Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car with a driver or renting a car in Vernon, France

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Cornelia

We are planning on visiting Giverny in June so we will take a train from Paris. But we hope to see that area beside famous Giverny. What day of the week are Giverny gardens and the house the least crowded if there is such day in the begining of June

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:43 AM
wendy

Maybe someone else can answer this as I am not certain which days are MOST crowded, but I'm there when the doors open at 9 a.m. and do not have a problem being one of the first visitors on a June day. Groups (coach buses) seem to appear around 10 a.m.

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Rex

Vernon is a pleasant enough medium-sized town. I don't know about other car rental companies, but I have rented from Avis in Vernon. It is not a convenient walk from train station, nor much of anything (a friend dropped me off there). Friendly staff, but you would have to take a cab from the train station if you are renting from Avis.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:22 AM
elaine

If you go to Giverny on your own, try to avoid the days that Paris Vision (www.parisvision.com)and Cityrama (www.cityrama.com) run their tours, or at least go very early in the day before the buses arrive. If you can't avoid the bus tour days, when the site opens, leave the crowds at the house and follow the signs in the garden to the water lily pond (Bassin aux Nympheas). While the crowds are going through the house, you will see the pond and bridge with more tranquility. You can go through the house and other areas of the gardens and gift shop before you leave.
Quite close by (a few steps)is the Musee Americain at 99 rue Claude Monet.
It is open from April October, closed on Monday. The collection includes works by American impressionists.

This website has a lot of information on Vernon, including transportation options, even boats
http://www.destinationserver.net/
mbna/er/dest_er_france.asp

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Boots

Cornelia, you might try giverny.com. I think there is a "travel" or "transportation" section. I rented a 2CV from a place in Giverny at a very good price. We had a lot of fun driving through the villages near Giverny and lunching at La Roche-Guyon (?). The 2CV may be a bit tricky for American drivers, but that was part of the adventure. I'm at school, but if you want info on this, let me know, and I will respond this evening. Boots