Reload this Page >

Help with Santorini Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Anita

I have two choices - Katikies in Oia or Dana Villas in Fira. Would appreciate any comments.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:31 PM
soph

katikes is phenominal!!! definetly go there- luxurious & great view.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:33 PM
mary

dont stay in Fira- Ia is nicer by far!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
garynfla

Anita have you used the search feature here on these posts. I founds lot's of posts by typing in the name of the hotel.As you know I am staying at Dana villas and after spending countless hours researching I got the feeling that Katikes was a notch nicer than Dana Villas. Understanding I have never been to either place. I want to spend more time in the Fira area and decided on Dana Villas so I could walk back and forth to town..Most of the roads to Oia are way up,winding, narrow, and a bit of a challenge from what I have read.After all there is a slight possibilty that I may have a shot of ouzo or two..LOL When I e-mailed Dana villas the two replies I rec'd from them were so warm and friendly and knew mt booking agent personally and clinched it for me.Were you able to see their site?? www.danavillas.gr <BR>Best of luck...

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:18 PM
garynfla

P.S. Anita, Dana villas is about a 10 minite walk outside of the Fira..Next door to Sun Rocks..

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:39 PM
garynfla

message i found tonight....<BR><BR>Hotels: I stayed at Katikies in Oia.<BR>fax: 30 286 71129 for more information <BR>This hotel is best suited for a romantic get away. There are only rooms with a queen size bed, so if you choose to stay here, make sure you don't mind sleeping in the same bed as your travel partner. The hotel does have a great location and a wonderful swimming pool which is balanced on the lip of the Caldera. The views are spectacular and just hanging out in the pool is amazing. Be sure to get to the poolside early as the lounges fill up quickly. The rooms are large and gorgeous. Very traditional buildings with a most unusual shower cut out of the wall. Each room has a private terrace, telephone, air conditioning and mini bar.<BR><BR>For more information on Santorini and the other Greek Islands, check out the Lonely Planet Greek Islands book.<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Anita

Soph, Mary & Gary,<BR><BR>Thanks for your replies. I'm still at a loss. On the one hand, I love luxury and Katities is definitely luxurious; on the other hand I am traveling alone and would like to be closer to town - and like Gary said - who knows I might drink a little ouzo. Right now I am leaning towards Dana Villas because it is so close to town. What a dilema!!<BR><BR>Gary, I did try a search, however the screen just brought me to rants & raves.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM
garynfla

Author: JW ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/12/2000, 10:33 am<BR>Message: Hello! Has anyone stayed here, or heard things about it?<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: mikki ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/13/2000, 07:31 am<BR>Message: Hi, I haven't stayed there but can reccomend Atlantis Villas in Ia and Vedema in Megalahori. Email me if you want add'l info.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Steven Bird ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/13/2000, 03:49 pm<BR>Message: We stayed at Fanari Villas in Oia...fantastic as is Esperas uderneath us. Katikies also looked great. Oia is the place to stay. <BR><BR>E-mail me if you have questions<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Robin ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/13/2000, 04:21 pm<BR>Message: Yes, we stayed there in Sept. 1998, and loved it! Many units have front terraces looking out over the caldera, and there is a little store right next door on the main road which sells basic necessities so you can have breakfast, wine, etc. outside. The rooms are simple, but charming, and the "infinity" pool (the reason we went there after seeing an article from 1998 in National Geographiic Traveler!) is beautiful. Highly recommended.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: JW ([email protected])<BR>Date: 10/13/2000, 04:47 pm<BR>Message: Thanks everyone! Turns out, after contacting the manager at Katikies...none of the rooms/balconies have sunset views (I'm glad I asked!), which was odd. Did those of you who stayed there, find this to be true?! <BR><BR>Steven: We are considering Esperas as well, but haven't been able to find any solid reviews on the place. From what you saw, how would guess the view is from its rooms/balconies?<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Anita

Soph,Mary,<BR><BR>Duh!! I just realized that Dana Villas does not have a restaurant. Are people supposed to cook on vacation?<BR><BR>Is it easy to get a cab at night to go to Fira? I wouldn't even think about renting a car. <BR><BR>Thanks

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:01 PM
garynfla

My suite at Dana Villas includes buffet breakfast dail or breakfast served on our terrace overlooking the sea. I believe they have a restaraunt but I am not positive..

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Anita

Robin,<BR><BR>Didn't the hotel have breakfast? How simple were the rooms - from what I understand Katikies is supposed to be a luxury hotel? <BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:04 PM
garynfla

Anita, I pasted Robins post from the search tools..She wrote that in 2000..<BR

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Anita

Gary,<BR><BR>I would only be getting a studio - maybe your getting breakfast because you will be in a suite . I'll have to e-mail the hotel and ask about a restaurant

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:06 PM
garynfla

Please let me know..nothing I can change now..I am all paid up..

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Anita

Gary,<BR><BR>I just e-mailed them. Is their address [email protected]? I hope so. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Anita

Gary,<BR><BR>It was the wrong address so I just went to their reservation site and e-mailed them from there. When I find out I'll let you know.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Marian Lee

Soph,<BR><BR>Do you happen do have Katikies web address? I can't find it anywhere.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Anita

Soph,<BR><BR>The web address for Katikies is:<BR>www.katikies.com.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:10 PM
soph

It is not necessary to stay in Fira- there is soo much hype about it & it really wasnt worht it- too noisy & crowded. Ia is quieter & prettier & better shops. Katikies is perched right on the cliff w/ a view of the caldera. To see Ia's famous sunset is like a less than 5min walk from Katikies & if u see the sunset once thats all you'll need(again too much hype) Katikies is a luxurious getaway w/an amazing pool. Fira is easily accessible by bus/cab. You really wont want to spend every night in Fira.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:22 PM
soph

another bit of advice -Do not do more than 3 night in Santorini- you will get tired of it. It is a beautiful island & very different from the others but how much can you look at the same Caldera day after day. My opinion 3 nights is perfect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -