Reload this Page >

Hilton Prague???

Search

Hilton Prague???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Augie

Hilton Prague???

I have a reservation at the Hilton Prague, what do you guys think? is it far? I would like to stay in this hotel since I am not an adventurer when it comes to hotel. I know that this hotel will give me what I need, clean and comfort. Please let me know if this is far off the main sites. From the hotel web site, it seems to be pretty close, but I want to make sure with the experts here. Thanks!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Maira

The Hilton is far from the main sights. There is a metro station, but you have to walk quite a bit. It is located sort of in a business district with no real appealing whatsoever. The hotel, although not attractive outside, it's gorgeus inside. Tons of Americans, specially airlines personnel. Their restaurant is really good. I would urge you to book a hotel closer to Mala Strana/Charles Bridge area. There are plenty recs already posted. Seek out Christina's past postings on Prague hotels. Very good info. Be forewarned that supply and demand of hotels rooms in Prague is quite unbalanced, which drives the prices up quite a bit. We stayed at Hotel Opera, which was not too close either, but we arrived with no reservations and had to take what we found. If in doubt, make reservations for 1-2 days and switch over once in Prague. The Hilton does have wonderful concierge services that arrange day tours, city sightseeing, etc. All things considered, I would stay closer to Charles Bridge. It is a magical place.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:00 AM
alex

Augie <BR> <BR>Stayed at the Hilton Prague last June prob for the same reasons as you - whilst I like some character in my hotels, my fellow travellers want air-con, big rooms and the usual "familiar" comforts. The price was very reasonable for weekends especially and that's why we stayed there. I also thought it looked a fair distance from the main sights but actually is a reasonable 10-15 minute pleasant walk along Na Porici to the Obeci Dum (Estates Theatre) which is the start of the eastern bit of the city centre/old town. The walk is safe although the bit very nearest to the Hotel (under a flyover) is hardly beutiful! <BR> <BR>The Metro is three minutes away and convenient for the Castle (catch a tram also), Wencelclas Sq etc. So it really is pretty walkable and you shouldn't be overly worried. We were glad we stuck to the Hilton. <BR> <BR>Didn't try their restaurant as it did seem rather overpriced compared to local cuisine. Sad, but the MacDonalds is also two minutes away - thankfully we restricted ourselves to coffees only! <BR> <BR>There are also lots of taxis available from the Hotel although they are (even for 4 passengers) about 10 times more expensive than the metro.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Christina

I stayed in Prague in a very nice hotel closer to city center, but I did go by the Hilton with someone in a car once and I myself would describe it as rather far from city center. I think the author of last post is confusing some sites in Prague, also, as Estates Theater is not on the eastern edge of the city center and is not called anything similar to Obeci Dum in Czech (its name is Stavoske divadlo in Czech). I suspect Alex may mean the Municipal House near the Namesti Republicky metro stop, which is called Obecni Dum in Czech. In any case, I walked along that street from the Municipal House, not all the way to the Hilton, but in fact much closer where my hotel was, and I wouldn't agree that it is only 10-15 min from there to the Hilton. I know a lot of people have widely differing ideas of how long it takes to walk somewhere and distances. The Hilton is also kind of in an odd location on some major freeways or near railroad tracks, as I recall, just not that accessible or pleasant an area. It is very ugly from the outside, but I am not surprised it's nice on the inside. However, there are many other hotels in Prague with reliable and modern comforts that are closer in, and that are newer and more attractive. I like a comfortable although not deluxe hotel, also, no adventurous surprises, but there are two new Marriotts near the Namesti Republicy metro stop that I would suggest as better choices for location (one is a Renaissance) than the Hilton. The Hotel Savoy is very nice, also, and is more towards the castle. I personally wouldn't find that so convenient a location, but it's certainly very nice. I stayed in the 4-star Golden Tulip Maximilian which was wonderful, near the Jewish Qtr and within walking distance of the city center; it is also very attractive and charming and newly renovated and extremely comfortable (really about the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world, although I usually stay in 3-star hotels). If all you want is clean and comfortable, there are plenty of choices other than the Hilton, though.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:13 PM
peter

if the hilton falls thru i suggest you try the movenpick praha5. its a 5 minute walk to the tram that goes anywhere. nice hotel and all the ammenities