Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Greece in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Angela

Planning a two week honeymoon to Greece in October. How is the weather that time of year? Are places closed down or is it okay to go? We have no idea which islands to hit or how long to stay on each. Any feedback on island/itineraries, hotels, restaurants, weather, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Sue

Angela , I'm also planning a 2 week honeymoon trip to Greece in October. I've been researching and the information is overwhelming. What I've figured out so far is that we'll start and end in Athens. I've heard that Santorini is worth the trip. I'm looking for another island to spend time on and this is where I can't decide. I've received mixed reviews regarding Mykonos. Naxos sounds nice - but can you get to it directly? Sifnos sounds good too. Actually they all sound good. Have you made any decisions? I notice you posted your question in April - you've probably made some decision by now. I'm a little behind in my planning but I'm assuming that October is not high season so we should be ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Sue

To answer you question - I've heard that the weather is still great in October. It is much less croweded in July/August. Most places are open. I found some sample itineraries on www.greektravel.com

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Thyra

My husband, myself, and and another couple spent this past October in Greece and found the weather variable.. with wild thunderstorms for about 3 hours at a time, followed by "not a cloud in the sky" beach weather, and "wear a sweater" evenings. Places were much less crowded and we were able to swim quite a lot, most everything was open until the very end of our trip when a few of the shops on the islands were closing down. <BR>We went to Athens, Santorini, Mykonos and then took a yacht tour through the Saronic gulf islands of Aegina, Hydra, Spetses and Poros... <BR>Hydra and Santorini were my favorites by far! However if laying on the beach is your thing, Mykonos would be best, though it is known as a party island. The beaches on Santorini are black or red sand, hot! But there are volcanic islands in the center of the Caldera which you can take day trips to, then swim in the heated waters... overall Santorini is spectacular. If you have any other questions feel free to email me directly.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Susan

Sue, you mentioned whether it's possible to get to Naxos directly. We took a hydrofoil there from Santorini and then flew from Naxos to Athens at the end. (There's an airport there.) Flight was very reasonable. <BR> <BR>Personally I like Naxos better than Santorini. I've posted before about this. Santorini is visually stunning, but it doesn't feel very Greek. It's very touristy. I'm glad I went to it, but we had 4 days there and that was too long. There's more to see on Naxos and people actually work at something other than tourism there.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Joseph

Angela , <BR>I'm also planning a 2 week honeymoon <BR>trip to Santorini in End of November or October next year. <BR>But my worry is only the weather. Somebodies said the wind is very large during April and October like a typoon season. But i have to check it out. <BR>Santorini is good place for honeynoon cause it have beaches, special & cute shops and sunset to watch for romanic moment. <BR>