Hiking the Brittany Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a (2-4 day)hike along the coast of Brittany, possibly from St Malo to Mont St Michel. Has anyone done this, without a tour group? I understand hikng maps are available in Rennes. Has anyone used these maps?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:07 AM

I havn't done this but some friends just did a short walk on the coast from Le Croisic and they said it was one of the most gorgeous walks they've ever done, and they've done a lot. Paths were excellent. Michelin maps and IGN maps have GR (Grand Randonee?) paths on them; IGN maps may be better but both are widely available, especially in a place like Rennes, but you're probably talking about something much more detailed which i'm not familiar with.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM

It's not the most spectacular part of the Breton coast. Nice enough, but no cliffs or great rocks or lighthouses. Do you have chance to look further west? I think you may find at least a couple of people here who've done tat.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Here's a B&amp;B that is between St. Malo and Cancale, close to the ocean and 2 km. from the nearby lighthouse <i>pointe</i>:

Our B&amp;B in Cancale is a converted farmhouse which now contains 5 individual rooms for shorter stays and two units for longer stays (g&icirc;tes). Taking care of the rooms is the full time occupation of the host--M.Marc Loisel &lt;[email protected]&gt; 02 99 89 73 61

BTW, between St. Malo and Cancale there are cliffs and beautiful views. But the terrain does flatten out between Cancale and Mont St. Michel.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I took some walks alone around St.Malo to MSM area few years ago. As mentioned by previous posts: except along the cliff,the flat terrain makes very easy but not uninteresting walks.

It is not necessary to join a group as the footpathes are very well marked. Red and white strips(with route number)for GR long distance pathes, yellow waymarkers for local routes. You could get maps for GR34,local routes from tourist centre.

From St.Malo, frequent bus takes you to Cancale(the capital of oyster,most interesting seaweeds on the beaches in lowtide),the circular walk from Cancale to Pointe Du Grouin is an easy walk along the cliff with nice views.

From Cancle to St.Malo, the route is a bit less interseting as the countryside quite flat, but at the end, the view of SMS raising from skyline is quite rewarding.

Would you consider walking westwards from St.Malo? Cap Frehel area offers much more dramatic scenery and quite moderate walk. If you could go further west,the Cote de Granit Rose &quot;Pink Granite Coast&quot; is even more beautiful but no less easy.

My most favorite walk is around Pointe Du Raz, but it is the wastmost point of Brittany. Another one is from Pont-Avon to Port-Manech on the southwest coast.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:58 AM
amelia

jdbird--I'm in perfect agreement with the above posters. Cancale towards St. Malo and beyond is rewarding; Cancale towards Mont St. Michel is not.