Helsinki and Tallinn questions!

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helsinki and Tallinn questions!

Hello all,

Although my holiday is a couple of months away, I can't help myself from trying to check out as much as possible - the excitement grows day by day!

I would be grateful if you could answer these questions about my stay in Helsinki. I'll be staying at the Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri on Albertinkatu in mid August and would like to ask:

a) How safe and easy is to walk from the main train station to my hotel? (I shall be arriving early evening)

b) How long will it take me to walk from my hotel to the Makasiini terminal to get the Lindaline hydrofoil? Would you recommend a taxi instead?

c) Should I book a seat in advance or is it okay to turn up on the day? (if I turn up on the day, how early should I arrive to purchase a ticket?)

d) In Tallinn, long would it take to walk from Linnahall port to the old town?

As you may guess, I'm intent on walking wherever possible!
Thanks in advance,
Sandy
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:11 AM

a) Perfectly safe and easy.

b) Ten minutes? Fifteen minutes? Depends how fast walker you are.

c) It is still central European holidays season, so you should book in advance. Besides, Linda´s boats are quite small. Also if it is weekend many Finns drop down to Tallinn.

d) Again 10-15 minutes, depends on which gate you enter the old town.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM

You can also take tram 3T or 3B from the hotel to the terminal. The tram stop is on Fredrikinkatu, the next street from Albertinkatu.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reassuring responses!
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM

We have walked all around Helsinki and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. Love Helsinki.

From the port in Tallinn there was a path through the park or wooded area to walk to the old town. We didn't know where to go so we took a taxi to the old town and walked back.

This was 10 years ago when Tallinn was doing a lot of renovation in the old town. Things have probably changed a lot since then.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:35 AM

I forgot to mention: If you take the tram ask which one, 3T or 3B. I don´t remember which one runs to the right direction, most likely 3T. Both run the same route but to opposite directions. With the right one you are at the terminal in 10 minutes or so, the wrong one takes you to an hour long loop before it is there.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Tallinn is a gem, one of the most fascinating historical cities I have ever seen. However, a hint for your planning: avoid visiting Tallinn on weekends. Go during the week - Monday to Thursday. From Friday to Sunday countless Finns come to Tallinn to consume as much cheap alcohol as they can pour into their mouths. Those drunk guys are a real annoyance and hassle.