Hi Helpful Fodorites
I asked about ideas on this a couple of months ago and I've about decided on what to do.
As a recap, I'll be flying into Athens from Paris on September 3 and will arrive about 5:30 pm. Three friends will also be arriving from the US about that time. They will be jetlagged, I won't. We have three nights before we all have to be back in Athens to meet the rest of our group of friends who will be arriving after us.
I'm wanting to go somewhere I've never been for those three nights. Arriving so late makes most flights and ferries impossible, unless we wait until the next morning. BUT, I've found a great sale on flights to Rhodes and there is a flight leaving at 9:20 pm that night. So, it's either three nights in Rhodes (really just two full days though) OR, renting a car at the airport and driving to Napflio for those three nights.
I don't want to stay in Athens those three days as I've been to Athens many many times and we will be doing Athens for two nights once the rest of our group arrives. We will also be going to Santorini and Milos on the trip.
What do you think? Any thoughts about what makes the most sense? Obviously I'd be doing the driving since my friends will be massively jet lagged. (This will be the first trip overseas for two of them)
I'll be finishing up work in France and so I'm looking to just regroup and recharge before starting to "lead" the group of friends through Greece. I love seeing ancient sights but also just soaking up the culture, food, atmosphere of Greece. I also enjoy hiking, kayaking and visiting beautiful beaches. Basically being outside.
Pros and cons to each place? Ease of getting from the airport to Old Town Rhodes? Ease of driving to Napflio? Is one generally more budget friendly than the other?
Thanks for all the help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 2 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 3 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 6 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 7 Best Greek Island
- 8 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 9 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 10 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 13 Malaga Christmas lights
- 14 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 15 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 16 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 17 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 18 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 19 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 20 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 21 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 22 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 23 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 24 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 25 The World's Greatest Churches
Hi Helpful Fodorites