Help with Prague accomodations.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help with hotels in Prague. My hubby and I will be there at the end of May for a few days, and I am a bit overwhelmed trying to pick a hotel. I'm not sure where exactly, i.e which neighborhood, to stay. We would like to be walking distance of major attractions in a smallish, non-chain hotel with character. Price: we would prefer to stay under 200Euros/night. If anyone has any suggestions, or has stayed at either Hotel U Zlate studny (Old town), Residence Retezova (old town), or any of the Botels, please let me know...Thanks for the help
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm posting this again, in hopes that someone new might see it.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I've stayed at the " Bishops House" but I can't remember the translation. It's a great location next to the bridge to get you to either side. The movie "Amadeus" was filmed right around it. Also, you may wish to check out the restaurants owned by the Kampa group. In fact, Kampa Park restaurant is very close to the hotel. If you haven't been to Prague, you are in for a treat.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM

check out the Cloister Inn if you haven't already. We enjoyed our stay there. Very convenient to Old Prague

http://www.cloister-inn.com/

Aloha!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM

We stayed at the Cloister Inn which is definitely convenient to the old town. It did take us a few tries to get our routes established so we could find the place when walking home! Our double room was pretty spartan, my husband especially was feeling the convent vibe. Our teenaged daughters had a twin room across the hall that was huge and more comfortable (had a sofa, etc.)

We all preferred the location of our lodgings the previous visit, in the Mala Strana section. It was less touristy and we loved crossing the Charles Bridge regularly. It was super convenient to the castle, and my older daughter and I took an extra early morning camera walk up to the castle. It was cool to get pictures of the Golden Lane with nobody there.

The hotel we used in Mala Strana was the Waldstein. We had a very large family suite type room, that had twin beds in a separate little alcove room and sort of a kitchenette. We didn't see any of their doubles.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We were very comfortable last year at the Maximilian - http://www.maximilianhotel.com/ - two blocks from the Spanish Synagogue and five min. walk from the main square. Close enough to the action, but in a very quiet setting, with lots of good shops, bars, cafes close by. I think it's well under &euro;200 per night, probably closer to &euro;150. Good value (and a <i>great</i> buffet breakfast BTW.)
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I had actually looked at the Cloister Inn, but my husband was concerned because there was no exterior picture (other than the front door) on their website. Hawaiiantraveler or Noe847, do you recall what the exterior looks like?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM

The Cloister Inn is quite an extensive set of connected buildings. Some old, some newer. The entrance is in a new-ish part. Our rooms were a pretty long walk down lots of hallways. So, the outside isn't that representative of the whole experience. We liked the hotel and the breakfast buffet was pretty good. The street is nice and quiet, and you can walk along the river to the bridge, or along interior streets to the old town square. There are interesting buildings right in the neighborhood.

Here is a link to some pictures I took that show the Cloister Inn:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...d=8DZsmzZuza7w
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the pictures, Nancy. I have sent a request to their reservations dept. Waiting to hear back, although I imagine it will be tomorrrow. It looks a bit generic, though. As we are going for our 10th anniv., I was kind of hoping to find something with a bit more character.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I am not sure of the price now but several years ago we stayed in Pension Dientzenhoffer in the Mala Strana area not far from Kampa Park (on a lovely little cobble stone lane) convenient to the park and Charles Bridge. We had a family suite (two rooms and a large bath with large hallway). The place is so lovely and quaint, had a great breakfast, and attentive staff. They arranged pick up from the airport and car service to the train station on our departure. I highly recommend this place.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM

We loved the Maxmilian Hotel. It is a great central location and a wonderful little hotel. I recommended it to a friend who visited Prague last year and he loved it as well. Susan
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM

We stayed at the Cloister Inn and it is fine, but doesn't have much atmosphere. Sterile, seminary-like room (my imagined seminary that is), but a fair price and a good location! The breakfast is very hearty...lots of choices.We also have stayed at Hotel Kampa Garden and I like it better. It is in Mala Strana and we had a room over the parking lot looking out at the park. Lots of ducks, birds, etc. The room was quite attractive and the breakfast was excellent. It was a nice place for morning walks up to the castle and of course over the Bridge. It is part of the international Best Westerns (not like our generic ones here- they are all independent inns who have banded together under Best Western.) Check out their website. I have recommended it before, but don't remember any feedback. I would go back to either place again, but would stay in Mala Strana there if given a choice.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't say the Cloister Inn is 10th anniversary material, amydelta. It's pretty spartan.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM

http://www.alchymisthotel.com/index....p;page=history

Gorgeous hotel.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Hijacking this thread, we will be staying at hotel maxmillian in 2 weeks, so glad to hear all the positive comments!
ps check out luxurylink.com that is how I got the package for hotel maxmillian.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Hi amydelta, Hotel Roma just opposite Petrin Hills Funicular railway was the perfect location for us 2 weeks ago.

