Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Historic Royal Palaces membership---is this a dream?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2019, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just making sure I am understanding this correctly and am not falling for some tourist trick/trap.

We can join HRP as 2 adults for 80 pounds and visit Hampton Court Palace, Tower of London and Kensington Palace with that membership at no additional charge? If I am reading this right, we would be paying $38.40 (2 adults) at Hampton Court Palace, $45.40 (2 adults) at Tower of London and $39 (2 adults) at Kensington Palace.

Are there member entrances at these sites or do you just skip a ticket line and queue at a general entrance for security checks, etc....

It seems too good to be true, so asking to ensure I am not being a dumb dumb!
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 06:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yep, I believe all that's the case. Last year we purchased a family membership in Cadw for our three weeks in Wales. That worked out great and this deal seems similar. Plus we could return to the same sites several times if we wanted, which makes it even better. And we made use of the 10% gift shop savings.

There were no member entrances at the Cadw sites, as I recall, but we definitely skipped the ticket lines. That may be different for the historic palaces.

A rare case where to good to be true is in fact true.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
At most properties you can skip the ticket queue (but there could be a security queue)

>>I am not being a dumb dumb!<<.

You are not
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 08:34 AM

We're planning to purchase the same membership for our upcoming trip. Even if we just visit the Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace, it will save my family of 5 £20.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 09:04 AM

Did you factor in the 2 for 1 entry that you can easily qualify for by buying a rail ticket to cover the whole time in London -

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Probably no priority entrance though but could be cheaper if you did not factor in the 2 for 1 at all three.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. So many of these offers often save time but necessarily money, so I just wanted to check with others to see if I was misinterpreting this in some way.

Awesome. Sold!
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
denisea, I'm sold on these museum cards. Last July I bought one in Venice which I used at 5 of the 8 properties involved, which more than exceeded the cost, and then when I went back there in November, I saw all the other properties, and found out that it gave me almost free access into the Tintoretto exhibition as well. Ditto in Bologna, to which I'm returning in a few weeks' time when I will be able to use the museum card I bought last February.

I hope you enjoy your visit to London.