Reload this Page >

Hiking Sud Tirol

Search

Hiking Sud Tirol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Geri

Hiking Sud Tirol

We are planning our East Tyrol (Pragraten) and Sud Tirol hiking vacation for early September. We would like to trive from Matrei Austria to Klammljoch to Rain to Sand then north to St. Johann to Kasern (Ahrntal region). But, I am having difficulty finding details on the Ahrntal region. We prefer cozy small villages with hiking trails rather than the major tourist villages. My South Tyrol hiking book (Waymarks) only covers the Merano and Brixen areas. Has anyone hiked in the Ahrntal region or visited this area. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Steve James

Hello Geri,<BR><BR>Your best source of info might be:<BR>www.tauferer.ahrntal. com<BR>You could e-mail them for hiking routes.<BR><BR>Also try e-mailing:<BR>[email protected]<BR>[email protected]<BR>< BR>Bolzano Tourist Info Office are very good at sending out brochures too.<BR><BR>If you have a car I can suggest a number of areas in the Dolomites proper within 30 minutes of Brunico.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Jim

I've visited Sand in Taufers but not the Upper Ahrntal. This area is typically Alpine, but doesn't have the scenic splendour of the Dolomites south of Val Pusteria.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Geri

Steve, Thank you so much for the website. I have found so much helpful information there. The area appears to be ideal for what we enjoy. Do you have a favorite village? Jim, for hiking we tend to prefer cozier, lush villages rather than more arid and wide open spaces that we have found further South. It is just a personal preference for us. Thank you both for you comments.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Steve James

Geri - I know Campo Tures/Sand in Taufers but not the villages of Ahrntal itself. I know most of the villages of the Dolomites, - but it sounds as if your not planning to go there.<BR><BR>If you do plan any hiking away from Ahrntal, I would strongly reccommendBR>1. Lago di Braies (east of Brunico, Val Pusteria), - perhaps the most beautiful lake in the area.<BR>2. Val Fiscalino - Sesto Dolomites, Upper Val Pusteria<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Geri

Steve, we have found some information on Val Pusteria and it does look wonderful. We are thinking of changing the itinerary to include that region first and then make our way to the Ahrnal. Looking through some of the literature, my husband thinks Val Venosta looks really pretty. Basically, we are not commited to anything and appreciate all suggestions. Which villages/areas are your favorite and why? We like the small "cozy" villages, alpine meadows, little hamlets, and we are avid hikers. Thank you again. You have been a big help! <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Richard

Geri, What is the definition of 'hiking'? We have taken long walks on trails in the Ticino, Dolomites and Marmolada areas. Is this considered hiking, if so we would love to find resources for maps, etc. for other areas. We take long vacations, 3-4 weeks and travel by bike. When we find a town we like we stop for a few days and find hiking trails.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Geri

Richard, We also take long bicycle trips throughout Europe (Norway, Ireland, England, Italy..several times, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, etc.) When not on a pedaling vacation we rent a car and then visit small towns and hike/walk. I call it hiking because we live in a region where we are often climbing up rocks to reach summits. But, you are right, in Europe it is often more like "walking". It is so pleasant walking from one little hamlet to the next. We love it! I often order detailed maps from Travel & Books Languarg Center in Bethesda, MD 800-220-2665. But, as far as getting good hiking maps, we usually wait until we arrive at an area and purchase a good one from the tourist office. It seems that if we use our intuition when looking at the detailed road maps, we find some of the most beautiful villages and hiking areas. May I email you directly? If so, it would be fun to share pedaling/walking experiences.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:06 AM
Steve James

Geri - My favourite areas/villages? Well, your really spoilt for choice in this beautiful area. You seem most interested in the north, and my favourite areas there are VAL GARDENA, VAL BADIA, the SESTO DOLOMITES and the BRAIES NATURAL PARK.<BR><BR>If you're coming from East Tyrol/ Lienz I'd certainly suggest a few days in the Upper Val Pusteria area, which has easy access to the Sesto Dolomites and the Braies Natural Park.<BR><BR>But the Val Pusteria itself is a busy main route, and I'd suggest you stay instead just south of the main valley.<BR>My choice would probably be the villages of Moso/Sesto near S. Candido, or alternatively S. Vito, a tiny village in an idyllic setting en route to Lake Braies. <BR><BR>These two areas are only 30 minutes apart, and would be fine choices for hikes to:<BR>- Lake Braies<BR>- Prato Piazza<BR>- Val Fiscalino<BR>- Tre Cime di Lavaredo (either from Val Fiscalino or the Auronzo Refuge near Lake Misurina - 40 mins by car).<BR><BR>Some websites for this areaBR>www.dolomiti.it/eng/zone/pusteria/sesto.htm<BR>www.sexten.it (Summer hikes)<BR><BR>www.trenker.suedtirol.net/en <BR>-is a hotel site but it shows Lago di Braies and gives you an idea of the setting of S. Vito.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:54 AM
Steve James

-cont-<BR><BR>If you're looking to do high altitude hiking there are a number of refuges throughout the Dolomites where you can stay overnight - though some will close in September. (There are also the 'Alte Vie' routes if you want to include some climbing as well ...)<BR><BR>VAL GARDENA is another beautiful area for hiking, and might be your best choice IMO if you want to use cable-cars and chair-lifts. The village of Ortisei in Val Gardena is very attractive (- my favourite village in the Dolomites). <BR><BR>From the villages of Val Gardena you can take lifts to the Alpine meadows of Alpe di Siusi, or to the Odle (Seceda lift) or Sasso Lungo ranges for stunning views. For more info on this area:<BR>www.val-gardena.com<BR><BR>I've stayed in the upper VAL BADIA twice in recent years, and this area has some of the most spectacular scenery. The villages of San Cassiano, Corvara, Colfosco and La Villa are good bases for this area. Above San Cassiano at the top of the Valparola Pass is LAGAZUOI, - one of the most stunning cable-car rides in Europe. The views from the top are just awesome.<BR>The website for this area has summer hiking suggestions:<BR>www.dolomitisuperski.com/altabadia<BR><BR>Hope this helps, Geri ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>