Help with seats on Cattle car

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Nancy

Help with seats on Cattle car

Yes, I am thrilled that I am traveling overseas...but my worse nightmare has come true and it's on a Boeing 747-200..major cattle car. It has a 3/5/3 seat configuration. My last trip on this plane, I had the two seats next to the window, and a sleepy nasty guy who grumped everytime we wanted to get uP, which wasn't often (too afraid to ask him to let us by) My travel agent suggests taking the three seats, window and aisle, hoping of course (not) that the middle will remain empty. Flight is to Milan. I prefer sitting near the back of the plane, more room to move around..any thoughts?? ps, I'd post this in the airline forum..but this is my home and that forum is not frequented very much

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Judy

Hi Nancy, I have been thinking about this problem too. We are going on a 777 with a 3/4/3 configuration on our trip to Edinburgh this summer. I asked for 2 aisle seats right across from each other. We have done this before and it works out ok. I was thinking about doing the window-aisle thing, hoping desparately that they won't assign that seats. but who knows, right? One could get____(fill in blanks) and that could be a mess..... At least with the 2 aisle seats. we both can get up easily to use the bathroom.
Any way you look at it, coach flying is not a pleasant experience. IMO, Judy

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:02 AM
s.fowler

On most flights the 2 seat side fills up first.

Taking the chance on aisle ____ window isn't that big really. The person in the middle will [if he/she has any brains] prefer the window seat and be willing to change.

Our *trick* when we are travelling together as a two-some is to request aisles across from each other. Less romantic, but you both have an aisle seat!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Lori

My husband and I have started requesting aisle seats across from each other and it has worked out fine. However, the problems with being on the aisle are 1. the people next to you want to get up when you're sleeping and 2. rude people walking in the aisle who feel they must grab onto the back of your seat to help them walk, and 3. those people who stand by your seat to talk with the people behind, in front, and next to you and feel they must hang onto your seat back in order to do so. We have started asking for the bulkhead and take that if it is available, more leg room.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Judy

Hi Sally, I got a big chuckle about the comment you made about the middle seat. I have to tell you a funny story: we did that window___aisle seat thing, me/window, with my husband on the aisle(naturally) on our leg from Paris to Rome. The plane was being held for some stragglers(I thought we had lucked out, no way). On walks 4 lovely, young 20 something women, who took the 3 seats across the aisle from us. The fourth young lady looked at our middle seat,,,looked at her companions, and very sweetly asked my husband if he would trade his AISLE seat so she could be next to her friends......he DID, of course, besotted fool that he was. I felt no pity for him when he landed and complained about being sore and cramped. Served him right, I say...
Meanie that I am, Judy ;-)

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Richard

Geez, what airline are you guys flying. It's been awhile since I flew a 747 but I remember it having 2/5/2 seating, much like the DC10 and MD11. The 767 and 777 I've flown on have 2/3/2 seating. How do they cram in those extra seats? Most of my flights are on American.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Judy

Hi Richard In the past year I have flown across the pond on A 3/3/3, AF 3/3/3, Delta 3/3/3,,,, Seems like American has the better seat configurations, but I am in Delta country and I almost always have to go Delta. Judy

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Patrick

Yes, American tends to have the most spacious and best seating arrangements on international flights (and on domestic ones too, these days -- my knees didn't even hit the seat in front of me on my last San Francisco to Miami trip). But I think some of you miss the point about taking the aisle and window seats hoping for the middle one to remain empty. Other than the incident of the pretty girl turning the head of a husband, it is hard to imagine that anyone who has been given that middle seat would not gladly exchange it for either the aisle or window seat that the two of you have so you can be together. And of course, by booking the aisle and window seats of a 3 seat group, you are more likely to avoid having a third person than if you left the aisle or the window seat untaken.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Mary

My husband and I always ask for aisle seats across from each other. You can still talk, but it feels less cramped than being "trapped" in the other two seats. However, there is nothing wrong with the bulk head, where you can stretch your legs.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Richard

Well, I guess I won't complain about American anymore. I think I have another plus in that I'm a 'Gold' FF, so that the adjacent seat is blocked.