Help with trip to Spain and Bordeaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early stages of trip planning to Spain and hopefully a few days in Bordeaux. I'm struggling with logistics/transportation. We don't mind hiring a car in Spain but would like to take trains is possible. Must dos are: Barcelona, Bilbao/coastal region, and the Rioja region. We would like to head to Bordeaux for even three nights if possible. Not a complete necessary thing as much as an idea of a quick trip to see how much we love it!

We will fly into Barcelona and spend at least three nights there. Should we go straight to Bilbao and see San Sebastián as a day trip or split the two and do a couple of nights in each? I think Bilbao seems more accessible to the Rioja region also. We enjoy walking tours so plan do do that in each city as well as exploring on our own.

As far as wineries, do you recommend just doing day tours from Bilbao to Laguardia and/or Logrono (can't find tilde) and the other beautiful cities or staying in one and traveling around? I like the idea of a driver so that we aren't tasting wines and driving around the countryside. We've done both in Italy and enjoy a guide a little more so what's the best home base for this. I've been reading too may websites and guidebooks and need a lifeline. We can certainly drop off San Sebastián and do it next time if these days are better spent somewhere else.

My last question involves the logistics of getting to Bordeaux. I see there are trains but they look a little less than strait-forward to me. Is it easier to fly? I've read that if we do have a car that we should not take it across the border due to extreme costs.

Thank you all in advance. I have a million notes and hopefully you all can help focus this! It's our first time to Spain!
Each Day
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to click on the orange triangle and ask the moderators to provide a better title...

San Sebastian/Donostia to Bordeaux is easy - metro (Euskotren) to Hendaye, train to Bordeaux. See: https://www.seat61.com/international...an_to_Bordeaux I've done Bayonne (recommend Bayonne) to San Sebastian and it is a very short walk between stations at Hendaye. Euskotren also runs from Bilbao to San Sebastian: https://www.euskotren.eus/en

Three nights is extremely short for Barcelona, that's only two days.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

OK thanks!!

Last edited by EachDay; Feb 12th, 2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Our plan is to fly back out of Barcelona but may change that to Bilbao (We have refundable/transferable tickets). I suppose we can easily add a day in Barcelona on the front end or we'll be there at the end of the trip but that actually seems "out of the way" at this point.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:34 AM

I am most sure our Basque resident will be along in a moment.
I will ask some questions/
Can we have a actual timetable of this visit? I do not see one and time of year may influence answers.
Where are you flying from? and flaying back to? I ask because Bilbao has a limited number of destinations and so flights may not be direct back home.
https://www.aena.es/es/bilbao/aeroli...eropuerto.html
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Rioja is easier from Bilbao, I´d avoid Logrońo and visit Haro and Laguardia, if it´s wine what you´re looking for (Logrońo is kind of big and does not have the appeal of the other two towns). As it takes time to get there on public transport, a driver would be a good option. And Donostia-San Sebastian is an easy one-day plan from Bilbao, as there are many buses linking both cities daily (one hour and fifteen minutes drive, the direct bus).
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there the second and third week of May and flying Madrid from the US and on to Barcelona. Return the same except realizing Bilbao is a much better return location back two Madrid. We enjoy museums and strolling around and usually also do a walking tour for a fun introduction to a city. Love a walking/eating/drinking tour also!

I've reached out a a tour guide out of Bilbao about a Rioja/wineries tour. Definitely will get that booked as soon as I have my head around detailed places/dates!

Do you think it would be worth a couple of days to head up to Bordeaux? We're mainly interested in learning about the wines and the history/scenery.

You all are awesome already!
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and I reached out to the moderators about my title. HAHA!
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 01:56 PM
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by EachDay
Oh, and I reached out to the moderators about my title. HAHA!
Not sure how you contacted the moderators, perhaps a private message to another one of us. However member VANAARLE reached out to us via the orange triangle. I've changed the thread's title.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I just clicked on the orange triangle for the moderator.

I think we've decided to visit Barcelona for a few days, Bilbao for a few days, Bordeaux for a few days and then back to Bilbao.

It's moving every few days but feel like for a first visit we can get a good feel for the areas and where we'd like to return over and over and branch out from there. It's worked in the past.

Thank you all!
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 09:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Can you fly out of Bordeaux instead of backtracking to Bilbao and Madrid?
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Flying out of Bordeaux is a great idea! We actually didn't even think it (not sure why). That gives us an extra day of fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting into vinyards in Rioja is easy compared to doing the same in Bordeaux. Spanish police see tourist driven cars as easy pickings in the area so I'd take a tour which will need to be booked. Many vinyards arrange timed tours and provide tours in English/German/Spanish so coinciding with your languages is important. It is worth mentioning that generally (not all the time, but generally) you will be visiting the cellars, tasting wine and some local snacks rather than the vinyards themselves and the two are not often close together. For instance in Haro the wine cellars are next to the railway station, while the vinyards are spread out across the valley and hills

If you want to go to say 3, 4 or 5th growths in Bordeaux then I'd book a tour say via the Paulliac tourist website. If you are prepared to drop down a level and maybe visit Bergerac or Entre deux mer vinyards (other ACs exist as I'm sure you are aware) you could do it yourself and just rock up. If you want to visit 1st and 2nd growths then you might need a letter/email from your wine supplier and some good contacts in the area.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Such great information to have I see I have a little more homework to do and am ready!

We will hire tours for all the winery days. We've driven in Italy and while it was easy and enjoyable, we just don't want to bother with it this time.

What about the Intercontinental hotel in Bordeaux? Is it ok?

And the Wittmore in Bilbao? Not set on this one but it looks pretty great as far as location?
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 08:04 AM

I live in Bilbao and I´m not aware of any Wittmore hotel in this city...it´s a small city and I would believe that I know all hotels...
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelg
I live in Bilbao and I´m not aware of any Wittmore hotel in this city...it´s a small city and I would believe that I know all hotels...
I apologize. That hotel is in Barcelona.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 03:46 PM

The Intercontinental in Bordeaux is great! I stayed there for 5 nights. Took me a few go rounds to find it! Kept missing the correct turn and didn’t see the hotel! LOL! It is directly across from the Opera House. The Gordon Ramsey restaurant in it is excellent.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 07:08 PM

The Hotel Carlton in Bilbao is very nice! Spent a couple of nights there.

If you stay in Haro, Spain, you can walk to a number of wineries from the center of town.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haro's bars are also special places where you can drink the fantastic local wines by the glass for peanuts while surrounded by the litter of toothpicks
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

You all have the best ideas and comments. Thank you! Trying to change flights now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -