Reload this Page >

Hiking near Pugicerda (Cadi Pyrennes)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 11:35 AM
MARKLB

We will be arriving in Pugicerda and Meranges the last week of September and staying for four days. We would like to do a day hike (3 - 6 hours) each day. We will have a car and are not averse to driving 1/2 to 1 hr to a trail head. Walks in lovely countryside are great too. We would like to identify trails & hikes before we embark. Any suggestions? Are brochures or literature describing hikes from the local tourist offices avaiable? Are the trails well marked? We have been spoiled by the excellently marked and maintained trails of the Dolomitti and by the literature available from their tourist bureaus. By the way, we will be in Andulsia the previous week and plan on walking thru the Alpujarras villages. We will also be in Grazelema and at La Bobadilla. Any suggestions for bicycling, hiking or literature that could help us identify hikes around there?<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:35 AM
esperanza

Hi Mark:<BR>This may be pushing it a bit as far as driving time to a trailhead for you however the walking around Val de Nuria is spectacular.<BR>The drive from Puigcerda to Ribes de freser along the N152 will probably take you about1 1/2 hours then you can take the Cremallera train all the way up to Nuria and walk back downhill to Queralbs (the walk takes anywhere from 2 hours for a very experienced hiker up to 5 hours for a slow walker) then take the train back to your car at Ribes. Conversely you can take the Cremallera (a cogwheel train) from Ribes up to Queralbs then hike up to Nuria (this walk is uphill and can take 7 -9 hours depending on skill levels)then take the train back down to Ribes.<BR>The scenery is spectacular anywhere in this area. All around Puigcerda there are hikes that are well marked. Check at the tourist office in Puigcerda for some excellent maps and suggestions if Nuria sounds too far.<BR>The Rough Guide to the Pyrenees lists lots of other walks/hikes in the area around Meranges and Puigcerda. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
MARK

Thanks Esperanza for the reply. We were considering the hike up to Nuria. I am glad you gave me an estimated driving time alnong N152 (I read somewhere it would be 45 min)nor did I think it would take as long as 7-9 hrs up. We can plan accordingly now. Muchas gracias!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Jordi

If you're in Meranges, you might consider the Puigpedr&oacute;s mountain, which you'll be able to see from the village. 2,900m (9,500ft) will give you a nice view of surroundings, incl. the Cad&iacute; range as you go up and the French side once you reach the summit. Average difficulty but a long way means up to 8hr. there and back.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Mark

Thanks Jordi. Is the trail scenic most of the way up or are the views mainly as you approach the top? By the way what temperatures should we expect in late Sept & early Oct?