Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New to Fodors! Where to vacation in December/Jan in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am new to fodors and really hoping for some great trip ideas and advice. My husband and I both in our 30's, have started trying to conceive which will be our first child so we are looking to plan unfortunately a "quick" trip due to work schedules. I am a school teacher and will be on holiday break and my husband will be starting a new job after the new year. SO, between trying to conceive and job schedules, timing is not ideal, but we figured we would rather plan a trip and enjoy it rather than not go at all. The time we have available is Dec 27th-Jan4th.

This is where I will REALLY need some help. We have both traveled to London and the southern part of Italy. I have been to Scotland as well. Of course all these visits were done during warmer temperatures which we prefer, but again we have to make the best out of the time we have available. Are there any countries in Europe that are still mild in temperature in December? Or are there any that are MUST SEE during this holiday time? We love the history that Europe has, however we do not like to spend all our time walking around museums. We love the romantic atmosphere, sightseeing during the day, castles, festivals, people watching, soaking in the culture, taking strolls, We fell in love with Italy and I know will be making many visits and still have to explore the northern parts.

Im really just looking for some info and any advice you can all give about traveling to Europe at this time. Which countries may have a more mild climate at this time? Are there any festivals that are a must see? With such a short time to visit, which country should we concentrate on? Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
December is winter everywhere in Europe. It can be mild-ish in some very southern bits but it can be cold /o go to the southern hemisphere. You can have a great holiday in Europe though -- christmas Markets, festivals, city shopping, concerts, etc. But any sort of beach weather - no.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM

PARIS!!!!!

My wife & I spend 2 months vacationing in Europe every year (75% France, 15% Italy). We've been to Paris many, many times - but our most memorable have been 2 trips there around Christmas. Rent an apt so you can go to markets/groceries, buy stuff, and cook at the apt.

Here is an old post from our first trip there...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-was-paris.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM

At that time of year and with the time you have to travel, I would focus on one city (cities work better in winter as there is more to do indoors and days are short). If neither of you has been, Paris or Rome would be my choice. The weataher in Rome is likely to be a bit milder.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Barcelona or Madrid? Anywhere is Spain is likely to be much warmer than the rest of Europe.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM

You hae two options:

Head for the south - southern Spain is very intresting - and the temps will be more moderate (although there is skiing in the mountains - you are likely to get temps in upper 50s.

Of just go for a city - which will have tons to there are weeks worth of things to see/do. And several easy day trips if you want - Versailles, Chartres, etc.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! My husband and I spent some time in Rome last August and loved it. We were in awe of the history and enjoyed our nightly strolls through the streets, delicious meals and of course the wine.

Barcelona or Paris sound like wonderful ideas. Now, how do u choose? What would be some of your ideas for itineraries? We would be able to leave Dec 28th till Jan 4th.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Another vote for Paris as we return for our second trip to Paris at Christmas this year. Paris great at Christmas!

Here's the TR from the first trip a few years ago.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-fantastic.cfm

A thought since you mentioned liking festivals is to spend a day or two in Strasbourg. The Christmas market runs through Dec 31.
http://www.noel.strasbourg.eu/index....ge=1&id_lang=2
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:51 PM

" Now, how do u choose?"

Always a difficult question! The first step is to go to your local library or bookstore and pick up guidebooks for each city. Start by just looking at the pictures, and see which place "speaks" to you. Then, find the key places that YOU want to include on your itinerary. (Folks here can suggest lots of things, but we don't know you and your interests). After you decide the major things you want to see and do, I'm sure the friendly Fodorites here will be happy to suggest the best ways to order and enjoy them. Planning a trip like this is half the fun. Enjoy!
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:24 PM

If you are a bit on the adventurous side, you could go to Morocco. I've never been there, but it is on my list.