It's in Mala strana, which is a nice location and a short walk to most areas.

You are right, Prague Hotels are overwhelming in quantity so I had to go by recomendation on this board and I am glad that I did.

Have a look at http://www.venere.com/
They manage to achieve good prices at most hotels in Prague.

One note regarding the Boatel Albatross, there is a lot of roadworks taking place on the bridge along side it, not sure of how long they will be there but it looked serious long term work to me, I would avoid that one if I were you .

Good Luck

Muck
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Trust me, I am familiar with Prague, you want to stay at The Bishop's House (Biskupsky Dum) It is the right price and definately the location you want if you plan to walk everywhere.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Another vote for the Hotel Kampa Gardens. The location on Kampa Island is ideal. It is an easy walk to all of the attractions yet quiet in a pretty setting. The price is right too - well under your limit. Some of the Old Town location can be pretty noisy at night,so check carefully. I would stay away from the Botels if only for their inconvenient locations. If you look at the numerous Prague threads, you will find lots of ideas and suggestions.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:40 AM
MaureenB

For what it's worth, here are my notes from our visit to Prague.

A personal aside-- I wouldn't choose the business district, or Wenceslas Square (we didn't think that area was especially charming). You will be able to walk all over Prague and it's so much nicer to be in a central location from which you can easily come and go -- like in old town or Mala Strana, near the Charles Bridge. Although it will be crowded with tourists there, too, that's half the fun. If you stay by the castle, it's a an uphill climb to your hotel each evening, if that matters.

We stayed in a pension in Prague, called the U Lilie, that I wouldn't highly recommend simply because it's slightly shabby-- but it is clean, with a cold breakfast buffet included, and a bargain for a family 'suite'-- also a wonderful location right near the Bridge. It certainly has 'local flavor.'

One pension people here like is the Dientzenhofer. You might check it out, http://www.dientzenhofer.cz/ I know they have family rooms and were only slightly more expensive than the U Lilie.

I did collect brochures from three unique hotels I wanted to remember in case we returned: The Hotel Neruda, the Hotel U krale Karla, and the Grand Hotel Bohemia.

The Neruda is on the hill going up to Prague Castle. It has a nice cafe on its rooftop, for views of the city below. Its brochure calls it four-star, an historical building reconstructed. Lobby had a nice, contemporary feel, clean and well-done. Rack rate is 220 EUR in high season for a double. It's website is www.hotelneruda.cz

The U krale Karla is in a gothic building, rebuilt in 1639, renovated in 1993. It had more an old Prague feeling to it, old elegance. In Lesser Town, also near the Castle, only 16 double rooms and 3 suites, high season rates for double room deluxe is 6900CZK. Website: www.romantichotels.cz

The Grand Hotel Bohemia is a five-star, in Old Town next to the Powder Tower (also a good location), 78 rooms and suites. It's a classic, old, elegant-looking place that looked charming, too. (No rate sheet in their brochure.) Website: www.grandhotelbohemia.cz

Also, try the Living in Prague website-- http://www.livingprague.com/hotel.htm

Prague is wonderful. Have fun.
&gt;-

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM

I got married last year in prague and recommend only staying in the Old town. Great base esp lovely walking home from dinner in evenings. We stayed in Grand Hotel Praha and relatives stayed in the adjoining apartments Apostolic Residence(best room is 101). Both share the restaurant for breakfast etc. Really atmospheric huge rooms,high ceilings with antique furniture and chandeliers in bedrooms. It faces the anatomical clock but double sash windows muffle most street noise- cant beat the location. Rest of our guests booked out The Hotel Metamorphosis directly behind us through a quaint side street into a little square with exclusive shops. Its rooms are centred round an airy courtyard and are also high ceilinged with antique courtyard. Only other highly regarded one was Hotel Rott -family owned for donkey years just a glance from Anatomical clock right next door to the Swarzkowki shop!We've already booked return visit for our 1st anniversary! Have a wonderful time!ps avoid high heels- a lot of the old town is cobbled...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -