Hey, read me if you know about Positano!

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:30 PM
jerzgrl

Hey, read me if you know about Positano!

I have researched in books and searched through the message board for postings on accomodations in Positano and have narrowed my options to Villa Rosa or Villa La Tartana for our 3 day stay in May (late May). These are the questions I am humbly requesting your expert advice on:

1. Has anyone stayed at Villa La Tartana? What did you think?

2. I have noted two features consistently commented upon in regards to Villa Rosa: (a) it seems to be located at the top of several thousand stairs and (b) is right next door to La Sirenuese. Exactly how many stairs are we talking here and what exactly is the advantage of being next door to this Sireneuse?

3. How conveinant is VR's location for folks who want to walk to the beach and center of town? How about La Tartana?

4. I read one post that complained about the rooms being noisy at VR because of the hotel's location above the main road in town...anyone care to comment on that?

5. We will be there in late May. Some of the hotels classify this as Low Season. Can anyone comment on how the crowds will be?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:33 PM
jrzgrl

uh, please don't email me directly at the first email address. i didn't realize it would display and didn't want it there. can anyone tell me how to edit my original post?

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:45 PM
oops

You're stuck with it I'm afraid.... Unless you add a lot of swear words to the thread and then most likely Fodors will delete it!

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:38 PM
robin-k

I stayed at Villa Rosa in April-1999. Yes, you do climb a few steps to get up there. As you've read about Positano, then you do understand that it's all about steps? Perched on the side of the Amalfi coast and you will find yourself walking down or up stairs alot. I'd say VR is up about 3 floors up from the "ground level" (street).

It's convenient to center of town. First you'll have to walk down to street level, down road and then, yes, more stairs to explore 'town' or the beach. There are hotels located "lower", closer to beach, but then you're stuck climbing back up to the road. Did I mention that Positano is vertical town? Three days of walking up & down, can be a workout (it's my favorite weight loss tip --- go to Positano for a week).

VR is actually across the street, not next door to Le Sirenuese. And what I liked about that was sitting & having a pre-dinner drink in their lounge. Le Sirenuse is one of Positano's top hotels and overlooks the Mediteranean. Quite lovely view.

I didn't have a problem with noise at VR. Like I said, I was there in late April which has much less traffic than you'd find during high season. I think May's an excellent time to be there.

If you're not firmly committed to Positano, you may also consider Massa Lubrense. I haven't been there, but from reading about it on this site it sounds like a great alternative. Thread I'm referring to is titled 'What's the word on Massa Lubrense'.

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Sue

I think people mention being across the street from Le Sirenuse b/c it is noted for its spectacular views of the mts. and sea. Villa Rosa is even higher than LS, and therefore has,if possible, even "better" view! I liked VR very much, despite the many steps! Every place you go in Positano is good exercise!

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Kay

Local residents have recommend Villa Rosa. I don't know anything about the other one. I have been there in May and September and preferred the weather in May. I did not find crowds a problem either time. Take steps slowly. We noticed that even the locals stop and pause a moment along the way and walk up slowly. I am going for the 3rd time in early May. You are going to love it! Don't miss Ravello and the grounds and view at Villa Cimbrone.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:59 AM
jerzgrl

Thanks to all for your replies.

Robin-K: I checked out the Massa Lubrense post and website per your suggestion - it looks incredible. We just might check it out, though I think we will still spend time in Positano as well.

Thanks again you guys. This disucssion board is an incredible resource!

Mar 13th, 2002, 07:25 AM
robin-k

-

http://www.villalatartana.it/

Jerzgrl, your other hotel choice piqued my interest and so I went looking on its' website. As I previously said I have stayed at VR, also La Fenice (a popular reasonably priced B&B, but it sits on edge of town) --- by looking at the Villa La Tartana's website (URL above), I'd agree with their description of being a good choice if primary focus is the beach. The pictures on their website show they are much closer to the water (as in less steps to walk down) than is Villa Rosa. The tricky part may be your arrival at LaTartana. Appears that you'll have to meander your way down several flights from street find it.

Mar 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
don

What about parking for the Villa Rosa? I'll be there in May, and we'll have a car and luggage. Do we just stop in front and take our luggage in (or somehow get a porter to do it for us)and then try to find a garage, or do we have to find a garage first and then haul our luggage back up to the hotel? Does anyone know if they have any special arrangements with any particular garage or parking lot in Positano?

Mar 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
robin-k

`
Don, I didn't have a car when I was in Positano. Consequently I didn't notice whether or not VR has parking accommadations. I'd email them directly with your question.

Villa Rosa
E-mail: [email protected]
Via C.Colombo, 127 - 84017 Positano (SA) Italy
Tel. +39 089 811 955 Fax +39 089 812 112

Mar 13th, 2002, 10:52 AM
jerzgrl

Apparently Villa La Tartana is owned and run by the son of the owners of Villa Rosa and has just recently opened. It was the editor's pick in the new edition of one of those Charming- Hotels- and- Inns -of -Italy- type books. That, and it's location near the water interested me in the place, and I wanted to see if anyone had stayed there. I'm sure it's a good choice, VR seems to be extremely popular and I have to assume that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree, if ya know what I mean.
We want be able to easily reach the beach as well as explore town on foot.

Mar 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
robin-k

jerzgrl -

If it's the son of VR owners running the Villa La Tartana, then that would be enough assurance for me on quality of La Tartana. Look forward to hearing your report on this place once you return.

FYI--this weekend while flipping thru a guidebook in bookstore on small charming place to stay in Italy, came across a recently opened hotel close to Villa Rosa:

HOTEL CALIFORNIA***
Via Cristoforo Colombo 141, POSITANO - Small boutique hotel, situated in a most privileged panoramic position in Positano, only 5 minutes stroll to the very centre of town and also to the beach. Rooms are comfortable and include, mini bar, telephone, hairdryer and air conditioner.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
kiki

Just booked La Tartana. Couldn't decide between Villa Rosa or La Tartana, but thought that the boats to Amalfi, Capri, etc. leave from there, so it will be convenient for day trips. Will report back when I return.....