Home Base in Crete?

Search

Home Base in Crete?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Base in Crete?

My husband and I are in our late 60's early 70's and have found as we've gotten older that we are happier having a home base when we travel and not move around too much. We are spending 2 weeks in Crete in October and would appreciate some suggestions as to where we should locate ourselves. I realize we may have to spend one week in one area and then change to another but even that would be preferable than moving every few days. Ideally we'd like to rent a house possibly with a pool, possibly with a view as we may have some friends joining us. It does not have to be close to a bigger city. Our interests are visiting ancient sites, small towns and some beaches. If possible I'd like to do some hiking. I realize we won't be able to do it all as less is more so are open to some sensible suggestions. Thank you
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 04:33 PM
kja

Two weeks is a nice amount of time for Crete!

IMO, Chania is absolutely delightful and Heraklion is seriously underrated. You might look at them. And you might find some useful information in my trip report. The section on Crete begins with post # 48.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 01:42 AM

I suppose you know that the main sites of Crete are wide spread, from the stunning beaches of Elafonissos in the "far" West up to the excavations of Kato Zakros in the easternmost part.
That means: if you want to visit all main sites from 2 bases only, you will have long daytrips.
May be you choose first the places you want to see and define your bases accordingly.
You will have no fine weather guarantee for October. It may rain on certain days and certain places (like Plakias) can get very windy.
The southern coast has much less big hotels and package tourists than the North, but from mid October, most beach resorts will get deserted anyway.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 02:30 AM

For two weeks I would probably want two bases. We were there only 8 days and based mostly in Chania but a few days in Reythmnon as well and that worked for us. But for what you want it might make sense to base a few days on the south coast.

Here is my trip report: A Week in Western Crete (with photos)

Photos are here: https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p18934947
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:09 PM

We are bit younger but still when we visit Crete we concentrate on one part of the island - west or east. We don't do longer trips as this island is too big.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Chania is the best area in Crete. But what you have to keep in mind is that yo6 need to do many kilometers by car.
Otherwise find a nice home on the beach you like and stay there.
I wouldnot suggest Heraklion but for sure Elouda where you can also visit Spinaloga. You should also visit Agio Nikolao area but do not stay there.
Another area that is quite but nice is Vai - Dinikodasos

Have really good time
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:54 AM

Go to the North coast between Kastelli and Ayos Nikolaos if you like holiday ghettos and package tourists, go to any other place if you like Crete.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kja for your comprehensive trip report on Crete. I've read it a number of times just to check with the map to see which route you'd taken and where you'd chosen to visit. I can't begin to thank you for providing so much useful information. It has helped immensely to help us decide how we'll spend our time in Crete. I think we'll stay mainly around Chania and do mainly day trips. I'm very interested in doing some hiking and was only thinking about the Samaria Gorge but I may change it to the Imbros Gorge instead.

Last edited by kerrylou; Apr 14th, 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you neckervd for your comments. There's always a risk when you chose to travel in October but we're okay with a bit of rain and wind and would prefer it to having all kinds of tourists around. I have read a number of the trip reports from kja and isobel and they have been immensely helpful, as were your comments, to help us decide how we'll spend our time in Crete. I think we'll find some accommodation around Chania and do day trips from that home base. Looking forward to it.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

isobel, The information you provided on your trip to Crete helped us decide where we should visit and where we should make our home base. I loved all the photos and will be sure to take the ferry to Balos/Gramvousa - it looks beautiful. I haven't quite decided if I should hike the Samaria Gorge but can see there are some choices to make once you have finished the hike. Again I have to give credit to this forum and all the dedicated and interesting contributors for providing so many suggestions for hotels, restaurants and useful hints that can make the difference between catching the sunset at a fortress or when to plan a visit to an obscure church.

Last edited by kerrylou; Apr 14th, 2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you elpida. As you probably know, half the fun of travelling is planning the trip. At least I think so. It's such a treat to open up a travel book or forum and imagine yourself laying on that beach or eating in that restaurant.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Got it!
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes pjck - I realized that after I had read all the reports and had a good look at the map of Crete.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 06:39 PM
kja

Originally Posted by kerrylou
Thank you kja for your comprehensive trip report on Crete. I've read it a number of times just to check with the map to see which route you'd taken and where you'd chosen to visit. I can't begin to thank you for providing so much useful information. It has helped immensely to help us decide how we'll spend our time in Crete. I think we'll stay mainly around Chania and do mainly day trips. I'm very interested in doing some hiking and was only thinking about the Samaria Gorge but I may change it to the Imbros Gorge instead.
I'm glad you found it useful! Thanks for letting me know.
Crete is amazing -- I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 11:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent two weeks in Chania and it was perfect,. We drove over to the south side of the island and spent a couple of nights in Loutro too.