Help with UK Itinerary - Driving Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forums. I was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to look over my early itinerary and give me some pointers.
My Fiance and I are going to the UK for 2 weeks in late April, Early May. My finace lived in England for 2 years (Mildenhall) while in the service. He's pretty comfortable driving there, so we're going to get a car to have a little more freedom. We'll pick up the car in Cambridge, and have it till the end of our trip. We've both been to London and seen most of the sights there. So, we're going to keep our time there kinda short, and see the 2 things I haven't yet.
Here is my early Itinerary outline. I know this is a short time, so I want to plan our time wisely.

Day 1/Sat - Land at heathrow. Get into London, find Hotel.
Day2/Sun - London sightseeing. Tower of London & British Museum
Day3/Mon - Train to Cambridge. Get car. Tour Combridge. Meet Friends in Newmarket.
Day4/Tues - Tour more of Cambridge. Visit Bury St. Edmunds (Fiance loves this town)
Day5/Wed - Drive Straight to Edinburgh. Walking tour??
Day6/Thurs - Tour Edinburgh. Castle, Royal Mile...Etc.
Day7/Fri - Tour more of Edinburgh....Then head to Inverness
Day8/Sat - From Inverness...Drive to Skye. Eilean Donean Castle. Tour Skye.
Day8/Sun - Tour Highlands - Glencoe area
Day9/Mon - Tour Highlands - Abeerdeen area
Day10/Tues - Leave Scotland. Drive to Costwolds area.
Day11/Wed - Tour Bath and Costwolds
Day12/Thurs - Salisbury all day - Cathedral, Old Sarum, Stonehenge
Day13/Friday - Head back to London. Maybe go to see a show.
Day14/Sat - Early flight out of Heathrow.

I need most of my help with our days in Scotland. I've heard that although Inverness is the main city of the Highlands. There are better places to use as a point to tour the Highlands.
I also need info about Driving time. Right now, I have 2 days just planned for driving. But, I want to know, if maybe I'm over-estimating driving. How long will the below trips take, without stopping. Perhaps the drives won't take as long as I think.
I'm also wondering if seeing Bath and some of the Costwolds is doable in 1 day.

Cambridge to Edinburgh...I want to plan a walking tour in Edinburgh for that night. But am unsure of when we'll get there.
Inverness to Costwolds Area.

Thanks for any help!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM

I think touring Bath and the Cotswolds in ONE day might be a bit unrealistic.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM

Personally, I would return the car before you go to Scotland, take the train up and hire another one when you get there. It is such a long drive, but if you enjoy the driving then that may suit you.

Carolena
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM

Yes, Day 10 is your big problem!
It's either a day in Bath, or a day having a look at some of the Cotswolds (note spelling). No way you should attempt both. Also you'll have had a big driving day the day before (coming down from Scotland to the Cotwolds area). So personally you might be glad of Day 11 being a leg stretch around Bath rather than sitting in a car again touring. Bath is a great place for walking in.
A small point also about your earlier days. When you go to Newmarket you are half way to Bury (my home town by the way) so why not visit Bury on your Newmarket trip (either before or after you see your friends).
If that doesn't work out, I would also recommend going from Cambridge to Bury by train. Quick and easy trip, Bury Railway station isn't far from the town centre, and it's a beggar to park if you take the car.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM

The days in Scotland could be very long as the roads though good are not fast.

ABERDEEN TO COTSWOLDS will be best part of 11 hours driving.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Concentrating just on the Scottish bit, and sounding like a cracked record:-

A straight run from Bury St Edmunds to Edinburgh would be about 6 hours, so you will have plenty time to do what you want in the evening so long as you don't dally.

Read "The Fanatick"

Day6/Thurs - Tour Edinburgh. Castle, Royal Mile...Etc.
Day7/Fri - Tour more of Edinburgh....

Sigh- why are you going to Inverness? I note you've written down nothing about what you want to do there, and that's about right. If you want to go to Skye, go to Skye take in Glencoe en route. It's a a nice route. I spelled it out for someone else yesterday or the day before.

