Help with weekend in Burgundy

Apr 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Help with weekend in Burgundy

My husband and I are in the process of planning our trip to Europe in June. We are flying into London June 21 (just for the weekend), taking the train to Paris June 23 and staying there for 5 days. We would like to visit the Burgundy region for the weekend of June 27 - June 29 to do some wine tasting/vineyard tours before heading to Angers where he needs to be for business. Any suggestions for our trip to Burgundy? We were thinking of staying in Dijon since we would be taking the TGV from Paris. I am open for any hotel/chateau recommendations. Would it be worth it to rent a car or make reservations with a private wine tour company? This will be our first time in Europe, so as you can imagine... I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM

Hi and welcome on board
Staying in Dijon is always a good idea especially if you have a train to take.
There is no chateau but you'll find a few nice and expensive hotels like the Sofitel "La Cloche" which a few min walk from the train station and the car rental agencies. Rooms from 175 to 450€
http://www.hotel-lacloche.com/
Further south in Dijon but still right in the center the Best Western Le Chapeau Rouge, near St Benigne church
(from 132 to 222&euroWell known for its restaurant.
http://www.chapeau-rouge.fr/uk/index.htm
You'll find all the hotels in Dijon and around on www.cotedor-tourisme.com
Welcome to Burgundy!
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM

www.myhomeindijon.com

Many Fodorites have raved about their stay in this spiffy flat B&B or whatever you call it in the heart of Dijon

And Coco above owns it and gives personal service that Fodorites rave about - so you get an insider's view of where and what to do

Coco is a frequent contributor to Fodor's about Burgundy and friend to many Fodorites

I hope i got the website right?
Apr 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM

Two wine tour companies I have seen recommended are Burgundy Discovery Wine Tour (www.burgundydiscovery.com) and Max's 5 star private Burgundy Wine (http://www.dijon-rentahome.com/wine-tours.html). I haven't been on either tour, so I can't vouch for them, but we are booked with Burgundy Discovery for our up coming trip. They may only work out of Beaune, I'm not sure. Its a splurge, but we decided to do it because of our limited French and knowledge of French wines.
Apr 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM

I've ridden a bike and drove along the Route des Vins Bourgogne (sp?) a signposted side road that twists amongst the vineyards and by lots of famous wine houses

it's easy enough driving as the distances are not far.

Beaune is i think the commercial wine capital of Burgundy wines and a cutesy town in case you want to stay in a smaller and perhaps more charming (because it's smaller) town than Dijon - but be sure to hop into Dijon at least and take the Owl Trail around town

Dijon, dis donc, gives a Hoot. You can also easily transfer trains in Dijon and get to Beaune by rail in about 20 mins i think
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM

Hi Pal it's been a while! I'm still waiting for you ;-)

I also recommend the owl's trail (2,50€ brochure from the tourist office) and the companies Ninkette mentioned have good comments on tripadvisor.

I'm surprised StuDudley hasn't suggested his favourite hotel near the railway station hôtel du Jura!

Notre Dame church front has been cleaned very recently and the gargoyles look great!>
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ thanks for the recommedation to Coco's place but unfortunately there is no availability. Too bad because it sounded just like what we were looking for. Are there any other hotels that are worth looking into? I would like it to be somewhat romantic since we will be celebrating our 10 yr. ann. The Hostellerie du Chapeau Rouge looks amazing (Coco's recommendation), do they offer any daily wine tours that you are aware of?

Apr 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM

Really sorry I can't accommodate you, why don't you come the week after? ;-)

Seriously I saw this "On request, we can organise guided tours of Burgundy’s vineyards and wine tastings." on the Chapeau Rouge website. You can always ask them but it might be more expensive if they charge a commission for that service.
You may also ask Max for a wine tour and he will collect you at your hotel. He and his wife Béatrice owns apartments as well and if they are not fully booked you can combine both lodging and wine tour.

You can also check Hotel Philippe le Bon and Wilson hotel, they both have very good restaurants.
http://www.hotelphilippelebon.com/
http://www.wilson-hotel.com/index-en.htm
Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi G,

Re your winery tours.

Are you interested in seeing how grapes are harvested and wine is made, or do you want to taste different wines?

If the latter, any good wine bar will do.

I recommend a car for visiting the Burgundy countryside. You could also drive to Angers.

We very much liked our stay at http://www.hotel-grillon.fr/ in Beuane.

There is a very nice resto (Le Verger), next door, as well as in the town center.
See www.restaurant-le-verger.fr/

Enjoy your visit.

Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
a1139a

We stayed here last spring and it was fantastic! There's not much in the town of Nitry itself, but the inn and restaurant were great. Restaurant was packed every night.
http://www.beursaudiere.com/

You might also check on innsoffrance.com

Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM

My family and I are also planning a trip to Dijon this spring (in May), so the hotel suggestions here are much appreciated! We plan to take the TGV from Paris to Dijon. Does anyone have information on car rental companies? Is there one near the train station?
Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM

There are no doubt all major car rentals near the station and probably AVIS in the station

Coco Cherie - Ca Va? J'espere
Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM

nhsherr you'll find Hertz Avis and Europcar (and maybe more)in the main square in front of sthe railway station (near Quick restaurant)

I'm fine Pal
Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day with Cotedor tourisme staff members, checking and rating new self catering accommodations in Flavigny sur Ozerain, Venarey les Laumes and around (6 new homes all together)
Apr 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Coco Cherie

Passe une bonne vacanelle!
Apr 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM

vacanCelles! Bon week end
Apr 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM

We also had a bit of a splurge and went on a one day wine tour last summer with Burgundy on a Plate as we didn't want to have to drive and thought we should go with the experts.
http://www.burgundyonaplate.com.
The highlight was the artisanal father/son winemakers cellar in Cote de Beaune; we felt privileged to be in their cellar and it was great fun and a learning experience as was the rest of the tour. We haven't forgotten our lunch in Volnay - the best coq au vin we have ever tasted! We would like to go to Burgundy again but it is clearly a region where you could easily spend a week or more and still not see everything and so we would recommend not rushing through it. The vineyard landscape is superb.
Apr 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM

<vacanCelles>?

pourquoi tu met the lettre 'c' en Caps?

il doit etre <vacancelles> je pense

fait-attention!

mais qu'est-ce je sait de francaise?
Apr 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM

You're right it is vacancelles (even if we don't say it in French ;-)) but I put a capital C because you ALWAYS forget it!
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Salut Coco,
How did the inspection with the personnel of le tourisme de bourgogne go?
ggg
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Well they found a few bed bugs in Coc's B&B flat and some cockroaches in the drains but besides that it all went well, except for the peeling paint with lead in it of course.

She may get her certification back next year, pending another inspection

bon fin de la semaine Coco cherie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO