Search

Holiday Inn

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Veronica

Holiday Inn

Just want to book a 3-4 stars hotel in Paris in late March. Are the Holiday Inn in Paris OK ? I found one in St. Germain. Is it near the Metro?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Gaia

Are you going to America or Paris?????

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Christina

Yes, it is near the metro (Rennes or Placide stops), that is a convenient location so no need to worry about that. I guess it is ok, so if you like what you see on their web site (which should have photo and description), should be ok. I haven't heard anybody really complain about it a lot. It's a somewhat large hotel for that area and modern interior but should be comfortable enough if you like that. It used to be a Comfort or Quality or Choice hotel, as I recall. I think that's probably one of their better locations in Paris and the best bet, although it's not their highest end, which are the Republique and near Gare de Lyon, both 4-star, I am pretty sure--but those areas might not be as desirable to many.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:06 AM
R. Swaim

I have stayed in the Holiday Inn on the Place de Reublique. That HI has a facade from the 19th century and the interior, though modern, is definately European rather than American. The restaurants were good, though expensive. Have a "continental" breakfast at the bar for much less than half for the same thing at the restaurant. Good location too, right by a metro stop. If you want a real American Holiday Inn, this probably isn't what you want.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Veronica

Thanks Christina and R swaim.<BR><BR>Actually I am not looking for the Holiday Inn with the American Style. However, know nothing about French, the brand name of HI do give me some confidence. The Holiday Inn on the place de Rublique looks very nice in the web site, but is it conventently located ? It's the first time I go to Paris and any info may help. Thanks.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Christina

Probably no Holiday Inn in Paris will be exactly American style as staff and mgt will probably be all French. That's just a franchise in Europe, but I'm sure they have to live up to some standards or HI would get mad. I haven't been inside the Republique but the outside and area which I like very much. It's an impressive building, on the historic register, and in front of a nice, lively square with carousel, cafes, etc. It is very convenient to the metro, also. The St-Germain one is closer to the chic neighborhoods and some tourist sites (and more tourists, espec. American ones), but the Republique isn't really that far out at all. It's only a couple metro stops from the Seine, also, just a little farther from the Seine than the other one. If it were me, I'd probably stay in the Republique one.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:03 PM
ron

Actually, guys, Holiday Inn is no longer American, anyway. It is owned by sixcontinents plc, a British company, the former Bass Brewery organization which, after selling their breweries, has gotten into the hospitality business - hotels, restaurants and pubs. As well as HI, they also own the Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza names.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Rex

From what I saw of the [Holiday Inn] Crowne Plaza Minerva in Rome (while it was still affiliated with them - - but not since last fall) - - it was PLENTY Italian, not "American-ized" - - and ritzy (so maybe that makes it cosmopolitan?)<BR><BR>I didn't stay there - - just walked through, and we had lunch at their lovely (and high-priced) rooftop terrace restaurant.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>