Do Skye on Day 8, then cross to Aberdeen. There's a reason for this? Not that Aberdeen's not a nice town but the rest of your focus is in the west, and you're trying to cram a lot into not much time.

Day10/Tues - Leave Scotland.

It's about 8 hours straight drive to the "top" of the Cotswalds, but if you rejig a wee bit you might be starting from a bit farther south.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:19 AM

We regularly visit Scotland and think that the driving you contemplate is horrendous.
We drive from Cheshire and always stop off on the way up.
For a start, driving for 11 hours will be tiring and tired drivers are dangerous.
I'd take the train or fly to Edinburgh and hire a car there.
You could then slowly drive back down South,
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Sites like www.uk.map24.com/ give you not only driving directions, they'll give you reasonable driving time estimates too. You can customise the settings to suit your average speed. Suggest you set 55mph as an average on motorways; I know the speed limit is 70mph, but I live in the UK and find you rarely average more than 60mph; and given you're a tourist, your average is likely to be slower. Suggest you set an average speed of 35pmh or 40mph on A roads. And then you'll get a better feel for the challenge which awaits you on those long journeys.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM

wrrllw, is Map24 accurate for driving trips in northern Scotland? That is, are its driving times accurate? We plan a driving trip to northwest Scotland for this May. I've been looking at Multimap (www.multimap.com),the AA (www.theaa.com) and the Royal Automobile Club (www.rac.co.uk). These seem to vary widely as to the time to drive a given route.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM

There's no such thing as an accurate drivetime estimate in Britain.

As one of the most highly urbanised societies in human history, with several centuries of building insufficient roads, we have probably the most congested road network in the developed world. Some bits are busy from 0500 to 2200. When congestion builds up varies massively from spot to spot.

The AA and RAC seem to use the same algorithm and neither try to be at all sophisticated about time of day or different levels of congestion: a messy 160 mile journey I often take comes out at 178 mins and 181 mins respectively on the two sites. In the past couple of years, excluding times when traffic has been halted for over 30 mins through major accidents or severe weather, we've taken between 155 mins and 420. Most have taken at least 10% longer than the web estimates, though this is a journey notorious for its delays.

If you really have found a journey where the websites show wide differences in time estimates for the exact same journey - something I've never found in all the years since these sites started BTW - then the likelihood is that most journeys during reasonable conditions (both sites assume better conditions than most journeys actually find) will be between the two estimates.

For most planning purposes, though, assume about 40% of the journeys taken on the route you've plugged in will be at the time indicated or faster. Always give yourself 50% of the indicated time extra, and you'll then find that only about 10% of the journeys on that route will be sunbstantially slower than that 150% of your planning time.

Because of the level of urbanisation in Britain, ir is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL you input the full alphanumeric postcode. A simple "London" to "Manchester" is a complete waste of time, since the journey time could be reduced by 30% or increased by 50% depending where you really start and finish
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for your good suggestions.
We were thinking of getting a car while in the cambride area, turning it back in. And then taking the train to Edinburgh, and getting another car after our days in Edinburgh. But, it does seem that price wise, there isn't much difference. So, we're unsure. The only real reason we would even need a car in the Cambridge/Newmarket area would be to get to our friends home.

I'm not looking foward to the long drive down from Scotland. The day before we might head down to right outside Edinburgh, then from there drive down to the Cotswold area. Hopefully just another 6-7 hour drive?

I wish I could see more of the Cotswold are. But we've realized there is so much in Scotland, that we would need about 6 days there. I'm trying to re-organize these days so that maybe I can see more of The Cotswolds.

