Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Honeymoon in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 05:59 PM
Nancy Schatz

Honeymoon in Italy

Hi. My fiance and I are planning to take a two week trip to Ialy for our honeymoon. What are some can't miss, romantic destinations in Italy? We're also looking for some romantic, inexpensive places to stay on our journey.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 09:09 AM
Joe Lomax

Gondola at night in Venice; yeah, its been done before, its overpriced, but it cannot be matched.
Hotel Silla in Florence; reasonable price, central location, rooftop breakfast with the city before you. Rome; S. Clemente and churches underneath, a walk thru V. Doria-Pamphili (out of the way with beautiful pines-o-rome), a nighttime stroll from the Ponte S. Angelo to P.Navonna to Patheon to the Campo di Fiori. Cinque Terre overnight; enjoy the walk between towns (Via dell'amore) and let the day trippers leave while you stay. Choose one of these quiet towns in the Appenines: Assisi, Gubbio or Scanno; with the earthquake I am not certain about the accomdations.

Old Feb 21st, 1998, 07:10 PM
Annette

I have been to Italy several times. Last year, we visited Venice and Rome. Venice can be done it 1 to 2 days. It's really quite an experience but the best experiences and the most romantic dinners with lovel vistas were in Sicily. It's a far way from Rome and Venice, but my preference would be Sicily. It is just absolutely incredibly breathtaking. If you do end up in Sicily, you must stay at the resort town...Taormina. This is the most beautiful place on earth. Hotel rooms high up in the mountain overlook the sea and Mt. Etna can be seen. You will have the most incredible romantic evenings if you spend it in Sicily. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 08:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Nancy, I saw 2 key words in your message--ROMANTIC
AND INEXPENSIVE. I have planned several honeymoons
to Italy and the best destinaions to meet your criteria are not the obvious big cities. Let me
name drop a few and if you want to know more about
them and the romance they offer, give me a holler.
LAGO ORTA---BELLAGIO---RIVA DEL GARDA--PORTOVENERE
SIENA/SAN GIMIGNANO---POSITANO---ISCHIA
Just a sample, but you get the idea. Yell if I can
help.

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 03:13 PM
Tom

Bob, are you sure Positano lodging is inexpensive?!? In which century did you last visit!?!

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 05:36 PM
Barbara

Nancy,

The truth is, there are so many romantic places to stay in Italy, maybe you should do a little reading instead of just listening to the opinions of others. I suggest Karen Brown's Charming Bed and Breakfast Inns and Fred Plotkin's Italy for the Gourmet Traveller. The places Bob the Navigator (anyone else think his messages are advertisements???) mentions are all wonderful, but everyone's ideas of the ideal places will vary a great deal. Aside to Tom -- we have stayed in Positano three times in the last 7 years. Last spring spent an idyllic interlude at La Fenice, which spills down the cliffs to the sea and a private beach, for roughly $80 a night including lovely outdoor breakfast and very personal service. Nancy, best wishes and buon viaggio.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 09:51 PM
Jules

My husband and I were married in Bianca Villa, a small village on Mt. Etna. We stayed in Taormina, and agree, it is very romantic. Depending upon the time of year, I'd also recommend time on Panarea, one of the Aolian Islands. Great restaurants, small boats to hire for the day, beautiful clear water. If you'd like any more info, email me.