Yes, I know it is not in Europe, but it is close to Europe and would have milder weather.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:04 AM

i would like to ask a similar question. Is Malta worth a visit during the same time?
we will be in Rome and wondered if it was mild enough for us to take teenagers for a stroll around the beaches.?
Hoping they would love the food too!
can some advise?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:08 AM

Canary Islands.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM

It won't be THAT warm, even in Malta.

I know, CLM1980 that you say you've been to Scotland, but Edinburgh at Hogmanay can't be beaten. And if you then spent a few days chilling in a nice country hotel with walks and logs fires, what could be better?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Europe is not beach weather in the winter. (Snow is not uncommon in Rome - although not mush and it doesn'y last long. Do realize that Rome and Madrid are on a line with New York - Europe is temperate not at all tropical.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I understand and know its not "beach" weather in Dec/Jan. i was wondering where it would be a little less frigid, however I am open to anywhere in Europe or any other suggestions for a great vaca at this time.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I've been to Rome during & between the Christmas/New Year's holidays and just wanted to chime in. If you are "into" food & wine (whether you consider yourself a "big time" foodie or simply mildly interested in food & wine) I found some of the sought after restaurants closed during the week between between Christmas and New Years. This does not mean all restaurants are closed and you will certainly be able to find good food. Just that if you research and look forward to certain restaurants, they may be closed during that week. It may be the same in Paris, although I was there in 2011 for the week before Christmas and found all the places I wanted to dine in were open.

Also, you may want to consider Lisbon, Portugal. There is a very nice trip report by Fodorite Mr_Go and Ms_Go from their trip to Lisbon this year in the very early part of January and as I recall they had fairly good weather, still chilly, but not numbing, but as I'm sure you are aware, weather one year may not be the same the next. Although I was not there in the winter, Lisbon is a terrific city and very managable to see in a week with a day trip to Sintra and/or Evora. But again, that time of year, you may find many shops/restaurants closed.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your input. Are there any other countries you would all recommend me researching to add to our list of possible trips for Dec/Jan? I had a few people also recommend looking into Prague, Austria, and Budapest and Switzerland. Any comments on these places? Again, I know they will have winter conditions, but I am willing to pack extra layers of clothing and a big heavy coat if I must! haha!
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Rome can be rainy and wet in December. I do remember not so fondly a trip with golf ball size hail. My girlfriend and I looked at each other when that happened and broke out laughing. When the weather finally got better after the first miserable weather 10 days, I predictably got a bad cold.

Your experience may be entirely different, of course.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 02:28 PM

We spent 5 nights in Venice and 8 in Rome over New Year's a couple years ago. Both were great places to be at that time of the year, and temps were very moderate we felt. I'd choose these over Paris. We've spent time in Paris in both Feb. and March and vowed we wouldn't return until we could do it in better weather, The rain and cold were just bone chilling, and I'm from Minnesota.

When my daughter was in college studying in Vienna, she and her boyfriend spent winter break in Europe, hitting many of the typical big cities. I believe Barcelona and Rome were their favorites based on the nicer weather those cities have at that time of year. So, I'd give a vote for Andalucía too because we really enjoyed Sevilla and the surrounding area.

That said, perhaps you want to venture to some place like Vienna or Budapest or Prague or Krakow to experience the holiday season there. I don't know where you are from, but dressing appropriately can make any place tolerable. My other question is how much time you plan to spend just wandering outside and how much time you plan to be in museums and cafes. That makes a difference too as to where to select. Also, remember that the further north you go the less daylight you'll have.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 04:01 PM

If you're going to travel in the winter either go someplace warm like, Mexico or Southern California or south of the equator

OR go somewhere where they embrace winter because going to a place that "is warmer" is silly. Those folks are just waiting for the nice weather again.

Go where they embrace winter like Switzerland where they know what to do when there's snow on the ground. Make special drinks and go skiing or at least take a cool train ride.

Wintery places like; Prague, Budapest and Vienna are beautiful. All easy to get to by train.
Austria is lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -