Help with wedding in Scotland

Apr 4th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Help with wedding in Scotland

Hi: My daughter has decided that she would like to get married in Scotland in May, 2009. Many questions and I need help. Has anyone done this? According to the research that I have done, the paperwork for a US Citizen is not really hard. This would be a very small family wedding and I guess I just would like to have some information from someone who has actually done this and how they felt about it. Thank you for any information that you might have.
Apr 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Not exactly Scotland, but I'm planning my own Italian Wedding in May 2009. The legalities of marrying abroad are different in each country, but to save the hassle, we are getting legally married here in the states, then having the symbolic wedding/blessing in Italy... your daughter may want to look into something like that... hold a ceremony there, but get "married" stateside before crossing the pond... congratulations and best of luck!
Apr 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM

The easiest and best source for information is to go to google. They have numerous sites offering all the information you'll need. Come back here for specifics.
Apr 5th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Apr 5th, 2008, 04:03 AM

It's a lot easier to get married in Scotland than some other countries in Europe, as there is no residency requirement.
The link that Sheila has given you is definitely the best starting point.
Apr 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM

There are all kinds of venues to choose from, including hotels and castles. For examples check out:

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/...e/weddings.htm

http://www.destinationscotland.com/r...ddingguide.asp

Gretna Green was the place for elopements. See the following:

http://www.destinationscotland.com/romance/gretna.asp
Apr 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information. I have researched this on my own, so I was really hoping to find someone who had actually done this. We are currently trying to decide on a wedding planner to help us. I will keep you updated! Thanks
Apr 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM

We are currently trying to decide on a wedding planner to help us. >>>

Wedding planners are a yank thing. We get our mums or aunties to do it.

There are some rules if you want to get married in a church (varies depending on which foot you kick with). Google is your friend.
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:00 AM

Actually, David, there are a few agencies who do this sort of thing for furriners. It's hard to organise a wedding- even the legalities- a continent away.
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM

That's me told.

Ive been married three times and every one of them has been sorted out by old biddies.

Each to their own and all that.
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:47 AM

hmmmm..... what does that teach us?
Apr 6th, 2008, 04:01 AM

That marrying me is a short but lucrative experience.

I blame the lawyers.
Apr 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM

"That marrying me is a short but lucrative experience."

Where's the queue?
Apr 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM

"I was really hoping to find someone who had actually done this"

I got married in Scotland 3 years ago, but I'm originally from Scotland and my mum still lives there so she took care of a lot of the organisation.

(The most complicated thing was actually the hoops that the French Consulate made us jump through to ensure our marriage was legal in France (my husband is French, though we live in Brussels).)

We got married at Lennoxlove (www.lennoxlove.com) near Haddington, about 20 miles from Edinburgh. Lennoxlove actually took care of a lot of things and were extremely helpful and efficient (they had lists of florists, photographers, organists, etc. that they were used to working with). I think the same is true of many wedding venues in Scotland, so you might find that you don't actually need a planner.

The best resource for information on photographers, florists, caterers, venues, etc. is the Scottish Wedding Directory magazine, which comes out every 6 months if I remember correctly. http://www.scottishweddingdirectory.co.uk/