High-end travel

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 02:39 PM
bob gunderson

High-end travel

For me, the expensive part of travel is the time. I am a partner at a large law firm in silicon valley, and I work about 3500 hours per year. Monetary travel costs are not an issue, but time is VERY scarce. I am willing to pay for the best since I want my vacation time (maybe a week a year) to be rich. Any suggestions on destinations for highend travel (I like scuba diving, fishing, great food, and a good 21-45 singles scene).

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Mike Murphy

You seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

Travel to Europe will burn up 2 full days of the 7 you can spare for vacation. Maybe the Latin America or US-HI forums are more suited to your needs.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Buyer

If you need help spending your money give me call.... I know all the most expensive places.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:58 PM
allwork

What a sad, sad posting. To spend one's life working an average of nearly 10 hours a day (assuming you work all 7 days of the week) for 51 weeks a year! (Or, if you happen to--heaven forbid--take a day off each week, then it would nearly 11 hours a day.)
P.S.: When did you find time to learn how to scuba dive?

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:15 PM
adina

Your best bet is probably a trip with a small high-end cruise company-- on a yacht kind of ship-- maybe Seabourn or Renaissance cruises.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 08:33 PM
nickie

That's a tough one- every place I can think of lacks at least one of the attributes. For good fishing I think of Scotland,for scuba I think Belize, for the singles scene and good food I think of Monaco or Nice (French Riviera). Maybe the previous poster was right - a place like Acapulco might fit the bill, and be so much less travel time lost. Hope you find something great!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 09:10 PM
Michelle

Sorry Bob but you're going to have to take two weeks this year - come on, you don't want to crack up do you?

Week # 1 - The Golden Door (a wonderful spa in California) either a co-ed or male only week. You'll come out feeling GREAT and will have made lots of friends from all over the place. Week #2 (as you have very little time for travel), you take your newly fantastic physique, totally brilliant laid back attitude and all that energy that you've acquired down to Baha for some great fishing, scuba diving and a pretty active social life. I could name the places to go but unfortunately, haven't a clue how to spell them!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 10:10 PM
julie

Dear Bob: One week a year seems like a pretty poor substitute for living a life, but if that is all you have, and you are satisfied that you are being well rewarded, you shouls spend the week doing what you enjoy best. Sounds like you need rest, and I would suggest Cancun, for luxury, good food, nice weather, ease of travel, etc., etc., Let us know what you decide. P.s. My husband and I were once in your position, and we came to the conculsioln that the "game wasn't worth the candle". Now we are retired, not missing the rat race at all, and do and go where we want. More time and a little less money is what I vote for now. Anyway, hope you enjoy what ever you do.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:15 AM
caroline

Hello Bob
If you like fishing, a friend of mine owns a fishing travel agency with the best professionals in France (and maybe in the world ... I am not a fisherwoman, sorry). These are very high quality fishing holidays, in the mountains or at seaside. If your are interested, let me know your adress, so he can send you a brochure. (He has not yet as far as I know a website www.sports-et-nature.com ?)
Have a great time

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 01:28 AM
Michelle

Just had another thought: what about the Aman Resorts. Someone was talking about them on the Asia board a few weeks ago (a search will find thread). From the brochures I received they look exceedingly luxorious. You'd probably get the fishing and scuba, don't know about the social scene though.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 05:03 AM
Diane

Bob: One week is your biggest obstacle so since you're already on the West Coast, I would suggest Hawaii. Seems to fit your criteria and luxury is everywhere! Only what?...5-6 hours to get there? Hope you at least enjoy what you're doing for a living. Money doesn't mean a thing if you can't enjoy it. Hope you find what you're looking for, in ALL areas of your search!

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:49 AM
lisa

Fly to Costa Rica and stay at Lapa Rios, a small ecoresort in the jungle overlooking the ocean, very intimate. On the pricey side but worth every penny, so good value for the money. Great food, fantastic hiking, gorgeous waterfalls, unbelievable open-air thatched-roof bungalows with ocean views. You can do fishing excursions from there, and scuba diving if you take one of their daytrips to a nearby island off the coast (although we didn't do that so I don't know what the visibility is like). You will see more wildlife than you can believe -- 4 kinds of monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws -- very cool. Their staff are all local and are experts, very generous about sharing their knowledge of the environment and culture. It feels like the garden of Eden. However, I would not rate it high as a "singles scene" (that's not what people go there for) but you can't have everything.
www.laparios.com

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:50 AM
s

bob,
I've heard that Biarritz is it.

s

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:00 AM
John

Why re-invent the wheel? Business or first class to Paris, connect to Nice airport. Rent a Jag or a Porsche Boxter for a couple of grand for a week, six nights in Monaco or Cap Ferrat or similar. Drive, dive or sail during the day, see and be seen at night. Sleep on the flight home, you'll need it.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Hmmm

Doesn't anyone else find this post a little strange. Distilled, it reads: "I am a rich, powerful, well-educated, single male from California. My hobbies include..." Sounds like the stereotypical singles ad. Additionally, the question posed is so broad (and pompous) that it sounds as though it is only a pretext. Just a thought.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:25 PM
SharonM

Well, hmmmm...
Hmmmm...you might be absolutely right OR Bob may be exactly who he says he is, and is doing what so many complain of others NOT doing! ie. stating where he is starting from, how much time he has, what his interests and demographics are, and what sort of budget he has to work with...
I may not be one of them, but there ARE people out there who can certainly afford the best, and if that's the case with Bob, all the best!
Guess we'll never know, huh.

(OR, MAYBE, just MAYBE, after his "honeymoon" with Darva to the Caribbean, he's just looking for something a little different! ar, ar, ar...)

ahem...anyway...

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:14 PM
steve

I personally had a blast in Amsterdam.
Biking, sightseeing, riding local trains, take a 1 day trip down the rhine
river (by train), and you can relax in
a "coffeeshop" at the end of your day.
Plenty of museums if you like them.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Ron

Bob

You are transparent, needy and an idiot.You are obviuosly impressed with your life and would like others to be. You do not need a vacation you need help.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 01:44 PM
pam

Bob,
Unfortunately I haven't any specific suggestions for fishing, diving, or singles scenes. Something tells me that the three might be mutually exclusive. What about Alaska or BC for fishing? I hope someone can help you, though most Fodorites seem to be on a slimmer budget than you are.

One option would be for you to transfer to the Austin office; you would be a half hour from a lake with diving, fishing, and bikinis...though you might run into too many clients. (My company is a client of yours.)

Buona fortuna!
Pam

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:32 PM
eauphoria

Bonaire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -