Hmmm.....where to go in 2008

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Montreal in May and Japan in October and of course here I am fretting about our vacation for next year! What can I say...its the obsessive travel planner in me!

I have to say that this one is blowing me away. Every other day I have a different option. We will be gone for about 2 weeks and the options we are considering are:

1) Switzerland (probably BO) and the Dordogne
2) Turkey (Istanbul and a few other places)
3) Mainland Greece
4) Back to Croatia and Montenegro
5) Morocco
6) The Mosel and back to the Rhine

I think this list is pretty amuzing because each of the areas are so different from each other, and yet I have a strong desire to visit each of them!

I don't know if I'm necessarily looking for advice as much as I'm just venting some of my "frustrations", although really, I only wish all of life's "frustrations" were like this! I just love to travel and truly treasure my vacation time, especially now because both DH and I recently moved and switched jobs so we both lost some vacation time that we are used to having.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Yikes....this posted way too quickly! Forgive me; I'm on my new laptop and its taking some getting used to.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how you ultimately decide on where to go?

From one travel lover to the next,
Tracy
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM

This is what I do: I spend time researching each of the places that I'm truly excited about. Then I just sleep on it for a while, and the trip I keep returning to in my mind is the one I decide on.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Hi Tracy! I can certainly relate to your dilemma. For this vacation we are going on next week I vacillated between Italy and France for the longest time (1.5 years actually!) before we decided on France/Switzerland.

We too are trying to plan a vacation for 2008.... it will probably be in Sept. or Oct. and for two or three weeks. I'm planning on taking my mom on a Caribbean cruise in Feb. '08 (her 60th b-day present), so I won't want to go on another vacation til the fall.

So the other day I told DH that for my next vacation I either wanted to go to:
1) Australia (prob my top choice)
2) Dubai
3) Ireland
4) That trip to Italy

That's the great thing about travel, you have so many diverse options open to you! And since my hubby and I have hardly been anywhere good we have sooo many great places to discover!!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Also have a great time in Montreal!!

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Glad to know its not only me having these "dilemmas"! This morning on my (long) commute to work I settled on France and Switzerland. Of course this will change during tomorrows (long) commute to work when I decide I'm settling on ______ (one of the other four choices above, or, or course, another one that I dream up). Decisions decisions!

Jen, have a wonderful time in France and Switzerland! Switzerland has been high on my "must see" list for about three years now, and why I haven't been yet totally escapes me. I'm really looking forward to Montreal! We will be celebrating DH's birthday and I have never been to Canada. Since we can't go back to France this summer I thought Montreal would be the next best thing!

Tracy
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'll make sure to post a trip report when I get back so you can get some ideas for your trip...

I forgot one destination above - Croatia! Tracy, your trip report made me want to go there!
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Jen, I definitely want to read your report! I have this feeling that we will probably end up going to France and Switzerland. Our Japan trip in October will be our first trip to Asia. Because it looks a little more intense, I think we will be ready for some relaxation!

Croatia was just fabulous! I think that, deep down, that's where I really long to go. I just feel guilty for some reason about going back to Croatia when there are so many other great places I haven't been yet. I struggle with this all the time; I'm happy that I've been to places that I loved so much that I want to return, yet I feel the urge to try something new.

Tracy
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Hi Tracy,

Just to confuse you more and do something totally different, we just returned from a trip to Argentina and Brazil. Loved it all, but LOVED, LOVED Buenos Aires. Cheap as all get out! Went totally crazy on the shopping front, excellent lodgings, great and beautiful people, beautiful buildings and parks, fabulous food, great nightlife, tango your heart out and and SOOO much less expensive than Europe sans the airfare ( that is still not too much below $950 RT, but search).

Anyhow from one Croatia lover to the next, I can understand you wanting to go back there, but give something else a whirl.

We loved Japan by the way several years ago; Tokyo and Kyoto. And Montreal, well that's just divine!!!

Isn't it nice to have these "dilemmas!!!??"
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

tripgirl, we have considered Buenos Aires on several occassions so its interesting that you brought it up! I've always wondered how it compared pricewise. I love Europe but it certainly is expensive to travel there. Of course traveling to Japan may put all of that into a new perspective!

We too are going to Tokyo and Kyoto. I'm really excited about venturing outside of Europe. And Montreal looks lovely as well.

I always love reading your trip reports. Do you know where you are going next?

Tracy
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Hey Tracy,

You know me.. the consummate traveler and planner!

We are going to Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Russia( now let's talk expensive here as compared to BA; I'm ready for real sticker shock even though we are not budget travelers) in about 3 months, the off to Cancun and the Yucatan for New Years, with lots of little domestic trips in between.

Really.. think a little harder about Buenos Aires; Europe will always be there. You are first starting to travel alot and what fun would it be for you to try different continents!

Except for airfare, BA is a steal. Albeit, you know I am a luxury traveler, so we did stay at one of the best hotels: The Alvear Palace as we were also with 6 of our other friends,so staying in an apt was not option. There beautiful apts in BA for so much less than hotels. But even still, if you need the assistance of concierge etc, the hotels in BA are so much less expensive than Europe and you can still have beautiful rooms. A few examples are Bobo Hotel and Home Hotel in the hip area of Palermo Viejo. Also Art Hotel in Recoleta, Loi Suites in Recoleta and even the Four Seasons, Caesar Park and Park Hyatt all in Recoleta are reasonably priced against European standards.

