Reload this Page >

Honeymoon-Greece or Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Rebecca

We are planning a 2 week honeymoon in Sept/Oct and are considering Greece, Italy or both. Any tips on which, how to divide our time if we do both, and what not to miss?

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 02:58 PM
beth

My husband and I spent a 2 1/2 week honeymoon in Greece and in Italy a couple of years ago. We spent one night in Athens, and then went to Santorini, Rhodes, and Samos. All three islands were beautiful and very different. We then flew from Athens to Venice, and took the train to Florence and Rome. It sounds like a whirlwind, but we would not have done anything different if we were to do it again. I would go to Greece first to relax and enjoy the islands, and then go to Italy once you have relaxed. If you would like more information on hotels or travel specifics, e-mail me and I can give you good information. We used a great travel agent who was very familiar with both Greece and Italy, and she found us very nice "honeymoon" hotels that weren't terribly expensive.

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 12:17 PM
June

Hi Beth: <BR>My husband & I are going to Santorini at the end of May and would love your recommendation on where to stay.A nice "romantic" hotel that isn't terribly expensive would be wonderful. Many thanks, June

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 03:45 AM
Tia

I just returned from a trip to Athens and Rome. Loved all of Rome and enjoyed seeing the Parthenon in Athens. My only advise if you do choose Greece: spend only 1 day in Athens (that's all you'll need) and the rest visiting the islands. I'm from Hawaii, so personally, I enjoyed Rome a lot more! Happy Honeymoon!

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Pam First

My fiance and I are planning on going to Greece for our honeymoon at the very end of August. We will fly to Athens, then straight to Santorini same day. We will be staying at the Canervas (spell?)for 4 nights. We will then fly to Crete and stay 4 nights at the Elunda Beach Hotel. We will have a car. Then we go to Casa del Fino in Crete for 4 nights - then fly to Athens for two nights, staying at the Deviney Palace. Has anyone been to any of these places? I am praying that these are romantic places and relaxing. Looking to go running, swim and maybe snorkel. Anyone? <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:51 PM
Jen

Italy, all the way. I don't think there's a more romantic place to go in the whole world. What more could you ask for? There's beautiful art, great food, candlelit dinners in the piazzas, good wine... Just don't stick to the "Big 3". Explore the less touristy spots, too. <BR> <BR>Greece is nice, but if you want to just go lounge on a beach then go to Hawaii and save yourself some money. If it must be Greece at least visit some of the more off-the-beaten-track types of places. Santorini, Ios and the like are swarming with tourists, and although they have that picture perfect Greek "feel" to them (ie: blue and white buildings and not much else), they aren't all that pretty, or interesting (or at least I thought so). Look into the west coast islands. Xakinthos (sp?) comes to mind... I almost went there once -- it looks much more green, lush and romantic. <BR> <BR>Never see the sights of Athens on a Sunday. They are all free on Sundays, so you can imagine the crowds. Not fun. <BR> <BR>If you do decide to do both, definitely fly between the two. If you combine trains and the ferry it will take you two days, more or less, to get between Rome and Athens, one way. I can think of better ways to spend all that time on a honeymoon!! <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:54 PM
April

Jen says it all in my view. Go to Italy; skip Greece. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 10:39 PM
paciano diaz

My wife and I honeymooned in Greece and Italy last April. our stops in Greece were part of a cruise which was great because we were able to relax some. They we headed to Rome,Florence and Venice on our own.Both are can't miss. You might want to consider doing one or the other and really getting a "feel" for the country to choose. Two weeks on the Greek Isles alone would be great.Two weeks in Italy would also be great! <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 11:43 PM
April

We went to Greece for 3 weeks and it was too long - the only time I've felt that way about a place. We hoofed around on our own, but now I think a cruise would have been a better way to do it. <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 09:26 AM
michele

ITALY!!! Jen is absolutely correct about everything.