Reload this Page >

Here's another "bad Venice restaurant' story

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Steven De Salvo

A friend, a frequent traveler, especially to Venice, discovered at one Venetian restaurant that the pasta she had ordered was severely undercooked.<BR><BR>When she told the waiter about her problem, he rolled his eyes and condescendingly said, "No, no, no. Perhaps because you don't understand, because you are American. But that is the way we Italians eat pasta." She replied: "I know what al dente is. This is not al dente. This is hard macaroni. I'll break my teeth."<BR><BR>After arguing with her some more, he finally yanked the pasta away with a flourish. He later delivered the plate of pasta back to her -- this time, overcooked, of course. A few minutes later, as she poked at the sodden pile on her plate, he drifted by the table, smiling, and asked her if she enjoyed her pasta the way she likes it.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Chuck

Which restaurant?? You would be doing all of us a favor.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Steven De Salvo

I don't know the name of the restaurant, and surely my friend has forgotten it's name. But that shouldn't matter.<BR><BR>It is a well-known fact that most restaurants in Venice are mediocre; in most places, if the service isn't bad, the food surely is.<BR><BR>That said, I can recommend a restaurant where I had an exquisite dining experience: the family-owned La Core Sconta, in the Castello, Calle del Pestrin 3886, between Rio di San Martino and Calle Crosera. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 05:25 AM
xxx

It's a simple and well known fact that many European restaurant owners, chefs, and workers think Americans are a bunch of rubes. Tell them you don't like the way something is prepared or send it back and you can almost guarantee yourself that it will come back worse -just to "show you". I sent back lamb ordered rare that was extremely well done. When they returned with a new one it was frozen in the middle.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Judith

Dear guests !<BR><BR>I am french, I live in Venice and own a restaurant called Ristorante Rib&ograve;. We just opened it last year in March 2001.<BR><BR>It is true that it is difficult to find good quality/price restaurants in Venice as it is a very touristic city. But there are some exceptions ! At least this is the spirit with which I decided to open an Italian/venetian restaurant in Venice. Please come and try us ! And directly tell me what you think about it.<BR><BR>We are located next to Piazzale Roma. Next to the Sofitel hotel - yes away from San MArk's square so you will need to walk ! Nothing new in Venice ! There is a very nice garden in the back where you can have your romantic diner. And I garantee you will have good quality/price. I just need to tell you to try us and hopefully get away this concept that you pay a lot without eating well in italian cities. <BR><BR>There are also other quality places but you just need to find them. In case you need any information please contact me and I will be happy to give you some advice about other restaurants I think are good and typical places.<BR><BR>Regards from Venice to all !<BR><BR>Judith

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Judith

Dear guests !<BR><BR>I am french, I live in Venice and own a restaurant called Ristorante Rib&ograve;. We just opened it last year in March 2001.<BR><BR>It is true that it is difficult to find good quality/price restaurants in Venice as it is a very touristic city. But there are some exceptions ! At least this is the spirit with which I decided to open an Italian/venetian restaurant in Venice. Please come and try us ! And directly tell me what you think about it.<BR><BR>We are located next to Piazzale Roma. Next to the Sofitel hotel - yes away from San MArk's square so you will need to walk ! Nothing new in Venice ! There is a very nice garden in the back where you can have your romantic diner. And I garantee you will have good quality/price. I just need to tell you to try us and hopefully get away this concept that you pay a lot without eating well in italian cities. <BR><BR>There are also other quality places but you just need to find them. In case you need any information please contact me and I will be happy to give you some advice about other restaurants I think are good and typical places.<BR><BR>Regards from Venice to all !<BR><BR>Judith

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:59 AM
watch out

You should be very careful when complaining about your food. I've heard that it "ticks off" the chef and that after they've taken care of your complaint they spit on it for good measure.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Jennifer

Well, this took place in Paris not in Venice. And they were not rude though. My then 10 year old son did not like anything on the menu but there was an entry for "hamburger" so we ordered it for him. We all thought it would be as how we know a hamburger to be in the US. <BR><BR>Yes, it was a hamburger patty but it was on a french roll with an egg over easy on top of the patty. My son was surprised and gave the egg to his dad. <BR><BR>However, the hamburger was not well done so we asked to have them cook it some more. They politely complied and when it came back, there was another egg on top.<BR><BR>Anyhow, it depends on the attitudes of the waiters and chefs-some are very understanding while others can be such, well, let's just say horrible.