The food is inexpensive, cab rides ridiculously so, and I bought 3 purses, 3 tops, leather jacket, 2 shoes, 1 pant and numerous gifts all for what I might spend on a purse and a few tops in many ( not all of course) European cities.

And what fun is the tango, we took a private lesson; what a hoot. The people are lovely and the parks and buildings are beautiful. The history of BA fascinates me as well.

We've been to most of Europe now ( except for some of the Baltic countries) and of course will continue to go back many many more times in our lifetime. But I loved BA so much we are talking about renting an apt during our winter when my DH retires in about 1 1/2 yrs from now.
In any event, think about it.

Switzerland is fabulous too; but I was enraptured by BA.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM

The exchannge rate BTW is 3 to 1! And the prices start out so low that BA is just too much fun!!

I am happy to learn though that the people in Argentina are doing somewhat better and the economy is on the mend from the economic crisis of 2001. They do have some way to go though.

Even if the exchange rate changed , I'd be there.

At one time BA was one of the most expensive cities in the world.

( there were times I wanted to just throw extra money at everything, not that we felt sorry for anyone, it's just so refreshing to go to a place where the dollar is so strong). Last year in Croatia, I did indeed feel the price was right there too ( and as you know we go first class), but nothing like BA.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Also with 2 weeks for a vacation, you can put together a wonderful vacation. I do suggest you work with an agent in BA ( don't be scared off by this, they can assist with air, etc. Even if you always plan independent, the agents make it all easier for BA. Really very little need to do it most European countries, but you will see even here on Fodors Latin American board, the recommendation is there to work with an agent).

I would suggest highly Pilar at Argentina Escapes. She made our trip fantastic!!!!!They are not like traditional agents sometimes forcing you to take this hotel or do that tour. You tell her what you are interested in and she will design it for you.

With 2 weeks you can see not only BA but go up to the famous Falls and fit in a Uruguay day trip as well. If you like wine, you could spend perhaps 2-3 nights in Mendoza, the wine region. Possibilities are endless.

Old May 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Tripgirl, you certainly are selling me on BA! I have heard that BA is very European in flavor. Is this correct? Is Argentina very easy to travel in? We usually like to rent a car and explore on our own.

I love wine and I've heard that Argentina is a hot wine region right now! Do you know if the wineries offer wine tastings?

Tracy
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM

tcreath,
You would absolutely LOVE the Berner Oberland area of Switzerland! We went there after a trip to Paris a few years, did the train thing, and we still yearn to go back. The scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. It is definitely one of the great places to see in this world, and if you take the trains, is a very relaxing trip.
As for Japan, you're in for an eye-opening adventure. I went 10 years ago and felt like I'd landed on a different planet! It's a gorgeous country with beautiful people, you'll fall in love with it, I'm sure. I didn't care much for the food, however. I'm sorry, one can eat only so much sticky rice and miso soup. But they had surprisingly wonderful bread and pastries in the subway bakeries!
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Ahhh, those bakeries in Japan. Kept my twenty-something son from starving! We averaged $10 a day at the bakery.

but Tracy---about Switzerland---if you choose that, I'd love to help you plan. We're heading over for our fourth trip next month. I'm already suffering from plannig withdrawal because I made all the plans many months ago. Nothing left to do but take the trip. So I come here to get my Swiss travel planning fix.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Tracy, The Alps are a special place that must be experienced in your lifetime, and the BO is the best of them. But, you need to go in the summer months.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Tracy,
I feel your pain (yes, I know, it really hurts). Can’t advise you, I have the same dilemma. Here is what I can say though: you and I seem to have pretty similar likes in traveling –loved Croatia last year, we’re going to Ireland this year (I know you visited Ireland already) and my top priorities for 2008 are Switzerland, Norway, Newfoundland (Canada) or Greece (either the mainland or the islands). Looks a lot like your list…

I think I would pick Switzerland.

Tripgirl,
Argentina sounds great - But isn’t it winter there when it’s summer here? Though I’m not sure how cold does it get there…
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow...all the votes for Switzerland must mean that my mind is headed in the right direction! We love mountain scenery and hiking. We did visit Switzerland in 2005, although it was only Appenzell, near the Germany/Austria border. A beautiful area but I'm longing for something more dramatic. Enzien, if I do decide on Switzerland I will definitely be posting and looking for advice! And bob, we are usually off-peak travelers but will more than likely visit Switzerland in late May or sometime in June when we can hike and enjoy the beautiful scenery without worrying so much about snow!

I have to laugh about the Japanese food comment Hagan! I don't eat any seafood of any kind and avoiding it in Japan is going to prove an interesting challenge, I'm sure. I'm thinking lots of rice, lots of noodles, and I'm always in the mood for some good bakery items!

xyz99, I do recall us having similar travel styles! When are you headed to Ireland? Its truly a lovely country and the people are the friendliest I've ever encountered on my trips. You will have a fantastic time!

Thanks for all the comments!
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Hi Tracy!

I suffer from "CTP"...Constant Trip Planning!

I'm going to Turkey in September and Rome in December this year and have started planning my return trip to Ireland for May 2008 and I'm trying to decide for the fall of 2008 between Paris or Buenos Aires!

The more I read about BA the more I want to go there! And I was also in Croatia last September...great minds travel alike!

Enjoy your upcoming travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -