Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with transportation information (CDG to 19th and LHR to Streatham Hill)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:58 PM
les

I'm leaving next week for a much anticipated holiday to Europe. Looking for advice on the most economical & practical transportation for 3 adults with luggage between CDG and 19th in Paris. Also transportation from LHR to Streatham Hill. Are there any airport van/shuttle services that you tried and would recommend?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:33 AM
mem

The one I used last week was <BR>http://www.Paris-Airport-Shuttle.com <BR>Cost $22 for one person one way, charged to your credit card before you go, worked fine. When you make a reservation over the internet, they will send you an email confirmation with the toll free number to call when you arrive. When you call it, they will tell you what door on the upper level to go to and wait for them. <BR> <BR>If you want to take a taxi, find the taxi stand and get in line. There are people at the head of the line who will direct you to a taxi when your turn comes. You would need to change money to do this; they would not take dollars, only francs.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Ben Haines

From at London Heathrow tuibe station you can buy a tocket to Streatham Hill. If you arrive early, and plan to see something else in London that afternoon or evening, you should buy a day London travelcard to include Streatham Hill. Then Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, cross the platform, Hammersmith to Victoria, go up to the station, and a train to Streatham Hill: they run at least every half hour. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to south London. And please do look around at local restaurants in Streatham. Not cordon bleu, but good value. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 11:04 PM
les

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into the Paris Airport Shuttle. <BR> <BR>Another question for Ben. It seems the route that you suggest involves a lot of changes in trains. We will be arriving at LHR with luggage and will be staying in the area of Streatham Hill while we visit London. Is there a reasonably priced transport service that would work for this route (just so we wouldn't need to haul all of our luggage on/off the metro/train)?

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Jim Rosenberg

For three people from CDG to the 19th, a cab would work out to be considerably less expensive than $22 per person. IMHO. If you can get your group and luggage into a cab, then that is the way I would go. The KLM shuttle would also be considerably less (at about 90FF per person) and it will drop you off directly at your hotel. You can get info at the KLM counter. Happy Trails!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Les

Thanks Jim for suggesting KLM. Do they have a web site to make arrangements in advance or is it okay to make transportation arrangements when we arrive at their desk? Also where in CDG is the KLM desk located? <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Ben Haines

For Les: <BR> <BR>Sorry for a slow answer. <BR> <BR>I don't think crossing a platform at Hamnmersmith really counts as a change, so you've the one real change, at Victoria. <BR> <BR>Otherwiuse, I think you'll need to share a hire car, as others have said. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 10:38 PM
les

Ben, Thanks for the information. I would have hoped to have used your suggestions on my visit to London, but sorry to say that I have cancelled my vacation plans due to the recent tragic events. Hopefully I will be able to visit soon.