Help with Paris & Rome Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm going to Paris with my parents. We'll be in Paris for five nights. Also in Rome for five nights.

So far, for Paris, I've made lunch reservations for Le Meurice and Jules Verne.

I think a 3* restaurant will be too pricey (I'll get scolded by my parents). I've tried a few restaurants in Paris -- Le Comptoir, Les Ambassadeurs, Le Cinq, Brasserie Lipp, Aux Lyonnais, L'Epi Dupin, Mon Vieux Ami, Le Pre Verre, etc.

Honestly I'm not dying to go back to any of these.

I think I'm looking for some recommendations for one or two very good dinners.

I was considering Les Ombres that's been mentioned so often here. That sounds fine, but it's not exactly cheap. It looks like around 100 euros -- but maybe there's a "menu" for dinner? And I'm wondering whether the view of the Eiffel Tower is the main draw? Is there something else?

Also one day we'll go to Versailles (I don't know which day yet). If I remember right, there's a restaurant in Versailles that's very highly regarded. Any thoughts on that?

I don't want to have reservations for every meal either so that there'll be some flexibility.

I'm much less familiar with the restaurants in Rome. I'll need a lot of help there. I remember reading about Agata e Romeo, and a friend has mentioned Il Convivio. I haven't researched if these are suitable yet.

Then there's La Pergola, of course. But that seems out of the way. And of course expensive. And mindful of being scolded by my parents.

Again roughly the same requirements for Paris -- a few very nice lunches and dinners. Since I really haven't been to any of the famous restaurants in Rome, my list is pretty open. I've only been to Rome three times and two of these times were extremely short trips. This is the longest visit to Rome since my first visit in 1999.

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Here is some food info from my report of early 2007:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34931625

I laughed when you wrote about being scolded by your parents about prices! When I took my parents to Paris, my Dad wanted to get Asian take-out and have dinner in the room! And that was when we were getting 9 Francs to the US dollar!
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm skimming your thread, and you went to Matricianella, which I also read about elsewhere. How was that? I read that it can get crowded though. I should do more research on this restaurant.

I was reading a thread on Chowhound. So apparently Trattoria Monti is favored by the NYT food critic Frank Bruni.

What would be your top 3 picks in Rome, say?

I keep thinking it'd be good to do something nice for them, but I'm afraid when the costs start mounting, I'll get some nagging and scolding. Plus they will be asking me how much everything costs, I'm sure. So it's not worth it.

I guess it's also a good excuse for me not to spend too much $. After all my research I now have a much better idea as to how much a truly luxurious trip will cost. Maybe in my next life I'll opt for complete luxury.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM

I am not sure exactly where you decided to stay in Rome?
You and your parents would probably enjoy eating in the old Jewish ghetto neighborhood one night. There are quite a few well established restaurants with traditional Roman dishes. Da Giggetto, Al Pompiere and Da Piperno are all options (last is the most expensive). We also thought the simpler Il Portico at Via del Portico d'Ottavia 1e was good
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recs. I'll check them.

I haven't made up my mind yet. In my hotels thread I mentioned that I've booked Ponte Sisto (in the historic center) and Hotel Raffaello (near Termini). I may book another hotel or switch to another apartment. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of these choices.

For Paris the current plan is to switch from a budget hotel near the Louvre to a nicer one in 16eme called Elysees Regencia since the budget one is only available for the first two nights anyway. I think that I probably won't reconsider these hotels (though I'm not too excited about 16eme), but I may still switch to an apartment.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM

111op: Matricianella and Monti are both excellent. I think I would give the edge on food and decor to Monti. Their food is Marchegiano, rather than Roman.

But both are local trattorie, rather than formal restaurants on the level of Parisian two- or three-stars. But both are attractive places with great atmosphere.

I have never eaten in a "fancy" Roman restaurant. In Italy, I look for the best food/value combination and don't care too much about atmosphere. So I am afraid I would be of no help with the high-end Roman places.

