Reload this Page >

Home-base in the western Dolomites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:52 PM
Bill

I'm obsessing (as usual - LOL!) about our vacation this summer to Bavaria/Austria/ Italy. We're keeping everything pretty well centered on a distinct geographic core - the Alps - and as I research things, I keep adding more time to the Italian Dolomites. <BR> <BR>Here's my question: What's your recommendation for our home-base in Italy? We are thinking about a night in Lienz, Austria or in the Eastern Dolomites of Italy (Sexto/Sexten or Cortina). Then we'd travel the Great Dolomites Road going east and settle in one of the smaller towns for two or so. <BR>Here's what I have so far: Castelrotto/Kastelruth, Ortesei/St Ulrich, and Bressanone/Brixten. Recommendations for lodging would also be greatly appreciated! <BR>Any others towns in the area that we should consider? <BR> <BR>- Bill

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:58 PM
Bill

... "two or so NIGHTS" that is.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:59 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Bill <BR>Can only recommend one hotel in Cortina <BR>d'Ampezzo, the GRAND HOTEL AMPEZZO, it <BR>is an older hotel it is three stars with <BR>five stories, most of the front rooms <BR>have a balcony. It has been at least <BR>30 years since we stayed there twice <BR>but brings back only good thoughts. <BR>It did have a fairly good dining room. <BR>If you want to look at it g into www. <BR>sunrise.it/cortina/alberghi/ampezzo/index_eng.html.Richard of La Grange Park, IL..

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Peg

In Castlerotto, we loved the Cavalino d'Oro. What a fabulous place to stay! Wonderful food, spotless accommodations and the village is so charming. Wish we had spent more than two nights there!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:49 AM
Paulo

Trying to put myself in your shoes, I'd probably stay in Cortina. Cortina is a must anyway (once you're in the area) and it's relatively different to the other cities you'll be visiting, in respect to culture. Cortina is not Tyrolean ... even though most of the people understand/speak German, it's Italian. <BR> <BR>I'd drive from Salzburg to Cortina with a small detour to Kitzbühel for a stop. Then to Zell am See (short stop) and over the Grossglockner (short stop) and a longer stop in Lienz. Finally, to Cortina using the road through Misurina lake. The total driving time should read some 5 hours. If you leave Salzburg early, you'd have some 6 hours for your stops. <BR> <BR>I've nothing against Brixen ... as a matter of fact, with respect to Art it's the city that probably has the most important site (Abbazia di Novacella). It's a relatively larger city, though, and the scenery is less dramatic than in Val Gardena/Kastelruth. If you spend a night either in Lienz or Cortina (also larger cities) you may well experiment a smaller one. You'll be very satisfied with either Castelrotto (where traditions are the strongest in the South Tyrol) or in Ortisei (with Ladinean culture elements). <BR> <BR>Have no hotels to recommend in any of these cities, once I've only experimented 2 in the val Badia. Bob sure has a recommendation for Ortisei. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. The zero nights in Italy of the 1st draft plan may turn into 3! You better enjoy it fully or ... else I might hear some upon your return

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:24 AM
Bill

Paulo - <BR>Thanks, as always! <BR>I had no knowlege at all of the Dolomiti when I started planning. I was just looking for an interesting "scenic route" from Salzburg to Innsbruck. As you can see, this area is becoming the backbone of the entire trip. Now it looks as though Innsbruck will get the brief-stop-drive-through treatment! <BR>But, of course, this is what makes the planning of trips so interesting... and the Fodor's forum so valuable!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:50 AM
Christine

On 2 different hiking trips to the Dolomites I based in Cortina and San Cristina. I would recommend Cortina for the non-hiker. Val Gardena area for hikers. The Dolomites are beautiful and well worth the time, but I'm not sure if a non-hiker would enjoy it as much. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Paulo

I've many Brazilian friends that are non hikers (specially when the hiking is quite a ways up In summer, many of the chair lifts/cable cars are open and none of them that I remember reported back disapointed. On a clear day, non hikers may experiment the ceiling of the Dolomites, the Marmolada (just a small detour from Cortina to Val Gardena). The Falzarego Pass cable car and quite a few other should also be running. There are several opportunities to drive a bit, stop and take a lift, have a cappucino or refreshment, enjoy the view, and hit the road for the next lift. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 09:40 AM
Bill

Re hiking: <BR>I'd categorize us as "enthusiastic but aging" hikers. Not as macho and "macha", respectively, as we first met - on a University Outing Club trip, no less. (Our honeymoon was a month-long backpacking trip in the Rockies!) <BR>The appealing thing for us about the Alps - and the Dolomites in particular, as Paulo points out - is the abundance of chair-lifts and gondolas that continue operating in the summer. Now that's my wife's kind of hiking! Ride up to the high coutry and walk back down. I'd be game for some hut-to-hut hiking, but it would be without my better half.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Donella

Bill, <BR>Make sure you rent your car in Austria or Switzerland. It will be much cheaper than Italy that reqires mandatory extra ins.