Reload this Page >

help with tipping please

Search

help with tipping please

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Lois

help with tipping please

Need some of your invaluable assistance. I am a first time overseas traveler, and out of my depth regarding tipping people besides wait staff. I plan on using my concierge as much as possible, but have no idea whether to tip per deed done or at the end or beginning of my stay. Any and all help welcome.

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:32 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>People handle this differently. I tip the concierge(s) at the end of my stay, making sure that they will be on duty on the day I am leaving, or the day before. Ask about their schedules.<BR>for tipping suggestions<BR>you can search on Concierge on this message board. <BR>Or try these<BR>http://conciergeassoc.org/concierg/concierg.htm<BR>http://www.oxygen.com/pureoxygen/fea..._20010910.html <BR>(convert the tips from dollars to the currency of the place you're going to)<BR>www.fodors.com (home page, click on tipping guides)

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:56 AM
kate

Can you tell us where you're giving? Each country has different customs as regards tipping.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Lois

Thanks Elaine. If not too personal, do you tip a percentage or do you usually have a set fee? Italy, Kate. In particular, Rome and Florence.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Beth

Make sure you know when eating if the tip is included or not. In Paris 15% is already included. The gentleman next to me on the return flight mentioned how expensive things were in Paris, and only when I mentioned the above, did he realize he had been adding his own full 15% tip to the bill. I felt so sorry for him. Research pays off.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Dee`

I never understood how you were supposed to tip the concierge...do you give him an envelope at the endof the day...and how much do you give (in dollars)...or at the end of the trip?<BR><BR>I've asked numerous people these questions, and no one knew how the best way to handle was, without insulting anyone...

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:48 PM
ttt

up

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:50 AM
elaine

Dee<BR>If you look at the websites I mentioned above, there are suggestions for how to handle tips to the concierge<BR>As I said, I tip them at the end of my stay.