Reload this Page >

Hip Things for Teenagers

Search

Hip Things for Teenagers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Bruce

Hip Things for Teenagers

What hip clothing stores,poster shops and art installations would you recommend for my 16 year old son?

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 03:28 AM
tell us where

Where?

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 09:52 PM
Bruce

Paris

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Caitlin

If your son is into contemporary/different art, not those same old impressionists, etc., I wou;ld recommend the Centre George Pompidou, newly reopened this year. This is the "inside out" building with pipes, etc., and a glass-covered escalator on the outside of the building (leading up to a 6th-floor observatory with terrific views). Inside is the Musée National d'Art Moderne, strictly 2oth-century, and when I was there a few weeks ago, most af the gallery space was devoted to very contemporary art from paintings to installations--everything from neon to a huge, pulsating orange beanbag. Lots of neat and different things. Also handy is that it's open in the evening every day, not just once a week. <BR> <BR>As for places to wander and check out book, clothing, etc., shops, I recommend: the Marais area (3d/4th arr.), which has a young edgy, feel (also a big gay neighborhood, BTW, though not sex shops, etc.) and the area around the Place de la Bastille; Blvd. St. Michel from the Seine down to the Jardin du Luxembourg and adjacent streets near the Sorbonne, full of shops catering yo a young (i.e., college student) population; and Blvd. St. Germain through the 6th arr., a mix of boutiques, galleries, and clothing/bookstores.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:18 AM
elvira

Skateboarders and inlineskaters on the bridge by Notre Dame and on the Trocadero esplanade; there's an outdoor museum on the Left Bank; not unusual to find small parks with sculpture by contemporary artist on special exhibit. Check this site for the dates you'll be in Paris for things to do: <BR>http://www.paris.org/Calendar/ <BR> <BR>Somewhere behind the Assemble National (maybe a little west of it) are contemporary art galleries.... <BR> <BR>Caitlin's nailed just about everything else.