Help with Scotland Itinerary

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Scotland Itinerary

Some background info first: We are a party of 7 (late twenties/early thirties), traveling to Scotland for the first time.

We will train into Edinburgh for 2 nights (accommodation booked) and then rent two cars. The first night has been booked at Kilvarock Castle where we plan on visiting Culloden, etc.

We have 3 more nights in the Highlands before we have to train back to London. We were thinking of spending one night on Skye, one around Glencoe and one around Stirling. I would like to know if this is too much driving and also recommendations for B&Bs in those areas. Budget for accommodation would be around 25-25 pounds per person.

Any help/advice/reccos would be greatly appreciated...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add the dates... Train to Edinburgh on 23rd May. Train back to London on 29th May. Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I only have time for a couple of quick comments right now - but will try to get back to it tomorrow.

You could get to that many place sin that short a time -- but I personally wouldn't. The driving is slow. Plus, w/ a large group like yours just about everything will take longer. Meals, checking in, checking out, petrol stops, rest breaks, shopping, hikes - just everything.

Since you can't cover half of a pretty large country in three days - don't push it. Stay 2 or 3 days in one place and use it a base to see things w/i 30 or 40+ miles.

Where that base is -- could be anywhere. The Trossachs, near Loch Tay, along the Dee, in/near Glencoe -- the choices are almost litless.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response Janisj. I was thinking the same thing. So perhaps two nights somewhere near the Glencoe area or maybe the Trossachs and the last night near Stirling maybe Callander?

Any B&B recommendations in these areas?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM

We haven't stayed there yet, but Craigbuie in Killin seems really nice! We are staying there in July, and the hosts have been great with their email correspondence - not only nice but funny as well. They are a retired couple. Killin is near Stirling, the website is www.craigbuie.com, I believe.

There is a LOT to do in that area. Killin is right on the tip of Loch Tay, and Lochs Katrine and Lomond are within a decent distance. Stirling is nearby, as is Ben Lomond, depending on if you like history or mountain climbing
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website, GreenDragon. The guest house seems lovely. I hadn't considered Killin as an area to base ourselves. I think it would work just great. We're not too much into history, more into outdoor stuff, nature, scenery.

I've emailed the property and hope they are available... If we do stay there, I'll report when we're back!