Search

Hiking in Switzerland in April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Switzerland in April

Hello Everybody,

I will visit to Switzerland again the coming April.

As I will visit Zermatt, St. Mortiz,, Jungfrau region, Sucol-Tarasp.. I want to know whether it is suitable to hiking down from the mountain.

Will the snow on the road make you feel uncomfortable when walk down the mountain.

Does anyone give me some suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Gavin
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Hi hkchemsir,

There are some trails that are kept open in the wintertime; that means that the mounds of snow will be cleared, but there may still be a covering of snow and some ice on the trail.

There's no need to feel uncomfortable, though, as you'll see lots of folks walking and hiking, and lots of multi-generational families. The best thing is to be sure to have the right shoes -- waterproof of course, plus big-lug soles to give you traction when you need it.

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM

We've been to the Bernese Oberland twice in April, the first time many of the paths were clear, the second time the same places were a metre under snow. Depends very much on the weather that year.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We spent two weeks in Zermatt and the Jungfrau region last April and we did a lot of hiking. There were plenty of groomed trails, some areas of deep snow and several completely snow-free trails at lower elevations. One never knows what the weather will do, but don't discount April, it's a great month to visit IMO.

As mentioned by swandav, waterproof shoes would certainly come in handy. We didn't have any, and our feet definitely got wet. You can rent snowshoes too, which is a great way to explore some of the groomed trails at higher elevation.

Plan to dress in layers and take a sunhat and sunscreen, as you can burn very easily while walking in the snow.

Be sure to look into closures though, as many hotels in alpine villages close after Easter, and several mountain cable cars shut down for the season or close temporarily for maintenace during slow times.

I have a detailed trip report posted here if you're interested in reading about the hikes we took in April - just click on my name and scroll down to 'April in the Alps'.

Good luck.