Hiring a guide for Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have recommendations on hiring a guide for Paris?

We are visiting for one day and thinking we may want to have a guide. Still thinking about it at this point but wanted to get some recommendations

I tried doing a search and I guess didn't search correctly as I didn't come up with what I was looking for

Thank you
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
jgg

Contact Michael Osman. His website is http://www.geocities.com/parisfinder/. We spent a wonderful day with him in Paris. He will plan the day around what you want to see. Search his name here and you will find many other glowing recommendations.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:37 AM

I second Michael but he is notorious for not answering emails. If you only have one day and he doesn't answer your email until a week before you arrive you might find yourself in a panic about whether he is going to be available.... When he isn't available his friend Scott helps out too.

If that doesn't work and you just want to get a fun overview of the city and a "lay of the land" before heading out on your own you can take one of the Fat Tire Bike Tours which start under the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I'll third or fourth Michael...do read Maitaitom's trip report on Paris.

And Nichole...you are really advertising and that's not allowed here!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Here's another HUGE recommendation for Michael Osman.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
tod

I have another very highly reccommended guide if you can't get hold of Michael Osman.
If you would like her details please post an email address I can send the particulars to.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Tod: I'd like your recommedation. I've been emailing Michael Osman to no avail (so far). Thanks. [email protected]
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Good Lord. Michael Osman isn't the only guide in Paris. Hasn't anybody tried someone else?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM

There's lots of advertising here. Some people are just more subtle about it than others.

And yes, if one tour guide didn't answer my e-mails in a reasonable time, I would look elsewhere.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend anyone else beside Michael. I don't like dealing with anyone that isn't answering emails reliably

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
nsbuscher

So sorry everyone! I didn't mean to advertise on the site (I now know the rules and will follow them) and I have emailed Fodor's to have my comments removed from the site. Sorry about that!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM

try Barbara at www.thefrenchside.com - I originally used her for a photo tour and she was great! She also does other tours...
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Here, here, Robespierre - I totally agree. There are other guides & frankly I was not impressed with Michael Osman. He has such a loyal/rabid following here that I've never mentioned it, but since you're inquiring, I'd say look elsewhere.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:54 PM

For sure, there are lots of others, and we've hired more than several. But, Michael is positively superb in many, many ways, and, most definitely the very best.

There are very good reasons why, and also very good reasons why so many are unsuccessful booking him...
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM

You might check parisphototours.com. I have not taken one of their tours but I am familiar with them from when I was on the AOL board. They do more than photo tours and will also customize tours to fit your needs. There is information on the website. One of the women Linda Mathieu is from Texas, married to a frenchman. I remember when she was moving to Paris. She has a blog and I check in on it from time to time..there's a link on the phototours website..it was fun to read her experiences building their house in Provence. She works with another woman who, as I recall is from Belgium and I think lived in Boston for some time and now is in Paris. So, anyway, if you don't get a better suggestion or hear from Michael, you might give them a try. There is an e-mail address on the website to contact them so you could see what they could do for you and the prices.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
tod

Suffrock - hope you got my email with the guide info.

ga9497 - I can send details if you give me an email address. This way we do not tread on any toes by advertising.
Regards, Tod
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:51 AM

The info that Crefloors posted is quite good and these folks are friends of Michael's (just "friends" not associates, etc.)--through the AOL French board. Michael has a loyal following because he served the purpose he was hired for by those who like him. For us, it was a truly superb experience--and I had met him previously in a social situation. No need to trash him--especially if you have never used his services.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:08 AM

I just reread the thread, and I see no "trashing" of Michael Osman. Obviously, he is doing something right to have such a loyal following. I think what most people were suggesting is that if he doesn't have time to answer e-mails from people looking to use his services, he is quite busy, and there are a number of other excellent options in Paris.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Just to clarify - I mentioned Barbara above - I originally was matched with her through parisphototours.com (which someone else mentioned).

So, basically, I'm also second'ing the recommendation for parisphototours.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -