History Austria.pre& post WWII

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to read on Austria in the pre and during and post WWII days. Not just about the concentration camps,but a history in general.Thank you,Lisa
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:18 PM

OK............How about going to your library and taking out a history book on Austria. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:37 PM

The book I would recommend is called "The Habsburgs: Embodying Empire". This book, by Andrew Wheatcroft, will give you the sense of history that surrounds this wonderful country. It will not cover anything after WWI; however, it will give you insight into the family that really shaped Austria into a major power in Europe before WWI.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

If the Pixies reply was a slam about going to the library,my town is not large, and therefore the library isn't either. I was hoping for some constructive information on titles or authors.Lisa
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:54 AM

A novel I like, which is out of print, but Amazon has some copies, is 'Night Falls on the City' by Sarah Gainham -a story about a Viennese actress who hides her husband from the Nazis right through the war. Sarah Gainham was a reporter based in Vienna for many years, so this is a cut above romantic and simplified history.

George Clare's 'Last Waltz in Vienna' is also a good personal memoir.

Gordon Brook-Shepherd writes a lot about Austria and central Europe, though I don't necessarily agree with all his opinions. He has written an overview history called 'The Austrians - a Thousand- year Odyssey' as well as books about specific personalities (Dollfuss) and periods of Austrian history.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:15 AM

Mark Allinson, Germany and Austria 1814 - 2000. Modern History for Modern Languages, (London 2002)
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Geez, I hate the popups on this site! In any case, I just got back from 10 days in Salzburgerland and environs, and found that the history section of the Blue Guide to Austria, and the Blue Guide generally, was an excellent introduction to the history of the areas we were in. Salzburg (and its territory) was controlled by Catholic Archbishops for a long time, and the history of the religious fights, beginning with the battle over the Investiture comes through loud and clear as you visit the various castles, churches and other sites.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, and have found one book by Gordon Brook-Shephard in one of the county's library.Will keep looking for some of the other on the web.Lisa