Honeymoon in Ireland!

May 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Ireland!

We are just finishing up our Honeymoon in Ireland and I wanted to give a review of everything. Most of you guys helped out with suggestions and well we had a BLAST!
We are in our late 20's and decided to spend 2 weeks in Ireland. We wanted to stay away from big cities plus I beleive and I know some of you dont..that all major cities are the same just with different accents...we wanted to get out and meet the locals.

We were gone for 2 weeks and flew into London ( wished we wouln not have) and stayed a few day on the beginning and the end of our trip. We then flew into Shannon and drove down to:
DINGLE 3 Nights
KENMARE 3 nights
GLAWAY 3 nights
DROMOLAND CASTLE 3 nights

This was perfect as we wanted to see true Ireland!

In DINGLE we stayed at HEATONS Guesthouse and it was WORTH it! Nualla the owner was so nice and very friendly! The hotel/guesthouse was SO clean and roomy. In fact this was one of the best place/best towns we stayed at while we were here in Ireland.
The shops in town were great. There were so many and not too many were too touristy. We drove right outside of town to HOLDEN's leathergoods and it was worth it. Bought a great purse! The Strand shop was nice as well. We packed our lunch and hiked out to the lighthouse and ate lunch there very pretty but beware of the mud. The best 2 pubs in Dingle were: SMALL BRIDGE PUB and DINGLE PUB. Both had music every night and was SO much fun. In Fact these 2 pubs were our favorite pubs throughout our whole trip! Dingle pub is sooo much more cheaper but Small Bridge Pub has a true dark irish feel to it. Try BOTH of them. We ate at Murphy's pub and the food there is good pub food and affordable. So is, Happy Garden chinese restaurant...very good and very affordable. We did eat at Lord Bakers and it was very good but pricey. We drove the Slea Head Drive and got some fantastic pictures! We also drove OCONNORS pass and it was nice as well..there is a beach at the bottom that you can drive out too.

PLUSES: Beautiful city and good nightlife. Heatons and the 2 pubs.
MINUSES: Most restaurants are pricey..as in 80 euros a dinner. Got the best pictures from our stay here! We learned that the drivers here in Ireland are CRAZY..they go so fast on these small narrow roads...

KENMARE:

We drove to Kenmare and stayed at the SHEEN FALLS LODGE. Very expensive but worth it. It was very relaxing and very beautiful place to stay! We did go fishing and skeet shooting which was our favorite things we did here! Sheen falls was nice but beware they charge you for EVERYTHING. Our fishing guys was late and he charged us for the hour he was late...plus we went shooting and just followed the instructors orders and when we were done he charged us for extra bullets..which we were never asked if we wanted. We did eat at the hotel there La Cascade. Very very expensive and not worth it!
In town we ate at DAVITTS and PREGO and both places were SOOOOO good and very affordable! We went to McCarthy's Pub and FOLEY's pub and they were both great but FOLEYS was better and more spacious!

PLUSES: Beautiful Hotel and fishing was a blast.
MINUSES: cant think of one.

GALWAY:

We could have done without this trip. We wanted to stay away from big cities that is why we stayed away from DUBLIN...but we did decide to go Galway. We stayed right outside of Galway THE TWELVE HOTEL. Very modern and nice. Not too expensive. The best part of this hotel is the Bar downstairs...awesome drinks and AWESOME food. We ate here every night! Hotel was good but 15 minutes from Galway and not much ammenities...no pool no spa...no shopping nearby.
We drove into Galway each day and did our touristy shopping here. We drank at THE QUAYS...REALLY fun! We ate a burger next door at RODEOS which was cheap but good.

PLUSES: HOTEL BAR WE STAYED AT
MINUSES: could have picked a different city...nothing to write home about...but we did get to see it and that was nice.

DROMOLAND CASTLE:

Drove here for 3 nights and it was soooo pretty. WE drove to see the Cliffs of Moher and that was incredible. Then we got to the castle and it is soooo nice. Worth the price and a great way to end the trip. I got a massage and that was nice and then we went and played Golf here. Expensive but worth it. Although you should bring your own balls..we lost a lot! The bar here is fun yet relazing at night. A great singer that comes in a sings. Walking around this hotel and just looking around was fun too.

PLUSES: Beautiful. Great Experience.
MINUSES: nothing around to do so you just relax and enjoy the hotel. Very quiet. NO free wi fi access. Every other hotel we stayed at had free WI FI except the most expensive hotel...go figure. We broght our computer and signed on to SKYPE which allowed us to call our families back home and talk to them for 4 cents a minute..plus we could see them for the video messaging!

We had fun and LOVED every city we picked. Things to help out for those who are thinking of going.
PACK LIGHT. you can find washer and dryers in the towns that will do it for you or you can do it yourself and safe money and luggage space. Pack half of what you think you will need...trust me on this one!

Things Price wise add up. We picked 2 really nice restaurants to splurge at and if we could we went to the grocery stores and made our own sandwiches for lunches. Plus Breakfast is provided at all hotels for free. Dont take too much cash. We brought a lot of dollars and in Galway they wouldnt change 100 dollar bills only small bills so we had to keep going to many banks until we found one that did. Drivers really do drive fast here. Most roads are narrow and windy and well it was the scariest part of the trip. The driving on the left side was no big deal it was the speed of the other drivers that was hard to get used to...YOU MUST GET A GARMIN NAVIGATION SYSTEM...Michelin maps is a must for your trip best map out there but the GARMIN saved us SOOOO many time on the round a bouts.

BEWARE OF AER LINGUS! We flew in on AA into London and then took the flight from LONDON to SHANNON on AER LINGUS got a really good rate and here is the catch!!

They charge you for however many bags you check in.
They charge you for whatever the weight is over 40 lbs....that is 40 lbs total...not each back....they charge you for each kilo / pound you are over....so if you can skip aer lingus and fly straight into Ireland. Plus the rudest person we met on our trip was the lady at AER LINGUS in Heathrow! Oh well you live and learn!

We did have a blast and it is everything we wanted! The people are very nice here and the scenery is just the best you have ever expereienced. Plus I really like most Irish food and the pubs are the best!
May 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM

I am so glad you had a wonderful time. Ireland is magical, addictive, and I think it is a wonderful place to spend a honeymoon!
May 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM

Are your phots posted on the web? You mention getting some great pictures so I hope you will share.

Your report is well set up for info for readers.

Sorry you had such a time with AER Lingus. I love that airline and would not fly anything else to Ireland. I have never had anything but pleasant interaction check in and with staff on the plane.
May 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM

What a wonderful trip - thanks for sharing it with us!
Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

The Aer Lingus people in London were awful but the ones at Shannon were SOOO nice!
I will post some pics of our trip soon.
Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

PICTURES!!!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Jun 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Has anyone heard anything about Castlewood House (in Dingle)? Its the one right next to Heaton's and is apparently run by the son/daughter of Heaton's!