Hiking Switzerland in Sandles??!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for advice as to what trails/walks it would be possible to do in the Bernese Oberland area if I'm only bringing sandles as footware. Yes I know that sounds kind of bizarre, even as I write it. But here's my problem. I'm going first to Sicily for 11 days (in July), then Switzerland for the last 7. And within Switzerland I'm planning on also visiting Bern and Luzern, so that only leaves a couple of days for the mountains. Therefore I don't want to bother carrying "appropriate" footwear/clothing all over for three weeks just to wear once.

So in July, are there any trails/walks, etc that won't kill me to do them in sandles? I usually walk about 10 or more miles a day when I travel, but usually in cities.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Well, I suggest you keep off the Eiger North Wall Trail, and the Pfinstegg to Stieregg trail would not be one I would suggest you try either. There are a few others as well that hit me as being good ones to avoid.

But the trail from Grutschalp to Mürren is fairly easy, and the trail from the First Gondola station to the Bachsee is a only a little rocky. It is broad and maintained to some extent. However, someone just recently was complaining about it being steep.

My reaction was that at age 70 it gave me no problems.

If the soles of those sandal things are thick enough to protect you against sharp rocks, then you can do it. If not, confine your walking to paved areas.

My fear would be slamming my toes into a rock on the trail. That hurts.

Also, keep off snow banks, otherwise your feet will get a snow bath that can be a little chilly. Also, without good traction, the danger of falling goes up quickly.

I personally would not attempt it. I want toe protection, good traction, and an ankle collar to protect that vulnerable area. But I have seen just about everything in those hills except barefeet.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Not a good idea...the trails are loose dirt and sandels will be too slippery. Get some of those lightweight hikers that look like sneakers
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM

I opened this thread out of curiosity... Sandles? Never heard of it in Switzerland. Sure enough, it's "sandals" misspelled.

If you will be in Zermatt, you can wear anything for "hiking" on the paved trails. Just keep in mind, your feet will get dirty, bring some laundry soap or socks.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM

The hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg can easily be done in sandals.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure you don't want to bring along or wear a pair of sneakers? I don't mean to be a butt-insky but I couldn't do 18 days in sandals only whether city touring or the countryside.