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I would definitely train up to Edinburgh. You won't need a car in the city, and it will in fact be a hindrance, trying to find parking with your lodging. Then you can pick up a car at the Edinburgh airport on your way to the highlands. Depending on where you finish up, drop the car there and train back down, or drive leisurely on way, with stops. The train goes much faster than you can drive the same distances, and saves a lot of stress.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I guess my fiance really wants a car in the cambridge/newmarket areas, so he can drive me around his old haunts.
I don't mind the 6-7 hour drives. Being from Ca. and living in LA, I'm use to being on the road a lot.
It was the 11 hour drives that were scaring me (Inverness to Cotswold area). Is there a town outside of Edinburgh that you would recommend staying before heading south?

Side Note: I think the only reason I was interested in going to Aberdeen was to see Dunnottar Castle. Would you recommend driving through there on our way toward Inverness?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM

haydeedoll,

To answer your last point first. Dunnottar Castle is worth seeing, but whilst the drive from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is not bad, Aberdeen to Inverness is not good. It is also a very long way round.

I would suggest that, despite your experiences at home, you take heed of what people have said about the journeys you have mentioned. Driving in UK is, I would suggest, in several ways very different to what you are used to.

You have explained Cambridge and Dunnottar but don't seem to have said why you want to go to Edinburgh, Inverness, Skye and the Cotswolds. In some ways you could hardly have chosen destinations further apart. They seem rather like the 'usual suspects' beloved of tourists.

I'm trying to stop the little voice inside me from saying if you're doing London, Cambridge and Edinburgh why not limit yourselves to the areas between them where you have places like the Yorkshire Dales, North Pennines, Roman Wall, Scottish Borders?

Oh dear. It's said it.

Michael
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello Michael
You're right they are the 'usual suspects'.
In Edinburgh I really want to see - The castle, Old Town, and walk Arthur's Seat. As well as some JK Rowling haunts. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan.
The first part of the Highlands I really wanted to see was Skye. For the views. But, the more I've read, I've realized there is so much I'd like to see in the Highlands. I really want to pass through Glencoe.
I really have no reason for going to Inverness, bisides it being a base point. What would be your recommendation of a better place to stay while touring the Highlands?

My first Itnerary had us in Scotland one day less, so that we could have a whole day of driving around the Cotswolds. But, I've sacrificed that for the extra day in Scotland. I wanted to see the Cotswold for the classic English scenery. And because it's near Bath, where I want to see the Roman Baths. We may just stay in Bath that one night, or stay all 3 nights in Salisbury and drive up to Bath. Is that a long drive?

Salisbury is a must, I've been in love with the area since reading Edward Rutherford's "Sarum".

I know it's such a Short Trip. I wish we had more time to see places like The Lake District, Liverpool. But, we will have to save those for the next trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM

OK a compromise. From Cambridge, fly to ABERDEEN from Luton on Easyjet ( curently about £25 each if booked well ahead). hire a car there and then drive Inverness and on to Skye, this will save you at least a day. Then drive to Edinburgh. Train to Peterbourough (3 1/2 hours on GNER). Hire car tour Cotswolds return car to Heathrow. This will free up at least 2 1/2 days of driving allowing more time to see the locations. Downside is that it may be a bit more expensive - NOT SURE - but you will see all you want to see. After all it is not every day you come to the UK.

These links will help. The car hire one will let you pick up at Aberdeen and drop of at Edinburgh station. Choose pick up as UK AND IT WILL SHOW LOCATIONS

http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER

https://www.easyjet.com/en/book/index.asp

http://www.carrentals.co.uk/car-hire...ort-about.html

INTERESRED TO HEAR HOW IT WORKS OUT
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Normally I would recommend taking the train to Edinburgh but I know from lots of personal experience what a s*d this trip is by train as it nearly always relies on either a 10 minute or 55 minute connection at Peterborough.

My recommendation is that fly Easyjet from Stansted to Edinburgh and return the car in Cambridge or at Stansted.

