages. It's a beautiful, laid-back place... not much to do but sunbathe, eat, and hike, but the scenery is just lovely. It can be a nice break from the bustle and crowds of the cities (although tourists have definitely discovered CT!).
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I would start in Rome and end in Venice. Seeing Rome will be more bustling and ending in Venice would top off the trip.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM

We spent 3 days in Monterosso (one of the 5 towns in the Cinque Terre) on our honeymoon this past June and LOVED it!!! It is about 2.5 - 3 hours from Florence by train at the most and it is such a special and amazing place. It was my second time to visit and my Husband's first. We will be going back again this coming May. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd like more info on where we stayed on our honeymoon and what all we did. We were in Rome, Venice, Florence, and the Cinque Terre.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hello Krista:

Italy is awesome and a great first trip to Europe! As you read everyone's responses you have to ask yourself what you like, (art, beach, mountains, etc.. food/wine) Eveybody has their own opinion on what's good and what's not, that is why this forum is so educational and wonderful.
Let me start off by saying my company is based in Bologna (been their 6-8 times)and I have decided to take my girl friend for a 17-day vacation in September to Italy for our vacation. We can't wait. OK, now about your trip. Italy is huge and has so much to offer. I had diffculty scheduling it as well, but finally went with the following. Fly into Rome and arrive Sept 2nd (thursday) and drive (opted to rent a car) to the Amalfi Coast (town of Praiano). We stay until Sunday moring and then drive to Rome. Stay in Rome until Tuesday evening then off to Tuscany (Sienna). Stay in Siena area until Friday and then we drive to Bologna for Friday night (dinner & meeting place). Saturday morning off to Rimini for the weekend. Monday morning to Venice. Tuesday evening to Lake Como-Bellagio. As you can see we will be seeing various areas of Italy and on the run alot. You may think it may be too much traveling however, I do not know if my girlfriend (future wife) will ever get back to Italy so I want her to get a feel for the various towns. Also, I decided to rent a car because we then can come and go as we please. Also, I did everything on my own, from the help of Fodors and traveladvisor. Both are fantastic! PS the food is Bologna is the best in Italy. So back to my 1st question and that is, What do you like? You can plan your honeymoon around that. If you want to site see everyday then go to Rome for 4 days, Florence/Siena are for 3 days, Venice for 2 days. etc....hope this helps. Congrats!
Randy
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I just want to add something in case you decide on the Eurostar to Bologna, eat in Bologna, go on to Florence idea: GAC, who is extremely knowledgeable about Italy, has just posted a message saying that you cannot get off a Eurostar and then continue with a later one to your final destination. So if you do the Bologna thing, you will have to buy two tickets: Venice to Bologna, Bologna to Florence.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

My finance (Joe) and I are intersted in pretty much everything...food, wine, art, history, and some much needed relaxation. That is why I thought CT would be a good place to add in, plus i heard from many that it is an amazing place to go. I would love the do it all, it is too much to ask for over the course of 12 days? Oh, and I spoke to Joe, who also viewed this thread and thought maybe do Bologna on a day trip from Florence, seeing as it is only an hour by train, but it is still up in the air.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Hi Krista, I just emailed you with our hotel info and our itinerary. We did a very intense tour of Rome and Florence and relaxed in the Cinque Terre and in Venice... a good balance for us of fast-paced activity and then relaxation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -