Search

Help with trip to London, Scotland, Ireland in June 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with trip to London, Scotland, Ireland in June 2012

Hello Fodorites,
My wife and I (architect and designer respectively) are putting some finishing touches on our upcoming trip to the UK (and Ireland - depending on your point of view) in June 2012. We have learned to slow down a little, so we are only planning Edinburgh (3 nights), Glasgow (3 nights), Dublin (4 nights), and London (4 nights) over the course of two weeks or so.

Unfortunately, due to airline frequent flier programs, we arrive from the US at 21:55 on June 2nd into Heathrow - so no overnight train to Edinburgh. We are planning to train into London and stay near King's Cross station overnight and then train to Edinburgh the next morning. We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much. We have resigned ourselves to the cost of traveling into the city and staying overnight by accepting that the train ride will offer some view of the English and Scottish countryside along the way.

A few questions remain that would help us with final preparations.
1) Is there a simpler or better way to travel to Edinburgh given our time of arrival on a Saturday night?
2) We are considering a day tour out of Dublin to Wicklow area - any recommendations here or others?
3) We are planning a day trip to Stonehenge out of London. Any recommendations here?
4) Pubs, restaurants, places of special interest in any of these cities are also welcome.

Your advice is always great food for thought, so any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Hey there, i think that is the best option to get to Edinburgh. I mean you could always fly with easyjet or ryanair cheaply but the train journey is actually very nice. Is there a particular reason you want to visit Glasgow? i would be tempted to just have two nights there, its only an hour from central Edinburgh to central glasgow so you could go in the morning and have two full days there only needing to spend 2 nights?

I mean it is nice but i think you might be better adding another day to one of the other locations instead....just a thought
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:32 AM

I agree, I would add the extra time to London as its such a big city with so much to see.

As for pubs, there are tonnes - where are you staying in London and we can try to help you out. I will dig up a good pub thread as well and post it for you. You may also want to check out some of the pub walks organised through London Walks, they are great fun and take you to some cool pubs: www.walks.com (I also highly recommend their Salisbury/Stonehenge tour if it's on when you are here)

In Dublin we really enjoyed Johnny Foxes pub, its a bit out of town, but we took a short taxi ride. http://www.jfp.ie/ and enjoyed the atmosphere and food.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM

And the pub thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-london.cfm
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>We have considered staying to view the Queen's Diamond Jubilee festivities but decided that the crowds, bank holiday, and other closings, etc. will just be too much</i>"

I think you are overestimating the effect of the jubilee. If you are interested in the flotilla up the Thames and such, it would be a shame to miss the festivities IMO.

I'd plan your trip w/ London at the front end, then Glasgow/Edinburgh and then Dublin. But that's just me . . .

Have you been to London before? You are cutting your time there very short, especially w/ an out-of-town day trip.

What I'd REALLY do is London 7 nights, Glasgow 3 nights, Edinburgh 4 nights w/ a day trip to somewhere like St Andrews or Stirling.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Good advice here. I would second the recommendation on the walks in London and trying to allocate more time to London.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM

I, OTOH, think you've got it about right; subject to understanding why 3 nights in Glasgow. If it's City of Architecture and Design stuff, it's entirely sensible. If it's a just to get a taste then, on a trip like this, maybe too long?

I don't think you can get up the road immediately after your arrival. So, short of a ghastly early rise and flight with an overnight at an airport hotel, I think you're doing the right thing. YOU COULD hire a car and rive; but I seriously wouldn't recommend it after an Atlantic flight.

I have a document with Edinburgh and another with Glasgow stuff in. Email me if you want them.

If you are doing architectury stuff can I suggest you get something on Playfair's design of the New Town.

This series of guides is super. When I'm on a particularly nerdy journey, I sometimes use them rather than travel guides.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edinburgh-Il...8519713&sr=1-1
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:17 AM

PS, they are sponsored by the RIAS (Royal Institution of Architects in Scotland)
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much...we'll look into the walks and other recommendations. Please keep them coming.

As for London, we've discussed staying longer, but feel that we will get back to London easier than the others, therefore we were splitting the time somewhat equally. As an architect, I will be interested in the Mackintosh works in Glasgow, but if we can do that more quickly, please advise. With Glasgow and Edinburgh so close, would you base in one or the other and just handle the other with a day trip?

No offense, but if we reduce Scotland to only 3 or 4 nights, should we see more of Ireland rather than extend the London time? Thanx.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Have a look at the Lighthouse Centre

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/TheLighthouse/

Macintosh is not the only thing to see in Glasgow, you know.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And you'll most definitely want to get up to Hill House. I would not cut Scotland back -- since even an additional day or two won't let you 'see' Ireland.

I'd not do either Edinburgh or Glasgow as a day trip from the other. They are only a short train ride apart, but for Architecture/history buffs there is just too much to see to manage in a day trip.

Me --I'd stick to London (over the Jubilee), Edinburgh and Glasgow and have enough time to enjoy each. If you REALLY want to see Dublin, maybe 2 days there.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sheila...we'll be sure to check out the Lighthouse.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Okay, another weekend and a little time to concentrate on our trip. Thank you all for the previous information - it's all good advice and has made us rethink some things. After talking with friends, relatives, and reviewing some of the sites from posts above, I'd like to ask for further advice.

If we decide to shorten Edinburgh, Glasgow, and/or Dublin to add some time in London, we are also contemplating some day trips. Others have suggested Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, etc.

Thoughts on 1/2 day to full day trips out of London and some good tour operators would be most appreciated. Thanx.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM

In Edinburgh I really enjoyed the afternoon on the Royal Britannia (at the port in Leith). Definately worth a visit. If Holyrood House is open that would be next on my list. I was a bit diappointed at Edinburgh Castle now that I've been to Alnwick.