Oh and try to sit on the left hand side of the plane as that gives the best views of Edinburgh as you approach the airport

Hire another car at Edinburgh airport once you've done your Edinburgh sightseeing in order to tour Scotland then drop it off at Inverness and fly to Bristol with Easyjet and pick up another car for Bath / Cotswolds etc before returning to Heathrow
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions. After looking at it we've realized that the driving was a bit out of hand. We've revamped our itinerary and moved some things around. Even though we will still be spending a lot of time driving, it seems like this new schedule has opened up more time.
We've decided to train up to Edinburgh from London, and not get a car till we head to the Highlands. I've scratched going to Aberdeen and seeing Dunnotar Castle. It really is sort of out of the way.
We've also decided to stay in Fort William instead of Inverness. Here is a new outline of our itinerary

Day1/April28: Land at Heathrow. Get into London, Relax.
Day2/April29: London - Tower, British Museum
Day3/April30: Train to Edinburgh. Stay in a central location. Walking tour.
Day4/May1: Edinburgh. Castle, Royal Mile. Walk Arthur's Seat.
Day5/May2: Pick up Car. Drive to Fort William via Glencoe. Take in Glencoe...Maybe see Stirling Castle, if time. Stay in Ft. William 3 nights.
Day6/May3: Drive up Loch Ness. Urquhart Castle
Day7/May4: Drive to Skye

Day8/May5: Head South - Stop somewhere on the way down to England to spend the night. Unsure of where yet. Recommendations??
Day9/May6: Drive South. End at Friends home in Newmarket.
Day10/May7: Tour Cambride and Bury St. Edmunds.

Below days still in consideration of what to do first...And which routes are best.
Day11/May8: Tour Cotswolds
Day12/May9: Tour Bath
Day13/May10: Tour Salisbury. Cathedral, Old Sarum, Stonehenge.

Thanks for the help guys

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM

haydeedoll,

<i>What would be your recommendation of a better place to stay while touring the Highlands?</i>

Well, your last post perhaps means this is too late but having thought about it I'll still post it.

With what you're doing I don't think you really need a base. The following thought emerged in my mind.

Train Cambridge to Edinburgh, then on your original thoughts:

Fri: Leave Edinburgh in time to drive to Dunnottar. Overnight Stonehaven, Banchory or Ballater.

Sat: Drive from wherever spent night via Aviemore, Newtonmore, Spean Bridge to Eilean Donan. Go on towards/over Skye Bridge for overnight (Kyle, Kyleakin, Broadford).

Sun: Tour Skye, get last ferry Armadale to Mallaig for overnight at Mallaig.

Mon: Fort William, Glencoe to stop perhaps Callander (or nearer Edinburgh).

Tues: Fly Edinburgh to Bristol for car to Bath ...

Other options to consider if you are at Bury St Edmunds would be to fly from Norwich to Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

Michael
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM

haydeedoll, I like your new itinerary much better. I was thinking of suggesting something similar, but didn't know if your friends' availability was flexible.

I would stay somewhere other than Fort Williams itself (Michael has suggested some possible places - we stayed in Spean Bridge, but our favorite place there has changed ownership). Maybe do 2 nights there and spend one on Skye. We did Skye on a drive through one day and it really is not enough time there.

When you go to Salisbury, arrange for the Stone Circle Access to Stonehenge. This is where you visit before or after the public hours and can walk in among the stones. IMO, it wouldn't be worth going to Stonehenge without this opportunity, especially given the importance to you. English Heritage arranges for the reservations. Also, reserve the Tower Tour at Salisbury Cathedral (around 2 hours). Here is a link to my trip report from this summer that includes our visit to Salisbury (and links for the Stonehenge access and Salisbury Cathedral.) We stayed in the Cathedral Close, which was wonderful. http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34870457
If you have time in the area, you might want to check out the large stone circle at Avebury, since you will have a car (it's not far at all, and doesn't have opening and closing hours. Old Sarum does.)

As an aside, your Day 2 (in London) will be packed. The Tower and British Museum are a lot to do in one day. Allow a good 3+ hours for just a basic look at the Tower. You should do some research on the offerings of the British Museum and make a list of what you want to see and seek them out. Otherwise, you could be there forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -