hike in the Alps

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Lesley

hike in the Alps

I will be in southwestern Germany next July and can go in any direction to find a hike in the Alps. I would like to hike about 8 hours on a well traveled trail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:22 PM
stirrer

Hi Lesley! <BR> <BR>This not something you need to plan in advance. Every town of any note in Germany has reliable, detailed hiking maps for sale at bookstores or the local tourist office. They cost as a rule around 12 - 14 marks ($6). <BR> <BR>You can simply mix and match trails to get a hike of the desired length/time. And I'm sure the landlord of your Pension or guesthouse will be more than glad to help you with your planning. <BR> <BR>However, to hike the Alps proper you need to be no further west than say Oberstdorf on the border with Austria. Which is not to say that hiking the Black Forest is not great too. <BR> <BR>Happy trails!! <BR>Stirrer

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:42 PM
stirrer

Hi! <BR> <BR>Me again. I should have made clear that the maps available in each town are for that local area. So it doesn't really matter which place you make your base. <BR> <BR>Hiking is a national sport in Germany and there are something like 10,000km of trails in the country. <BR> <BR>I have in front of me the map I bought for hiking the central Harz last June. <BR> <BR>All the trails are categorized, and so marked on the map, as long-distance (_________), point to point (--------) or circular (..........) and every one has a symbol on the map which corresponds to markings on the trail itself. I believe these conventions will be observed on all quality maps. <BR> <BR>This particular map was issued by the Department of Surveying of the State of Lower Saxony at a scale of 1:50000. On the reverse of the map it has a wealth of historical information about the region covered as well as suggested routes and a table explaining all the symbols used in the map. <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR>Stirrer <BR> <BR>It does in fact give me quite a deal of pleasure to sit poring over it in my house here in Australia.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 03:11 AM
Paige

There's a book called "Hiking in the Bavarian Alps" that might help you pick a hike to take. If you can read German, there are many books available in Germany that detail hikes in the area. Where will you be starting from?

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:06 AM
Emily

If I ever win the lottery, I am going to ask to be dropped off in Berchtesgaden at the beginning of the summer and then hike in the Alps all summer long without hitting a city or town!!! <BR> <BR>I would cast my vote for hiking in the area of Berchtesgaden where there is an incredible assortment of very well marked trails. One of the best hikes is the Wimbach trail which takes about 6 hours. It travels behind the Konigsee area, around an old schloss ( small castle) thru a dried river bed and then into the forests. There are 2 stops on this trail where you can get food and of course beer!! <BR>There are English text trail maps readily available in the area. Avoid any trail marked "nur fur Geupte" as this means that the trail is very difficult and may require actual rock climbing. You can also get up to date weather and trail info in the local "Kur Direction". Hope this helps!! <BR>