On my next rip, I think I would try to explore Roman places that are a bit out of the main tourist areas. One place we wanted to try but did not have time for on our last trip was Cadorna on Via Cadorna. This is a SlowFood pick, as is Monti and Armando al Pantheon, and Matricianella. Having read much about it over the years, I would not think that La Pergola is a must..but that is only my own taste.

Les Ombres gets mentioned here often for the view but of all the people who mention it, how many have eaten there?

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I see what you mean. As I mentioned, I'm not looking solely for starred restaurants either. Something basic but excellent is great as well.

Apparently the chef at La Pergola is German. I'd have thought that this is the sort of restaurant that just rests on its laurels, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that it's really good. I think that it's the only 3* in Rome, if I remember right. And it has a nice view. I'll think about whether I want to take my parents there.

When you say it's not a must, are you saying the food doesn't appeal? Or you think it's a waste of $?

Le Meurice has three stars, but I've a lunch booking because I know that I'll definitely be scolded by my parents for dinner. As much as I want them to be comfortable, an overly fancy dinner won't be in our interest -- financial or otherwise.

I'm interested in trying L'Astrance since it's rare that I'm spending five nights (and actually some weeknights in Paris -- when this restaurant is actually open), but most likely it's too late now anyway, plus as I said, I don't think it'd be good to try this with my parents.

I forgot to mention that I've also been to Senderens in Paris.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I've done some research for Rome, and I think Il Convivio has lost its Michelin star.

Il Pagliaccio has one.

And how about Quinzi e Gabrieli? It had a Michelin star at one point, but not sure if it still has one.

Mirabelle is supposed to have nice views also.

I found one bad review here and one lukewarm review of La Pergola elsewhere on the web. In general most guidebooks seem very positive. I can't find the restaurant's prices on its website.

Any comments on any of these and other restaurants?
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, 111,

i think i read that gordon Ramsey has just opened a restaurant in Versailles.

that might fit the bill.

regards, ann
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That's news to me. I'll research. I know that there's a really well regarded restaurant in Versailles that's been around for a while.

On the other hand, we don't need a fancy meal every meal either, as I mentioned. I'll just choose a few from a list and see what's available.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I really liked Le Pamphlet, which I think is very good value for very good food.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the news:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3521972.ece

Looks like it opened on March 26.

Maybe he took over the old restaurant. I seem to recall that one was in some palace as well. The prices will probably be "breathtaking."
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

This is an interesting article on the new venture from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl....html#continue

Restauarnt's website:
http://www.gordonramsay.com/versailles/

The "Veranda," understandably, is much cheaper. The main one only has 10 tables, it sounds like.

Thanks again for drawing this to my attention!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I am in Rome right now, trying to decide whether to keep my reservation for Mirabelle on Sunday. Do people have any first-hand experience to report? Thanks!

I made no other reservations except for dinner at Il Pagliaccio tomorrow. We ate at Armando earlier tonight.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM

We have reservations for Armando in September. What did you think of the food?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

It's solid and decent. Maureen Fant likes this restaurant. We were at the Pantheon and walked in around 7 pm without a reservation.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. We are looking forward to it.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I'll answer my question on Mirabelle.

We just came back from dinner at Mirabelle. Food was fine, if not excellent, and we got a nice view. The terrace offers unobstructed views. I was very relieved. Dinner was 300 euros for the three of us. We skipped dessert and didn't have wine. Just two bottles of mineral water.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM

We just got back. Loved the dinner at Les Ombres.. Food service was excellent.. the view outstanding.. One of the best nights/dinners there.. I would also go onto Chowhounds.com. They are more into food on that site.. many suggestions.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM

La Pergola is amazing...probably best meal of our lives and we have eaten in many 3* restaurants in France...but...tres expensive!! I would not eat there unless I am with people who would enjoy that experience.
Les Ombres is well priced for lunch..check out their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -